Reviews for Hanging by a Moment
irismay42 chapter 1 . 8/10/2007
Well, you had me just by naming this after a Lifehouse song, so it was no wonder I enjoyed it so much really! I loved the part about Sam being left alone as a kid when Dean started hunting with John - I'd never really thought about that happening - and it was really touching how he didn't like spending nights alone and just wanted Dean to come back. And then of course, Dean's guilt at Sam almost being killed because he'd left him alone - really played into Dean's incredibly powerful sense of responsibility for Sam.

I liked the jokes about Sam's little strangulation fetish too... Very nicely done!
lekelly chapter 1 . 8/10/2007
Thanks very much , loved it, Lorraine
Nana56 chapter 1 . 8/10/2007
Beautiful! Fantastic! Loved it! Well done! Just think of any superlatives you can and apply them here.

I really enjoyed this a lot. Your descriptions were terrific and I felt everything.
JJ Phoenix chapter 1 . 8/9/2007
As much as I loved the second season, it was severely lacking in the Sam's-neck-gets-attacked department. I do hope season three makes up for it. ;)

I'm glad you didn't go the hospital route with this one... As much as we like to write it in fic, the boys really haven't had many hospital visits in canon and it sometimes seems more realistic when they handle things themselves.

Yay for hanging!Sam!

- me
River City1 chapter 1 . 8/9/2007
Good story! Very suspenseful!
calcium77 chapter 1 . 8/9/2007
Thanks for the story! I am having a crappy week too and this cheered me up. (Ok, is it wrong to be cheered up by reading about someone almost dying?)

Thanks again!
Rachelly chapter 1 . 8/9/2007
Hey FAye! This was awesome! I was so excited to see you had posted a new piece! I love your writing and have been in need of a good "Faye" limpSam piece. This totally fit the bill. I thought the story line was great...a whole possie of ghosts going after Sam and all the angsty goodness of Dean feeling panicked, guilty, and desperate to get to Sam before it was too late and then again to bring him back to life. I loved all the details and how you took your time explaining Dean's thoughts and him trying to get Sam down. The ghosts were just plain creepy and very much in cannon with SN. Loved the description of Sam's experience with he could feel them hit him, carrying him, and yet not be able to make contact with them when he fought back. Very cool!

Loved the interactions between the brothers...

My favorite part was this...

It was only a second before Dean's eyes went wide and the corners of his mouth fell, tugging slightly downward.

Sam just stared, trying to figure out what on earth his brother was doing.

Dean maintained the eye contact, a small line creasing his forehead, and finally Sam got it.

His brother was trying to puppy dog him into submission.

I just loved this part! DEAN trying "the puppy" on Sam. LOL!

Great story! Great job! Thanks for the limpSam fix!
SophieSaulie chapter 1 . 8/9/2007
I LOVED this story. Well done and true to the characters and I enjoyed Dean's protectiveness and how it wars with his desires. You portrayed so well how heavy Dean's burden is and how he is reminded of his responsibility in harsh reality and even though there was no way he could have known what would happen, he equates the fact that when he wanted something and it almost cost Sam his life so in his eyes, he can't ever give in to what he wants in order to save Sam. AWESOME stuff! And, man, do I LOVE Dean angst!

Fav. parts:

Moving through the living room again, he pocketed the phone, and headed toward the door. "I've got to go," he said, trying to sound a little apologetic for Heather's sake, even though he didn't actually care if she believed him or not.

"I don't understand," she said. "I mean, you didn't even eat your sandwich."

"It's not you," he assured her. "It's me. Work before everything. I'll call you, okay?"

- this admission hurts SO much!

The rooms had never seemed so creepy before that. He'd never noticed the little nighttime noises when Dean had stayed with him. He'd always been able to feel safe in Dean's confidence, safe with Dean's steadiness with the gun, safe with Dean's easy joking.

- Who wouldn't feel safe? Hee, hee!

A lot had changed since then, and in the time since Jess had died, he'd clung to Dean in more ways than his macho ego would let him admit. He could handle a lot of things on his own, but being alone at night was never something he was good at.

- I like the idea of a clingy Sam!

Sam had been coherent enough to walk into the motel room, but out of it enough to let Dean tuck him in. Dean would have used it as fodder had the situation not been what it was. Sam's body was recovering from a real trauma, a trauma that Dean could not shirk responsibility for.

He swallowed reflexively. Chest pain. That meant...

No wonder Dean looked so freaked. A little mouth to mouth resuscitation was traumatic under any circumstances, and Dean had undoubtedly cut him down from a tree most certainly dead and brought him back to life.

Looking up, he saw his brother again. Even in sleep, Dean looked exhausted. He hadn't even gotten under the covers last night, no doubt because he'd spent most of it hovering over Sam.

