Reviews for Zulu Company: The Last Stand
doesthiscountasausername chapter 1 . 8/21/2015
Seems okay
spark n' Jetz chapter 21 . 4/5/2014
A promise that he must keep. Will he?
spark n' Jetz chapter 11 . 4/1/2014
Anything but friendly.
Guest chapter 42 . 6/2/2013
Slow motion
Guest chapter 40 . 6/2/2013
Star Trek reference nice.
cat32 chapter 24 . 2/19/2013
What's with the bold words?
Guest chapter 57 . 12/1/2012
Why you &$ %#*!? %#* $
Guest chapter 55 . 12/1/2012
ROT IN TARTARAUS (It's a pit in Greek Mythology with endless darkness and unspeakably horrible torture. I hope you die there)
Guest chapter 55 . 12/1/2012
VIC IS DEAD?! IM GOING TO CUT OFF YOUR LIMBS KICK YOUR HIDE RIP OUT YOUR LUNGS AND KICK YOUR DANG HEAD INTO A BLACK HOLE! MAYBE YOU WILL TRAVEL IN TIME AND COME ACROSS THE FLOOD AND THEY WILL TEAR YOUR REMAINS APART! &$ !%#
Guest chapter 29 . 11/30/2012
Needs Master Chief and maybe the Arbiter. It would make the dtory freaking epic! :D
Jackarall chapter 24 . 10/25/2012
This is a great story. One of the best Halo fics out there. I have two complaints however (though cause the story is already finished there is not really a way to act on them). First, the constant bold writing in the middle of sentences makes it really hard to read. Second, these guys are supposed to be super Spartans, like, two of them have freaking Energy Swords on their arms! Seriously, they should be kicking butt a whole lot more easily. I've beaten each of the games on legendary solo and really, the Master Chief (aka not a super spartan) doesn't put in a huge amount of effort in to killing things. These guys are basically being little cowardly incompetents compared to what they should be (no offense, but SERIOUSLY! It just irks me)
spartan021 chapter 25 . 8/19/2012
hey don't worry, while long chapters are nice, its good to have a little break from the action. Great book so far, i know it is proboly to late for reviews but i love it! the ethics in the end also help to bring out character in the ... characters. lol. if you ever make any more books, remember, action is awesome, but a book that only has action gets predicable. predictablity turns away readers. thank you so much for being a writer! i know ill never be! i consider you one of the best, amongst Eric Nylund, and William Dietz!
Cailus Griffin chapter 65 . 6/22/2012
A few days ago, after an evening of Reach multiplayer, I felt a bit of a campaign craving. The Reach Campaign is rather poor, so I slapped in Halo 3, only to switch off midway through Crow's Nest. Then (and feeling slightly irritated; since when did Halo get boring?), I tried Anniversary. After boarding the Pelican at the end of Halo, the second damn level, I switched off. The craving was still there, but the games weren't working. So, I tried the books.

I got a quarter of the way through Fall of Reach before giving up on that, too. So, now VERY irritated, I almost punched myself for not remembering Zulu Company, and started to read. After several days, I've finished...and I feel I owe you a full, gargantuan review. Because Zulu Company is as much Halo as anything else, and represents a spectacular achievement. In ten years of Halo goodness, I'd go as far as saying only Red Vs Blue and the Halo live-action fan films surpass Zulu. Even ignoring sheer volume (seriously, 397,000 words is beyond insane), you did something unique and notable, embracing the Spartan mythos and taking it to a new level.

Samuel, Stephanie, Blaine, Jason, Landon, Magnus, Ezekiel and Victoria are all superb characters. They're a far cry from anything done previously with the Spartans. Unlike the S-IIs and S-IIIs, who maintained a strict military professionalism, you abandoned that professionalism in favour of creating more human heroes. Out of all of them, Zeke and Victoria stand out (for me, at least) as the most exceptional. Their extensive augmentations and fighting styles are brilliant; easy to imagine, and conversely, unimaginably lethal. The blades, hyper-speed, the lot of it, are brilliant creations. Victoria's irrepressible humanity, and regard for Zeke, create a wonderful relationship between the two, one that is a pleasure to observe.

Another bright light of Zulu is the action. In my previous reviews, when you were still writing Zulu, I commented once on the "Halo-esque" action, and I think that holds true. One big selling point is sheer diversity; in each fight, there's always something new. You have an easy grasp of language, and maintain a sense of exhilaration and danger throughout with that tool. It's seriously impressive.

But really, the best part (for me, at any rate) is the sheer amount of "oh crap!" moments. Moments when you write something which is simply unbelievable, which holds the reader in awe. Stephanie tossing Hunters would be an example. You clearly have an exceptional aptitude for "oh crap!" moments, and it makes Zulu what it is: Halo to the nth degree. Spartans who are five times more lethal, action which is ten times more awe-inspiring. It's the kind of thing you can only properly do with the written word, or a big budget film.

Now with all that in mind, this is a review...and I have to be honest in my criticism. Zulu, while an exceptional work, is still in my opinion deeply flawed. Thankfully, the majority of these flaws aren't particularly important, but...well, I'd be remiss if I didn't point them out.

First (and I know I said this a lot while you were writing Zulu) there's the authority figures. The Generals, the Admirals, etc. In short, they don't seem particularly realistic, or professional. While a lack of professionalism is good for the Spartans, it just doesn't work for these guys. Agnes, for instance, isn't particularly good. When he's showing off the Atonement, he comes across as exceptionally childish, bragging almost. His emotions are on full display, without a hint of reservation. I suppose the easy way to explain this would be to compare Agnes to Admiral Stanforth, or Captain Keyes. Those two may have emotions, may care deeply for their people, but in the end they keep their cards close to their chest, and when the time comes to make a tough decision, they do so without hesitation-or without much of one.

For all that, you did improve towards the end. The General of ground forces during the Battle of Paris was a significant improvement.

Second, there's ONI. To be honest, the way you portray the spooks seems a little...well...much. It's not ONI's actions that I'm talking about, but more the general hatred, idiocy and unpleasantness those characters exude at every opportunity. They may be heartless bastards, but it's perfectly possible for them to also be perfectly nice people who are, nevertheless, capable of horrific choices. Halsey, for instance, is guilty of abducting, torturing and murdering dozens of children, but is still polite and genteel.

Third...well, to be honest, this was one of my biggest sources of irritation throughout Zulu. For the most part, you write wonderfully, but if you don't mind my being blunt...you suck at inspiration speeches. Really. I'm sorry, as I get the impression you like writing them, but they seem exceptionally clunky. To my mind, I think you get caught up in the grandidose inspiration, and it may be best to concentrate more on purpose; the speaker telling everyone what they need to do, and why they need to do it. Still, it's your writing; if you like the speeches, then it's your prerogative.

Well, that's it. In summary: Zulu Company is brilliant. I may leave a second review of Hell On Earth later on, but for now, I need a break. 397,000 words...