Reviews for Making a Mentor
Jani chapter 7 . 8/8
This is a really fun story and it's very exciting! I hope to be able to finish reading it someday :) but I'm glad I decided to read this much. (I don't usually read incomplete stories, but this was one of those that was well worth it.)
Lady Laran chapter 7 . 3/25
I think it might be time for Harry to utilize his blood connections to the Potters as well as the Blacks (Dorea is either his grandmum or great grandmum). That might be enough to protect him and Albus.

Love the Delusional Terrorist badge!
The Dark One Rising chapter 7 . 11/22/2015
That's jurt great. We know Harry doesn't have good foresight. Still, shouldn't he have learned, from last time. Did he not think it us unusual that the Ministrey was empty, even if it was nigh time? Actually, considering that they were in the Department of Mysteries, it was probably extremely odd that not a soul was present.
The Dark One Rising chapter 6 . 11/22/2015
1. Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfiguration.

Food is one of the five Principal Exceptions to it.

From book 7, taken from the Harry Potter wiki:
Hermione: "Your mother can’t produce food out of thin air, no one can. Food is the first of the five Principal Exceptions to Gamp’s Law of Elemental Transfigura—"
Ron: "Oh, speak English, can’t you?"
Hermione: "It’s impossible to make good food out of nothing! You can Summon it if you know where it is, you can transform it, you can increase the quantity if you’ve already got some..."
— Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley on the exceptions to Gamp's Law[src]

Bascually, you can't make food. That was a problem in seventh year. Neville and the DA used the Room of Requirement as a hideout. Their problem was the lack of food. To that end, the Room created a passage to the Hogs Head. Aberforth Dumbledore supplied them with food.

Think about it. If you could create food, no one would ever go hungry. You could multiply food, but there are likely limits to how much you can make one slice of bread go. The Wealseys would have to worry about one less thing, the cost of food. That would help them out with expenses. Yet, they are still poor. Food is one of the most expensive things to living, aside from property related taxes and things.

2. The Room of Requirement

Have you really forgotten? The Room isn't all powerful. It can just will things up, but even it has limits.

In Book 7, Harry needed to look for the Diamdem. However, the Room of Hidden Things couldn't be accessed while the Rom was in use for other things. The refugees hiding in the Room had to leave. Everyone had to leave, wait and ask the Room to turn into the Room of Hidden Things.

This may only be a limitation concerning Room of Hidden Things. It can change its layout at the will of the user. It could probably add couches, if one asked. However, to change the fundemental layout, as you did in changing it from the Gryffindor common room lookalike to the more house-esque room, should the same restrictions apply, theywould have needed to leave the Room first.

3. Technology

You have proven to be aware of the differences before. Harry's clothes were much too modern and different from the 1850s style. Albus needed to provide him with money to purchase new ones. If not, Harry would have stuck out.

Harry also commented on whether or not cameras existed. As to that, they weren't invented until the late 1800s. They were around in time for canon Albus to have known about them in his childhood.

Toasters are them same. They were not yet invented. As is, what was the toaster powered by? If it used electricity, it probably would not have work eres. The Room is entirely magical, created in a school of magic. Especially here, electric technology would have failed.

4. Potions Master

Currently, someone else is Potions Master. That makes sense. Slughorn would not have been teaching during Dumblesore's time. However, he was teaching during Riddle's time. He was, after all, the one who told the budding Dark Lord more on horcruxes.

Unless you are implying that Milly and Arthur are older than Riddle, this doesn't work. Slughorn taught Riddle. He also taught Lily, Snape and the Marauders. He likely taught Molly and Arthur, unless he took a hiatus and came back to teach Lily and Co.

Molly and Arthut are several years older than the Marauders and their yearmates. Bill was born in 1970, making him only ten years younger than the Marauders and the others in that year. Riddle was born in 1926, and he attended from 1938-1945. He was born on the last night of the year. It's like how Hermione was born in 1979, but being a Senotember child, missed the cutoff date.

