Reviews for The Door to Yomi
King Jacobi Nohansen Hyrule chapter 3 . 11/26/2012
Queen Izanami is pictured in my head so beautifully
Acronymous chapter 9 . 11/23/2012
I am really enjoying this little world you've built up

I am just going to have to read all your stuff now
Lord Siravant chapter 9 . 12/3/2010
This...this was one of the best stories I've read. I always liked seeing mortal enemies having to work together against a greater evil, and you made this work perfectly! This was a brilliant story.
Ryuus2 chapter 9 . 5/11/2009
"Nice to know the universe depends on me to break stuff for its own good."

Hahahahahahaha! That's priceless! I am so using that! I have no idea where or when but I am definitely going to find a place for that.

Incredible story and amazing layout. I especially liked everything revolving around Link and the girls, with Ganondorf's narcisism as a close second and Din's psychosis as the near third.

p.s. Um, can I use that line? There's no guarentee that I ever will, but something that good just can't be passed up.
Saru Wolfe chapter 9 . 10/15/2008
Yay! At last, I've read the whole series. This makes the Chosen Three story that much better; now I have to go back and reread it.

Obviously, it was awesome. I love how all your stories provide so much background detail. It makes the Zelda universe so much bigger than the games. It's all well-written, too. There are a few typos and errors here and again, but overall, I like your style. And then as if your plot and writing weren't enough, you characterization rocks. And there's humor and sarcasm everywhere! I'm sorry, but I have to quote this: "Ganondorf, stop scaring the children. Ganondorf, don’t touch that. Ganondorf, if you break this, I’m going to throw you into a nightmare world from which there is no waking." I read that line and laughed about five times. Actually, there was a ton of wit that got that reaction.

I've mentioned this before, but thanks to you, I really like Ganondorf now. Where did you get your particular interpretation of his character?

Anyway, this series is awesome. I hope to see more of the Chosen Three!

~Saru Wolfe
I Am Sparty chapter 9 . 8/14/2008
I have to say that I was very impressed with the overall outcome of this story. I'm surprised it didn't get as grand a reception as some stories on this site. Maybe the cyclical explanation was too much for some to handle. Just kidding, though it definitely makes one wonder about all that. It does appear that Ganondorf always retains his memories of previous existences, and perhaps Zelda carries on the wisdom of past Princesses of Destiny, but Link...now, that's something different. The fact that you made him aware of his previous existences was a neat move on your part, and it definitely helped to shape this story into the compelling tale that it was.

Anyway, I noticed the allusion to the Japanese name for Link, "Rinku". They just don't have much luck with their pronunciation of "L", do they?

“Midna…could I talk a last look outside…just for a few minutes?” - You probably meant to write "take" not "talk".

Ah, I can't believe it's over, but it ended on a pretty good note. It's still weird to see Ganondorf in a love/hate relationship with Link and Zelda, but it worked out alright without having to resort to changing the Evil King's personality. He stayed the same cynical Gerudo that he always seemed to be.

Well, now that I've finished this little bit of your work, I should probably check out some more of your stories.

I Am Sparty chapter 8 . 8/14/2008
Another insightful chapter. Let me comment on this one too.

“You cannot kill me Our Mother would not stand for it.” - It looks like you meant to separate these clauses, but you forgot the period.

“It helps to have a bit of humor,” Ganondorf cut in dryly. - It's kind of funny that you had Ganondorf say this. It gave me a pretty good laugh. You've given him all kinds of witty one-liners throughout this story. This has certainly been a memorable Ganondorf.

You painted a nice picture here when you portrayed the three as melded with the minds of their respective Goddesses. It added a neat element to the story, I thought. It truly shows how interwoven their destinies really are (not to mention that you had Midna attest to that very fact within this chapter).

Alright! On to the last chapter!

I Am Sparty chapter 7 . 8/14/2008
Very nicely done. I like the explanation you gave for Ganondorf's choice to change into a wild boar. Usually one would think he changes thus because pigs are associated with greed, and his lust for power fuels his changing into Ganon, which is essentially a pig-like creature. Of course, having Ganondorf as one of the good guys here, you needed to make him a bit more noble than we're used to seeing him, so I can see why you would choose such an explanation for him.

Well...I'm nearing the end here. I'm interested to see how this all pans out. I was kind of disappointed to see Onima defeated so easily in this confrontation...but I guess I shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch. I must read on.

I Am Sparty chapter 6 . 8/14/2008
Ganondorf's sarcastic quips make me laugh. He doesn't express it, but I can sense his underlying feelings of gratitude towards Zelda and Link for helping him.

The rules that you've set up for Yomi are kind of neat, such as not being able to eat the food lest one remain there because of it. Sounds a lot like Hades from Greek Mythology to me, how Persephone was forced to remain in the Underworld for a time because of the pomegranate that she ate there. You keep bring this dynamic into play, tempting the characters with food.

Also, I see that you're labeling this three-chapter arc after the pieces of the Triforce. I suppose Power is next in line, giving Ganondorf his moment to shine and save the other two's hides.

“If I’m not going to led Onima destroy my soul, I’m certainly not going to let vermin like you have it.” - Just a small typo. I think "led" was supposed to be "let".

