Reviews for Raising Harry: La Vida Muggle
Mikee chapter 11 . 8/18/2007
Loved the quote on the shirt, ‘Never irritate dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup.’ I had to smile at that.

I liked Harry going through the trunk, and especially that he organized his father's notes and such. I'm hoping he will refer back to them as he goes through his studies.

Aw ... how sweet. Harry still has Mr. Blue. That's cool.! I still love cuddley toys, and am glad Harry still loves his Mr. Blue.

I noticed in your bio page that you've already started the sequel. I am impressed, and moving right along to it.

Thank you.
Mikee chapter 10 . 8/18/2007
And yet another fine chapter. I loved Severus' list of books for Harry - especially that they weren't all potion-directed, and that occlumency and legillemcy was included was brilliant. (I also like that you underlined the book titles - I'm the only other person I know who follows that 'rule' of writing - well done.*grin*)

Something I meant to mention in an earlier 'review' was that I like the little asides you insert here and there. Thinks like: Another wait of several minutes passed, during which Dave muttered, “I hate bureaucracy.” Little bits like this really aid in character development, and are such a pleasure to encounter. Again, well done.

I liked Dave going into the vault with Harry. I'm afraid I'd have been back with the goblin with Harry's mother - roller-coasters are not for me *LOL*.

I really liked James' letter to Harry - I especially liked the idea of Voldie slow-roasting over a volcano. I've never heard that before, but I really like the visual it provides. I loved it that the prophesy was included in the letter, and that Harry now knows 'the truth' behind Volies's obsession with him. That parting-shot about red-heads was the perfect note on which to end. The levity was perfectly timed.

Harry's first meeting with Hermione was interesting. Sounds like she's going to be surprised when she finds out that Harry isn't stupid after all *grin*. Dun ya' jest love steriotypes...?

I know this kinda rambled on, but ... what can I say ... I love the story. *shrugs*

Thank you.
The Unicorn chapter 11 . 8/18/2007
Very nice story overall despite the few problems I noted. So far it looks like you managed a nice balance between super!harry and incompetant!harry. I do wonder how British society will react to a Harry with the proper attitude towards firearms.

Hope you start posting the next part soon.

The Unicorn chapter 9 . 8/18/2007
I liked having A.J a witch however I'll note that your idea of what Voldie and the DE do as implied by Snape thinking the cat's head exploding was the most disgusting thing he'd ever seen is extremly mild to the point of unbelivability. I'll note that there are in canon several explosive and cutting Hexes so Snape would have at least SEEN if not helped create human bodies in a condition similar to that of the cougar.

Also I think you overstated the amount of damage a .22 would do even at such close range. I'm not questioning the Cougar being killed but the head exploding seems a bit much.

The Unicorn chapter 5 . 8/18/2007
Nice story so far, and I really like the way you depict Aurilla and Harry and her relationship. However there are a few problems.

-If a teacher is on probation, especially becuase of her not treating a student fairly the Principal/school board would be expected to arrange for someone to look in on her classes in spot inspections. That being the case she couldn't afford to act as you've described her acting.

-Why wasn't Harry given placment tests and possibly have him skip to first grade? Especially seeing as with the way the Kindergarden is managed it's unlikely in the extreme to help him develop any positive social skills?

-Why didn't Aurilia at least consider the homeschool option? It's obvious she's quite capable of it.

-There's no way a good parent who spends any significant amount of time with their child would miss the bruises you've described Harry getting so in order for the story to progress the way you've described Harry would have to be consistantly and skillfully lying to his mom, a skill I doubt he posseses and even if he did the result would severly damage his relationship with his mom.

daewos chapter 11 . 8/17/2007
I am rather surprised with this story. I tend to dislike Young Harry stories as so many authors make him unbearably cute. (There are times I would like to reach into the story just to slap him about the head!). So I am rather surprised that I thoroughly enjoyed your story. The characterisation was first rate and you did not rush the story, concentrating on the "normality" of Harry and creating a very likeable character. I did find the Hermione comment amusing - I assume she will be learning the errors of her ways!

An excellent story and I am really looking forward to seeing how you develop it further. I would agree with your other reviewer about Ginny, although it is canon - I would prefer a different pairing, I have always liked a Harry/Susan or Harry/Daphne pairing personally (hint, hint!)
CLIFF73 chapter 1 . 8/17/2007
I loved this story. Was hoping you would be having A.J. going to Hogwarts with Harry. Read the whole story in one sitting. Can not wait for the next part.
Lucinda chapter 11 . 8/17/2007
This is an interesting alternate upbringing for Harry. I wonder how Hogwarts will go for him? If he will still be sorted the same way, make the same friends and enemies...
djo1 chapter 11 . 8/17/2007
Just read the whole story - and I liked it! Very much so even, and really looking forward to the following stories (keep pushing your betas ;-)).

I just have 1 request, please: I agree with you that teenagers won't find their soul mates - but please don't put Harry with Ginny; even if this pairing is canon in my opinion it is just wrong. Any other girl (sorry, I am not into slash) is better.

I put you on author alert to keep an eye on you ;-)
crazedykid chapter 11 . 8/17/2007
I think this story is fantastic.
Alorkin chapter 10 . 8/17/2007
Ch 9: I'm amazed at how fast you cranked this out. Each chapter is well written and very tellable. It really doesn't surprise me that AJ is a witch. It works for continuity. I might point out a thing or two, though. In America, the Game is Quodpot, (Errh?) and I would wonder why Portkeys and apparation are the same names as in Britain.

It's a shame Harry had to kill the cougar. It would have been nice if he had had the two wizards stun the beast for transport to a zoo. Oh well.

Ch 10: WOW! School supplies are really expensive! Your conversion rates are more realistic than most, and at least you don't have Harry going on a spending spree that let's him spend 30 pounds on a few shirts some slacks and a pair of shoes. I always wondered why authors don't do their research. What would Harry need a Versache suit for anyway?

It looks like you've made James the (part-time) seer instead of the more common Lily. He doesn't trust his gift, but it's too persistent to ignore. Of course, knowing the Dursleys like he probably does, he wouldn't have to be a seer to know they would abuse Harry.

The Diagon Alley visit seemed to go well, and fortunately Harry didn't meet Malfoy. I have a feeling he'd have punched the platinum prat in the nose if he had. (Now, why, with all their money, didn't the Malfoys just have a custom robemaker attend them in their home?)

As before, I eagerly await the next page(s) of 'La Vida Muggle'. Alorkin
Allen Pitt chapter 11 . 8/17/2007
In a way it's too bad this Snape has a better opinion of him, I could just see him sneering at his american accent... funny how Hermione thought he must be stupid...one wonders what House he'll be sorted into. Yes, the Sorting Hat in the book tried to put him in slytherin, but I always had the impression it was kind of testing him...I think it would have put him into Gryff. almost no matter how he'd answered it-

Kind of funny how he doesn't understand the significance of the letter from james P... then again Fudge would likely just say "So what-they obviously later switched Secret keepers-ie it's not solid proof of innocence- the 'proof' of guilt is SB murdering Peter, after all-
hemotem chapter 11 . 8/17/2007
Aw I realy do hope you dont put him in griff Huff maybe or ravenclaw would be best with his brain power.

Great story I have enjoyed reading it alot.

Hemotem
FrequencyQueen chapter 5 . 8/17/2007
Children can be so cruel to someone who doesn't fit in - its like chickens killing one that looks different.
FrequencyQueen chapter 4 . 8/17/2007
Interesting powers Harry has. I like the way Harry interacts with his mom.
214 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 .. Last Next »