Reviews for Compelled to Play the Great Game
silvereagle2121 chapter 32 . 5/27
Freaking awesome story! This series is great. I am really enjoying reading all of it. And I cant wait to see what the First does now. The sequel(s) should be amazing.
766ttgrtrt chapter 32 . 2/11
powers to be, so not good guys
EagleJarl chapter 32 . 1/27/2014
Nice to see the First doing something other than spinning its wheels and mocking people while wearing the face of their loved ones. The First was always my least favorite Buffy villain (yes, I even preferred the Three Nerds as villains), because it was so one-dimensional and boring. I'm glad you're having it do something fresh.
EagleJarl chapter 30 . 1/27/2014
I gather this is a season 8 thing, but in the usual Buffyverse, vampires do by have transformation power. Is this a new breed or something? For those of us who haven't read the comics, a sentence or two of explanation at the bottom would be really nice.

Whether or not Buffy planned it, makin Enyo look ridiculous like that can only help her position. It'll have some of the other girls laughing, which will take her off the pedestal a bit. And if it makes E angry and she misbehaves, Buffy gets to be the reasonable one. If I didn't know better, I would say Buffy totally planned that.
EagleJarl chapter 29 . 1/27/2014
Yep. Pretty dark indeed. Entirely believable, sadly. :(

Gotta love Amy gettin' her mojo on, oh yeah! And the "Darth Rosenberg" comment cracked me up.
EagleJarl chapter 28 . 1/27/2014
I really do live Jay and Silent Bob. They may actually be my favorite characters in the whole shebang.

I would expect that Slayers would actually be fine with zombies - decapitate them and they go down just fine, and the girls are all about the slicing and dicing.
EagleJarl chapter 27 . 1/27/2014
See a slayer get schooled is always a hoot, especially when she's dumb enough to go bust and then start bartering to stay in the game.

Also, the idea of Drogyn in 501s dating a teenager is hilarious.
EagleJarl chapter 26 . 1/27/2014
This reminds me of Starship Troopers a lot. Got to wonder how long the girls could actually survive in hand to hand against an effectively infinite number of supposedly-hard-to-kill bug demons. But, it makes a great read so, sure.

I am surprised that they portalled in so far away; it rendered the primary mission non-doable. Are they going to do the same tomorrow, yet somehow reach the temple? Or will they come in closer, in which case why not do it today? Well, I suppose today's trip allowed them to scout the terrain and it cut off a lot of bridges, making it harder for the bugs to reach the temple to defend it. Maybe that was the idea.
EagleJarl chapter 25 . 1/27/2014
Oorah! Go, gunslayers!

This was pretty badass. I like these girls more and more. And, although your description of the shield / sword is accurate and poetic, there's another framework that fits too: slayers are police, gunslayers are soldiers.
EagleJarl chapter 21 . 1/27/2014
Gotta live the gunslayers. Kinda crazy, definitely not nice, but hella effective and lots of fun. And I can totally see them blasting Ride of the Valkyries as they ride around in the chopper with miniguns and doorguns every which way.
EagleJarl chapter 11 . 1/26/2014
You know, Ashton is surprisingly chivalrous for a merc. He apparently will turn down any drunk girl, no matter how hot. And being offered a throw by Glory? I mean sure, she's an evil, narcissistic, arrogant bitch, but she's a God and she's hot. How many guys can say they banged a God? Well...aside from Wesley. And Rebecca's old boyfriends. And Connor, sort of. (As the Key, Dawn is sorta like a God, right?) Ok, there's actually a fair number of guys who can say that. And Ashton was probably being pretty sensible with that decision. Never mind, I withdraw the comment.

Also, seeing Glory get pwned? So very full of win.
EagleJarl chapter 9 . 1/26/2014
Ah, Mommy's little schemer. The Demi-Goddess of Destruction is so CUTE when she's being all manipulative and stuff! :)

The bet about the "star" going out was great. Illyria: more tricky and schemerrific than anybody!
EagleJarl chapter 3 . 1/26/2014
I'm liking where this is going and I think everyone is in character but I really want to slap Buffy for wasting five years and potentially dooming literally *trillions* of sentient beings to death or enslavement just because she wants to be wishy washy.

On a separate topic, something I've been meaning to say for all three books: cut it out with the smirking. "Smirk" is, more or less, shorthand for "smug jerk"; the characters on the show pretty much never smirked at each other, but you have them doing it a lot.
EagleJarl chapter 1 . 1/26/2014
Yep, this beginning was everything I had hoped for. Sounds like the team is going to be running as fast as they can just not to be smooshed. Excellent, that's exactly the way it should be - the heroes should always start off as the underdogs. I'm loving the plot potential. Can't wait to see where you go with it.
tenchifew chapter 32 . 6/14/2013
Fascinating story.
Great plot, battles and politicking.
Thank you for writing.