Reviews for The Memory Remains
myrtlemugwort chapter 1 . 8/19/2007
Hi, great episodes like this really need a good fiction tag and this one was a great read. I see you've had lots of praise for it and instead of just adding to this I would like to point out a couple of places where the story didn't quite fit for me - this isn't a complaint, but just drawing your attention to a few problems I had.

“Missed you mum.” Typo? Dean calls his mother "mom", never heard him or Sam say mum.

I liked the way you stressed how thoroughly exhausted and beaten Dean was - being strung up by his wrists and half bled to death he should be. However I don't think you really followed this through in a couple of places.

I know Dean is this big tough guy, but after the blood loss and physical trauma I really don't think he would have allowed himself or trusted his body to lift that poor girl - yes, he felt he owed her, but Dean would have put her before his macho feelings and made Sam treat her carefully - you state how he can hardly stand up himself, it really doesn't follow logic.

"Sam ran his hand across his brother’s brow. He was warm to the touch" - Surely with the blood loss, Dean would have felt cold rather than hot? Water, he needed water, especially if he wasn't going in the hospital, Sam I would have thought would have some either in the car or bought some at the hospital.

"Sam gave no option to his brother, instead he pulled his arm around his shoulders " I'm unsure of this sentence, but I presume you mean Sam pulled Dean's arm around his shoulder? If Dean had been strung up by his wrists for any length of time, lifting his arm up would have been sheer agony, I doubt he would have even been able to move his arms for some considerable time.

I also never agree with anyone, even 6ft 5 Sam being able to scoop up another man in their arms - Dean is 6ft tall, laid out in anyone's arms he just wouldn't fit through a door never mind the damage to his neck and the lifters back! Fireman's lift over the shoulder - yes, but picked up as one would a child? Nope. It wasn't quite clear which lift Sam used, it seemed he was considering the scoop, I hope in the end he did sling Dean over his shoulder?

In the motel you had some nice scenes with the brothers, a little flowery in places for me but still there were a couple of things that bothered me.

Someone with low blood pressure should lie flat with feet slightly raised not propped up.

Sam cleaning Dean's face and hands was a lovely touch, but then hauling him in the shower? Someone half concious? Sorry, I didn't follow that logic, what was even stranger was you allowed Sam to undress his brother, get him in and out of the shower but then you dressed Dean again before Sam inspects him for injuries, surely Sam would have seen any injury when Dean was naked?

I really enjoyed reading this though. :)
heather03nmg chapter 1 . 8/18/2007
I fully agree with you, Kripke never gives us enough hurt or fluff on the show. Thank goodness I have you to fill that need!

Well I absolutely loved this little fic. It was amazing from start to finish and there were so many beautiful scenes so prepare yourself for a long review...maybe grab some cookies.

Favorite scenes,

Dean allowed his head to rest against the cool glass of the passenger window. He ached all over, but the worst ache of all was in his heart. His broken heart.

He’d had it all. Everything. But Sam.

His Sam.

Ah, the angst! Dean had everything but the most important thing, his Sammy. That was such a simple line but so powerful.

Another fave,

“Why don’t we get you cleaned up hey? Let’s go back home.”

At that Dean did look up, the look in his eyes devastated Sam. The shock of the emotion within the green depths threatening to knock him out of the car and onto his ass in the dirt below.

“I am home.”

His brother had never looked so broken.

Aww, my poor Dean all broken but still he has his home back...his Impala and his Sammy. That was so sweet!

And another,

Yet to have that second chance, to have the object of their desire given to them? Could that be the push a person needed to leap from the edge and plummet into the darkness beyond?

Not his brother.

Not his Dean.

Not on his watch.

I just love, love, love overprotective Sammy. Just warms my heart!

And still another,

“I can walk.”

“You can barely stand so shut up and let me help.”

As they reached the threshold of the room Dean’s legs gave way and Sam gave into the temptation through necessity and carried his brother in, placing him onto the furthest bed from the door.

Sweet brotherly fluff, no story is complete without it. The image of Sammy carrying his big brother just makes me melt.

Still more,

Dean breathed deep as the smell made it’s way into the small bathroom. He couldn’t help but smile. This was something that only his Sam would know, only his Sam would remember.

His Sammy.

Standing to make his way into the main room Dean’s world tilted and he reached out blindly for the sink, the wall, anything to hold onto. His hands found warmth, found strength and held on tight as Sam kept him upright, kept talking to him. Assuring him he was ok. He was ok.

I love how you keep reinforcing "his Sammy" like Dean needs to remind himself that all is well because he has his Sammy back.

And last but not least,

By the time Sam put away the first aid kit Dean’s eyes were closed and his breathing even and deep. With no need to stay awake any longer he’d allowed his mind to wander the road of nothingness toward blessed oblivion, hoping against hopes that no dreams would plague his fragile mind tonight. Unaware of the little brother that pulled the covers close around him, who pulled out a pillow so that he was laying more comfortably and able to roll slightly to the side to ease the ache in his back from being hung from a ceiling. Unaware yet so certain in the feeling and belief that he was safe and being watched over by the only true family he ever had.

His Sam.

Aww that was *sniff* just beautiful. Dean all safe and secure knowing that his Sammy was watching over him. I love the fluff with Sammy tucking in his big brother. You're incredible and I love you!