How much are you disregarding canon. Do Horcruxes simply not exist? Was Slughorn never around? Did he start later? If so, was Harry/Aberforth the one to tell Riddle of horcruxes? If so, why would he do that? It's not as if Hary had knowledge of the fact that Riddle had been told. He would see no reason to actually tell him (don't kneoingly change the past), and probably many reasons to avoid it.
The Dark One Rising chapter 5 . 11/22/2015
Youvknow, I think I prefer reckless and vengeful jailbird Percival Dumbledore to this one. At least canon one ended up there attacking Muggles in retailiation to attacking Ariana. Does this one know what they plan to do to his son? He doesn't seem to care much. I doubt he'd be overly bothered by Albus' death, other than the fact that he would be hairless.
The Dark One Rising chapter 4 . 11/22/2015
I can't tell if your conversions were accurate. In the fiture, Wands cost several galleons by Harry's time. He paid seven for his own wand. Now, schooling for a year is almost half that. The entirety of school supplies in Harry's time cost several times the amount on paid for Hogwarts scholarship. Is that really how much inflation has gone by in 150 years?
The Dark One Rising chapter 3 . 11/22/2015
Some questions crossed my mind. Professors Evans was teaching when olny and Arhur Weasley were in school. He died in Molly's fourth year. Albus' last name is apparently not Dumbledore. Both he and Harry cjanged and added it to their surname.

For now, it looks like Albus will accept Harry as an older sibling. That may have something to do with the money problem. Albus probably appeared to Harry, luring him out into the Tine Storm. To do so, he used his knowledge from his childhood, when he met Harry. Harry can't change things, it would seem. All of this was already meant to be. It had already happened, where Harry came from. He merely had to go to the past to make it happen.

Does Ariana exist? In canon, her and Grindelwald are large parts of Dumbledore's past and character. His actions during those two months with Grubdelwald and eventual outcome decided the future. Had Ariana not died, had Albus chosen to stay with Gellert, Harry's time would probably look vastly different.
The Dark One Rising chapter 2 . 11/22/2015
I always liked the idea of a young Dumbledore suffering under the likely reign of Headmaster Black. Considering actual canon, Dumbledore's more accurate birthdate would have been 1881, not 1846. He would have been starting Hogwarts almost one hundred years prior to Harry.

Black was Headmaster until 1925. He could have started in or before 1892-1893, being born in 1847. He would have been young, should he really have been Headmaster then. Still, it is possible. Snape was 37 when he became Headmaster and 38 when he died that same school year. Phineas was Headmaster upon his death in 1925.

There is some irony to those dates, however. Had Dubledore really been born in the 1840s, he would have been the contemporary of Black. Of course, that would be fun to read, as well. I hope you have included him, though I doubt it. Surely Elphias Dodge will make an appearance.

This is just as good. Lady Umbitch, we do not salute you. Although, if her great-something-grandmother had been Headmistress, don't you think the Toad would have bragged about it? After all, she faked a claim to the Selwyn name to explain her theft and possession of the Slytherin locket.
The Dark One Rising chapter 1 . 11/21/2015
And, what about actual Aberforth? Or, was he always Harry? What of Aberforth's eyes, the same as Albus'?
W1986 chapter 7 . 11/20/2015
Interesting story. Looking forward to the next chapter.
sad sabrin chapter 6 . 8/31/2014
I love to see the rest
Update soon please
Quinn chapter 6 . 5/9/2014
Interesting Idea!
IchigoRenji chapter 6 . 3/23/2014
Great story so far. I'm really enjoying it. Can't wait to see what happens next!
silverscribbles chapter 4 . 3/8/2014
Wow, a nerdy and picked on Dumbledore. lol. I did not see that coming. I wonder if Harry will have a thing for goats, too, when he's older.
Selkor chapter 6 . 3/2/2014
Awesome story, look forward to next chapter.