Other than that small error, your writing was flawless. I guess having a few years experience on you really helps out in that department. I can't say I know every little thing there is to know about English grammar and story-writing, but I know enough to realize when something is very well-done. The only reason I know anything about grammar structure at all is because I've had to study and learn two other languages besides English and become fluent in them. You can't start learning a second language's grammar structure until you've had a basic English grammar lesson.

Well, there I go off on my tangents again. To make up for that, I'll just go on and read the next chapter now.

I Am Sparty chapter 5 . 8/13/2008
That Onima is a tricky fellow. It was cool to see what illusions you came up with for the three Triforce bearers. What's more interesting is that Link is the one that broke free first, not Zelda, though you would expect someone with the Triforce of Wisdom to think her way through it before a headstrong adventurer like Link could.

I had a good laugh at Ganondorf when he shoved Link aside to take on the statues. Link was all ready for battle too, but G-dorf stole the spotlight from him. I guess that why you made Link the one to figure out the illusions, since Zelda's the one that took out the blades and Ganondorf made a fiery entrance.

Let's see what else you've got going in this story.

I Am Sparty chapter 4 . 8/13/2008
Aw, how sweet. Myself, I have mixed feelings as to Link and Midna's relationship, but I do believe them to be closer than any of the other women in the game. The kiss seems like something she would do, seeing as she's such a bold individual.

I'm glad that you retain some of Ganondorf's malice, having him team up with Link and Zelda. It's an unlikely trio, but you seem to be making it work.

Too bad Midna can't come along, but it seems you intended it to just be the three Triforce bearers from the get-go.

Still, I have to say that you've done an amazing job with this.

I Am Sparty chapter 3 . 8/13/2008
I've seen more and more recently stories that deal with the Goddesses and other deities appearing before the characters of the Zelda series, each with their own interpretation of what they would look like. So far, your description of them has been my favorite. I've never done this in any of my own stories; however, I did have the voice of Din come to Rauru at one point in one of my latest fics. I guess it's just something I steer clear of, that is, describing a Goddess.

It seems that the Goddesses placed the Triforce pieces back within the original vessels. But wouldn't that start the cycle all over again, after Link worked so hard in your previous story to stop it? I guess it was just too good a thing to be true, but then...where's the fun in not stirring things up a bit?

Do I sense a union between all three Triforce bearers? Link still regards Ganondorf with disdain, but they aren't out for each others' blood at this point. What an intriguing story dynamic you have come up with here.

I really like this story. Its impressive storytelling elements and superb writing makes it a great read. I'm surprised the number of reviews on it don't attest to its greatness. Some people don't know a good story if it bit them in the face.

I Am Sparty chapter 2 . 8/13/2008
Wow, I'm definitely entranced by this story. Your writing is so fluid that it's no trouble to follow at all, and the action and drama within is indeed stunning.

I really enjoy your idea that the three Goddesses are lesser deities that are derived from a higher power. It makes sense that the Shinigami would regard them as sisters, and they in turn would regard him as a brother.

Ganondorf's pointing out that Onima's plan was cliche was a good way to show the old Gerudo's character. I enjoyed the fight that ensued between him and Zelda, and I took note of the fact that you couldn't have her kill off her opponent, for that would destroy Link's body. Can't have that now, can we?

There's only one thing I'll gripe about. The exchange between Ganondorf and Shad was amusing, but since the story at that point was from G-dorf's perspective, I wouldn't think that Shad's name should be revealed to the reader, especially since our avid scholar never felt the need to re-introduce himself to someone he considered to be Link. You could instead clue the reader in to who he is by describing him, or by having someone next to him refer to him by name, having Ganondorf overhear it.

Ah, well, on to the next chapter.

I Am Sparty chapter 1 . 8/13/2008
Great opening to what appears to be a great story. I see it picks up right where the last one left off, though I already see that it deals with the underworld a bit more than the last one did. Death and life are common themes in this world, so it's always neat to see what people's thoughts are about it, even if these thoughts are in the form of a fanfic. I know it's just a fantasy story, but elements of what a person believes sometimes pervades one's writing, giving form to a tale. I don't know if that's the case with this, but I'm impressed thus far.

So that Shinigami replaced Link's spirit with someone else's and sent the hero to Yomi, eh? You've got a great premise here, and I'm really interested to see where this is going. Too bad it's not really Link that Zelda kissed. Honestly, I've always been a fan of ZeldaXLink. All fanfiction I've ever written (most of which is old and no longer is on this site due to...er...its outdatedness) has included a bit of ZeldaXLink, simply because I believe them those two to have a very close bond to one another in each game. Unfortunately that bond isn't so prevalent in TP, but I'm sure that the two of them each possessing a piece of the Triforce creates some kind of connection between them. Their relationship was more evident in OoT, and it's sad that it ended so abruptly with Zelda sending Link back seven years. How the poor boy was able to cope with that, I've no idea.

I digress. Once again, I have to say great job. Now for me to read more.

Lupanari chapter 9 . 4/26/2008
Absolutely loved it! Excellent story. Zelda and Link's relationship was sweet, and Ganondorf was hilarious. It's a love/hate relationship with all of them. I love that. They'll *never* admit it, but in some small way, this adventure has forced them to start liking each other. Just a little.