Thanks for giving me another amazing story to savor, cherish, and reread. Hope you're still awake after the review (I swear I'm wordier than some of the authors on this site)

Promise not to disappear for so long next time. We need you over here!

Cookies for you and your awesomeness!
NC Girl chapter 1 . 8/15/2007
I really enjoyed this! And you have some excellent passages here, such as:

"“What?” Questioned Sam, his head quirked to the side like a puppy searching for it‘s owner.

“I’m not gonna disappear.”

Sam eased his hold but didn’t remove his hands.

“I know you’re not, but I want you to know that I won’t either.”

This is such a simple, but extremely touching exchange between the brothers!

"He stood that way for minutes uncounted, the warmth of the water receding to a luke warm reminder that nothing perfect lasts forever."

REALLY nice imagery, here!

And...

"No matter where they had stayed, the back wood cabins, the dirt cheap motels and the run down buildings, there was always a smell of coffee to make the place home. John may have developed his own caffeine addiction long before his sons knew what coffee was, but thanks to the warm and comforting smell that always signalled that they were safe and home, he’d ignited a need and addiction in his sons that no amount of will power would ever break."

I think this is extremely powerful, really, and very well written.

Thanks for posting this! I truly enjoyed it. :)
Valtira chapter 1 . 8/14/2007
This story was truly amazing. I cried buckets of tears. Dean was broken before the Djinn got hold of him. That ep was so heartbreaking and this story brings all his heartbreak into the light. But Sammy was there - Thank you!
Sarah chapter 1 . 8/14/2007
There I go again, reading spoilers for an episode that hasn't aired in my little corner of the world yet. I know I shouldn't, I keep telling myself that I will ruin it for myself, but I can't seem to help myself. You write Dean-whump so well that I have to read it, no matter how many spoilers it contains. I wonder if there is a support group for that? Or maybe all of your faithful readers should get together with me and form one of our own. Then we can really hash out how much we love your work.

You got to meet Jensen...I'm so jealous. You lucky girl.
heyesgirl chapter 1 . 8/14/2007
Great story. You are right - that was an episode that needed more h/c and brotherly interaction. Great scene you wrote. I can really see it fitting in the show. and this line was just great - "The way her late father had made her feel. That ever encompassing ‘safe’ that only certain men possessed. Most without even knowing it. With one look, one word, one touch; you knew you were alright. You were safe.". Really moving.
thebondgirl chapter 1 . 8/13/2007
reviews feed your soul just like your fics always feed my winchester-angst addiction ;)

i cannot fully describe just how much i loved this piece... i guess it could kinda speak for itself in the fact that i'm dead tired, but felt like reading at least a few lines of your new fic before i went to sleep, only to end up reading the entire thing - i just couldn't bring myself to stop right in the middle of this wonderful flow of hurt/comfort/angst/winchester-goodness :P

girl, you're friggin' awesome! - (and i'll definitely let you know if ever i think of a Supernatural plot bunny that needs hatching!)

catch ya later! *hugs* and thanks so much for another awesome fic!
pandora jazz chapter 1 . 8/13/2007
You did a wonderful job writing the missing scene.

I loved how you started your story and the lines, 'They were each other's strengths and weaknesses. No matter what came along, no matter what force tried to pull them apart they always found their own way home to each other.'

So glad that Dean chose to find his way back to 'his Sam,' even if that meant leaving his dream mom.

I liked Sam's thoughts as you referenced the episode 'Faith,'and how Sam wanted to protect Dean putting him in the farthest bed from the door.

It would make sense that Dean would be drained both physically and emotionally after experiencing the dream world.

I loved how Sam took care of Dean. No questions till morning, just being there.

Excellent job of having your story flow right into the brother's conversation the following morning.

Thanks for sharing another story with us.

Until next time, take care.
Ghostwriter chapter 1 . 8/13/2007
Awesome job. I love it. Catch ya on the flip side.
Poaetpainter chapter 1 . 8/13/2007
loved this.

Thanks for the read
TraSan chapter 1 . 8/13/2007
I read this last night, but fanfic barely let me read it more or less review. )c:

Awesome tag. I've always felt there was a significant time-lapse there for some brotherly moments to occur. Your take on this was perfect.

Great job.
Nana56 chapter 1 . 8/13/2007
Yippee! The site is finally letting me post a review!

Well, I already told you what I think, but I want to put it here, too.

This was a wonderful addition to that episode and it just about did me in. The tenderness that Sam showed his brother and Dean accepted it! (for the most part) It was awesome.

Dean had everything he'd wanted except his dad was still dead and his brother wanted nothing to do with him.

Awesome job, Pure!
EagleGirl6 chapter 1 . 8/13/2007
If ever an episode needed a missing scene written, it's this one! This was great - and thank you so much for the shower scene :-) I loved when you said Dean had everything, except HIS Sammy. Well put.

Thanks for the story, looking forward to your next one,

Kelly
Xdaisy chainX chapter 1 . 8/12/2007
*throws cookies to yous soul*

another wicked fic, i could just see this sliding effortlessly into the epiode y'know

wicked

XsarahX
KatieLB chapter 1 . 8/12/2007
oh thank you thank you thank you... i wanted that show to go on for another 15 minutes easily... great job and thanks for easing my mind some LOL
45 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »