Reviews for Hell Is In Ourselves
Saint Snape chapter 2 . 11/2/2014
Beautifully written story that broke my heart all over again for Severus.
The Quiller chapter 2 . 9/26/2011
I made the mistake of reading this with the song 'Hallelujah' playing in the background, and as I read the last few scenes, I was hearing 'it's not a cry you can hear at night, it's not somebody who's seen the light, it's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah.'

I think I sat in front of my computer and just stared at the screen for a long time. As someone who spent so much time on the forums theorizing about Snape's alliance before DH, and even after, debating whether Snape was a good person or not, whether his actions were justified or not, I think it's just now sinking in for me that clear-cut categories like good and bad, justified or unjustified, don't matter a whit for Severus Snape. He was a man in love, a man in pain, so very strong and so very weak, but more than anything, so very, very brave.

It's this kind of magic that makes fictional characters even realer than the people we meet in real life, sometimes.

Wonderful job.
poppaeasabina chapter 2 . 10/2/2008
Severus' anguish is so beautiful, and I KNOW that Lily Potter doesn't deserve his undying love. As for Dumbledore: to think everybody says that SNAPE is sadistic. D. actually strikes me as worse than Voldemort, who at least enjoys his own cruelty. Albus really puts me in mind of the Nazis who inured themselves to cruelty because it was *necessary.* What difference does it make that Albus sends one child to his death while Voldemort sends hundreds? Harry's life is as precious as anybody else's. You notice that Minerva didn't think sacrificing him for the lives of everybody in the castle was a reasonable arrangement. So Albus sheds a lone, hypocritical, crocodile tear for Harry, meanwhile cutting Severus' heart out as indifferently as a butcher dressing a chicken.
trekker2002 chapter 2 . 8/5/2008
Beautiful writing. I read this months ago and failed to review for which I apologise. Definitely a favourite.
Tenpou chapter 2 . 8/16/2007
Ah, I needed a good cry. This is so well writen. I started to feel an even deeper pain then the one I had while reading the book. It makes me feel even closer to the character, understanding him more and excepting everything that was explained in the books about him.
P'tfami chapter 1 . 8/13/2007
Very thought provoking pieces. I'm quite impressed with the flow and maturity of thoughts regarding Snape. You haven't depicted him as a scoundrel or a saint (as Rita Skeeter would title her article), but as a person with deep moral complexities.

I've always felt that the Lily/Severus relationship can be best summed up in another biblical quote:"No man hath greater love than to lay down his life for his friend."

The first story seemed to have a few grammatical mistakes, but rectified itself as the vignettes proceeded.

Brilliant job.
Iva1201 chapter 2 . 8/10/2007
I am sorry but I will not read the four last paragraphs - I told you before I was scared to find them here. But otherwise a really good fic and I thank you for it. (-:
Iva1201 chapter 1 . 8/10/2007
Very nicely and accurate written - looking forward to the next chapter even if I already know you made this quite canon and therefore, damn it, Snape will probably die there. )-:
A Shining Armour chapter 2 . 8/10/2007
Nice! I really liked this little snippet into Snape's perspective... I've haven't found anything on FFnet that comes as close to canon-Snape as yours does. I'm really, really impressed and this is going to my favourites for sure.

One question though... do you really, truly believe that Snape loathed Harry? Forever? This has nothing to do with your vingettes themselves, just a question of interest; I'd like to hear your opinion on it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Snape ever *loved* Harry. But that one scene with the Patronus... technically, doesn't Albus already know that Snape has loved Lily for all these years? Why on earth would he start crying with that news... I had assumed the complete opposite; Albus realized Snape begrudgingly, angrily, resentfully had become drawn to Harry as the sole purpose of life.

I'm not picking a bone with you or anything! I loved this piece, it was lovely. I would just love to hear what you have to say about it.

Thank you for the wonderful read. :)

~Lucky
Rachel chapter 2 . 8/10/2007
This was just so beautiful. I especially loved the closing two reflections, when Snape begins to allow the love he feels for Lily to help him understand the goodness and self-sacrifice that both Lily and Harry embraced, to look at seemingly senseless loss and find meaning in it through their eyes. "It feels like he has only begun to repent." And when he realizes that love is its own reward, that despite its pains it is infinitely preferable to the emptiness of Voldemort's "freedom," and that his unrequited romance has not robbed him of Lily's love in the ways that most profoundly matter - I thought that this was his redemption and his peace, beautifully expressed. Thanks so much for this insightful and lovely story.
wynnleaf chapter 2 . 8/10/2007
This is a truly beautiful piece of writing. In particular, the way you give us Snape's thoughts and understanding of Voldemort, along with his growing understanding of Albus. I really felt, in DH, that Albus did not understand personal love for one individual very well, although he cared for others, such as Harry and even perhaps Severus over time. But within DH, I felt that Snape's ability to care for others grew beyond Lily, but maybe because he didn't feel it as "love" he didn't quite recognize it within himself. But his concern and care for the protection of others was a form of love, even if not the same as for Lily.
whitehound chapter 2 . 8/10/2007
Beautiful and clever. I don't believe, though, that he *only* cared about Lily - if nothing else, the comment about only watching people killed if he was unable to save them, and him nearly blowing his cover in an attempt to stop somebody killing Remus, show he had a more general care for others. But he may not think of that as love because it's grudging and difficult.

And he's quite right that Albus doesn't really understand love, even though he admires it in the abstract. Albus feels very guilty about his sister, but we've no evidence he actually misses her, rather than that he wants to assuage his guilt by apologizing to her.
duj chapter 2 . 8/9/2007
You make more sense of DH than the author did. Brilliant insight and characterisation.
excessivelyperky chapter 2 . 8/9/2007
Of course he's not afraid of death-Dante himself couldn't think of anything worse than his life, especially with both Voldemort and Dumbledore smacking him around like a Bludger between two Beaters.

At last he is free.