- I love Sam angst too!

"It's called asking for help," Dean told him pointedly before getting up and moving to the other bed. He sat down and tried to look Sam in the eyes. "You need to take it easy. You're lucky I didn't haul your ass down the hospital."

- I LOVE this "It's called asking for help" because Dean insists he be asked for helped, but not asking for help himself.

"Sam, I'm serious. I almost got you killed in the first place, and I'm not about to let you-"

"You're not responsible for this," Sam insisted, his annoyance flaring again.

Dean, however, was persistent. "If I hadn't left you alone-"

"Then they would have hanged us both."

"You wanted to leave," Dean said, shaking his head vehemently. "I should have listened to you."

"Dean, you never listen to me," Sam said. "Why should now be any different?"

"Because I have to save you!" Dean exploded suddenly, pounding his fist into the pillow. He stood, stalking away, his anger simmering. "I promised you."

Sam stared, a bit shocked.

"It's my job to keep you safe," Dean finally continued, his voice quiet.

The guilt in Dean's voice was overwhelming. The burden, nearly insurmountable. And that was Sam's fault, Sam's fault for asking so much of his brother. Sam's fault for needing so much.

- OH, I LOVED THIS WHOLE EXCHANGE! So like Dean! It's perfect!

"Well, since doing our own thing has worked so well for us in the past," Sam commented snidely. That was a fact neither could dispute. Sam leaving for college, Dean keeping the secret from him, Sam leaving him to figure it out on his own-all those choices, those separations, had led them to this. "We need each other, and this attitude that we can do it alone or that we hold all the cards is exactly what the Demon can use against us, and you know it."

- Great and so logical!

Wonderful job and story and my favorite, great Dean angst!
Lisette chapter 1 . 8/9/2007
Let's see... angst, drama, oodles of delicious limp-Sam, and an honest-to-god heart-to-heart... what's not to like?

Seriously, great writing, as always. You did a one-shot, kept it short, and yet still managed to include a full story-line with plot and everything. There were a few grammar gaffs, but nothing serious, and as always you do a great job of giving us descriptions with full Dean and Sam-esque dialouge... plus I just love the way you write BOTH our boys.

*grins* You know, from this story it would be hard to tell that you're a Sam-girl through and through. Certain other fans (wink wink, nudge nudge) should take this as a lesson - how you can be partial towards one of the boys, and yet understand that both boys need to be included and paid their due respect - and how anyone can write a story that gives due honor to both.

I love how Sam got beat down in true beat-down fashion, and that Dean came to the rescue and agonized over this guilt, with Sam assuaging him as best as possible. I also love that you gave us Limp!Sam without also giving us Incompetant!Sam - something that, sadly, too few people are capable of doing.

For the record, I think my favorite line was: Sam had been beaten and hanged and abandoned, but Sam would be fine. Mainly for the part about SAM being ABANDONED. All too few do we see this in fanfiction or in canon, and it really has a nice, fresh ring to it.

I also liked the heart-to-heart, though the resolution seemed to come slightly swift - not a bad thing, however, for I'm not sure that dragging it on would have added to the story.

All in all, an excellent ficlet and an enjoyable read!
shelby02 chapter 1 . 8/9/2007
Thanks for another well written limp!Sam story. I was just thinking this morning "It should be about time for a new story from Faye Dartmouth" and there you were! You never fail to disappoint.
Robin Vogel chapter 1 . 8/9/2007
As always, a wonderful story that proves how very well you know the Winchester brothers! I always hurry over to read one of your stories because I know I'm in for a treat. Thanks so much, once again, for an excellent read! Love, Robin
filan vampire chapter 1 . 8/9/2007
So what are they going to have to do with the rest of the spirits? Finally you are writing again! BUt a one-shot! that's not enough to fulfil my hunger for your writings! hhehee

Cant wait for your next story. Love this. Damn. Sammy really has an affinity with choking. :S
Dawn N chapter 1 . 8/9/2007
Loved it! :-) :happy dance:
Tyranusfan chapter 1 . 8/9/2007
Great job! I'm glad you didn't end up in the hospital, this is a refreshingly different resolution to a story. Well done!
funkyspunk chapter 1 . 8/9/2007
WOW faye! This is absolutely awesome! Such a gripping fic!

I'm so glad it was a oneshot, I would have died waiting for the second chapter! Amazing work! You had me holding my breath right from the first word to the last, and the limpness was pouring over the edge! Beautifully written, and descriptively too! From Sam's fear alone in the motel room, to being hanged and surrendering to unconsciousness. And then there was wrote his part so well!

All I can say right now, is you have mega unique talent. You had me on the edge of my seat feeling each emotion has it passed the boys, and absolute perfect oneshot.

Thanks for sharing! You rock!

34 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »