Reviews for The Roaring Snake
terrier chapter 6 . 3/8
Elphias Doge - Such sneaky. Much clever. Wow.
taxzombie chapter 11 . 10/5/2013
Much as I have enjoyed this story I finally realized that this is but a part of a series of stories.

There is too much detail and the clock is moving too slowly for this to be over in one story which is 'only' 139k.

So I popped ahead and checked. There it was, Author's Notes. The sequel is in progress. Problem is the sequel hasn't been touched in two years.

There is nothing that I hate more in fanfiction then to be left hanging, ESPECIALLY when it is a story that deeply interests me.

I have no right to expect or demand that a story be completed by a writer. You do this for your own pleasure and if that pleasure wains then what will be will be. Nor can I blame a writer for my own stupidity. All I had to do was look at the list of your stories and would have realized that Ten was a sequel.

My fault for getting engrossed into this story and basically wasting my time on a 'road' that will suddenly end with a drop into a bottomless gorge.

That said I am going bail out of the car now before I get any further down that road. I've tagged Ten with a Follow and should, someday, you go back to it and finish it AND it is the end of this every interesting journey you started with this story I will return and jump back into that car, put down the top and go for a marvelous ride.

Till then, I wish you well. The ride was grand and the road ahead is enticing, but that drop off currently at the end is pure hell.
taxzombie chapter 10 . 10/5/2013
Dumbledore's manipulations are many in this chapter. Especially in the office scene.

First the BS he spouted after he admitted that he was Harry's magical guardian (which was it's own manipulation to deter any bad karma that might have brought about) about why he dumped Harry at the Dursleys and never checked on him, and why he still had to go back.

Then giving Harry his father's cloak. First article owned by his parents he has ever received. Big brownie points for that, until Harry gives it the fish eye it deserves. Seeing as Dumbledore said for Harry to keep it on him at all times, that wouldn't be because of a tracking spell on the cloak hmmm?

"Do you mean the Malfoys?"

"Lucius Malfoy was never convicted as a Death Eater, so I should not answer your question perhaps. However, between ourselves, they are one of the several families you should be wary of. But they are not the only ones, nor the most dangerous."

Not to mention the 'beware, even in the castle, especially of the Malfoy's' line he threw out. The only reason I can see Dumbledore not liking the Malfoy's is because they don't work for him.

That he gave Harry the photo album instead of Hagrid comes across to me as him trying to score more brownie points with Harry, same with the little bit of info he gave out about his parents. Though I can't help but wonder if he didn't screw up a little bit when he mentioned that Harry's father was rich. Wealth might allow Harry more freedom, provided that is, he can access it somehow.

To me the biggest and nastiest manipulation was the bit about Quidditich, allowing Harry to try out, AND providing him with a broom. If Harry accepts such blatant favoritism it could/would lead to him being even more isolated from other students who would rightly not appreciate it. Thus giving Dumbledore a better chance to move in his 'creatures' as Harry's friends.

Frankly that office scene made me feel ill. I do hope that you have Harry seeing through the disgusting actions of the MOB.
taxzombie chapter 8 . 10/5/2013
Quite the interesting tale you have here.

Very detailed, or perhaps deep might be a better way to put it.

It seems to me that you've given Harry an 'old soul' or at least an 'older soul' considering the amount of analyzing and planning he appears to be doing considering he is only biologically eleven years old. But seeing as you are not writing him as a beaten down child thanks to the 'kind' ministrations of the Dursleys he would have to be one that was able to evaluate things and plan.

I truly appreciate that you have more then two sides to this story and that even the 'bad' side is capable of doing something beneficial to Harry. Voldemort especially is interesting, what with him telling Quirrell to train Harry.

I thank you for posting it.
janefanatic chapter 3 . 9/16/2013
Finally! Someone gives Harry instructions for getting on the platform!
Eldersprig chapter 30 . 7/24/2013
your 11 years old are scary smart. and your "evil" headmaster is a sociopath. What is everyone after? The Dark are trying to preserve their way of life (as they see it) and Riddle is for power, so what is Bumblebee after? Power again? Grrrrr. Seriously well written "evil" Dumbledore. Thanks.
Eldersprig chapter 26 . 7/24/2013
"the making of the Philosopher's Stone is an utterly evil and brutal process." huh? really? If alchemy is a spiritual process and the philosopher's stone is the high point of it, how can it be evil?
d1x1lady chapter 30 . 7/16/2013
Great story! I love your writing.
Stormshadow13 chapter 29 . 4/22/2013
Awsome story. Love all of the plot and the way that the characters are written. Your information and thought on the wizarding world is really cool.
allanreimer chapter 7 . 3/5/2013
My apologies for not commenting on this when it came out. I normally read Hp/Hg and HP/(anyone-other-than-ginny) but somehow missed this one. That intro completed; you named a character "Soccer-Ball?" Love it!
Silverfawkes chapter 29 . 2/4/2013
Fabulous.
Scabbers1957 chapter 4 . 1/28/2013
The only thing I have to say about this so far:::::If Minerva or anyone had really wanted to find out what Harrys life was really like::::they could have done a little bit of passive Legitimes (not sure if that is the correct spelling) on him. Other than that this story is really good.
Judaphine chapter 29 . 1/7/2013
Although I enjoyed the story, you propensity to use large words in the wrong context detracted from it quite a bit. Many of the words you chose didn't fit the plot, the phrase they were used in and occasionally seemed contrived. I'm a native speaker of the English language (proper English-English in fact) with all of my highest achievements being in English, Literature and Languages to the point that I studied Linguistics at University and I spent much of my time reading this story either having to re-read sentences or skip sections that didn't make any sense. Here's a bit of advice for you, you don't need to use a word (or make up one) just because it's big or sounds important. It may be of no use to you or just make you sound like Don King.
AlbinoBee chapter 9 . 12/29/2012
Love the intro for Millicent. She's in and a part of Harry's crew, but it doesn't feel forced in anyway. Very natural. Great job.
ForSer chapter 1 . 12/24/2012
Great story. I will be glad to read the sequel.