Reviews for The Way It Was
The Mominator chapter 21 . 3/20/2009
Perfect place to end it. You keep the anger of Frank pretty low key liked that. Liked the part where Bobby took off, good for him. He would definately do that. As always looking forward to more. Later,
RoadrunnerGER chapter 21 . 3/19/2009
Complete? What do you mean, complete?

That's what I thought when I got the alert...

...until I saw the author's note at the end of the story.

I'm glad that you'll continue with Bobby's tale. It's such a great story. Your insight into his early family life is detailed and at times really heartbreaking, like the last sentence of this final chapter. Poor Bobby.

You did a great job. Thank you for posting and I'm looking forward to reading the sequel.

Roadrunner
rindy713 chapter 21 . 3/17/2009
excellent chapter. i can barely imagine how hard it must be for a 7-year-old to realize that his mommy will never be well again and that he needs to take care of her. meanwhile, he is clearly in serious danger. he had to feel like his childhood was like walking a tightrope.
TriStateCopFan chapter 21 . 3/16/2009
Aw, poor Bobby... so sad to see: he knew from such an early age that she needed taking care of, without giving his own care a second thought. All these episodes in his young life shaped the man he became...and in his 40's he was still taking care of her up until the end.

Can't wait for the next installment.

Good job!
ComptonLover chapter 21 . 3/16/2009
The thought that someone should be taking care of him never entered his mind. OMG, how heartbreaking! He carries this idea throughout his life, doesn't he.
rindy713 chapter 20 . 2/25/2009
strong chapter. it was so nice to read about bobby having a good day, playing baseball and having ice cream with his family all there. of course, that just helps him know what he's missing the rest of the time. poor little guy. i bet when he finds out what's wrong with his mom, even at such a young age, he's going to start studying up on it. the early signs of his brilliance will start to show.
TriStateCopFan chapter 20 . 2/20/2009
Great chapter! It was good to see Bobby have a few happy moments at the ball game (and loved the description of Frank...true to form, checking out the other mothers! LOL You SO have him "down." LOL)

Lewis was cute when Frances went "crazy." Too bad he had to repeat what Thomas had said and hurt Bobby's feelings... but they are just 7 ..poor Lewis didn't know any better.

Can't' wait for more!
RoadrunnerGER chapter 20 . 2/20/2009
It's good to see that Bobby's life also has its good sides. He really enjoys his baseball, the time with his grandparents and his friendship with Lewis.

Good example for how the schizophrenia changed Frances' behavior, and good choice to let Lewis be there, too. Here it looks like he wouldn't come back to Bobby's home anymore and that Frances' sickness might endanger his and Bobby's friendship.

Good to know that they're still friends. :D

Grandma and grandpa appear pretty helpless. Well, we know that no one helped Bobby's family. Curious to see what they'll do... and what they'll NOT do next.
The Mominator chapter 20 . 2/20/2009
Ah life is good reading a great story and watching the show at the same time. As always my heart goes out to that little boy, even his brother Frank. Ready for more.
gorenrocks chapter 20 . 2/20/2009
Good God in heaven, that broke my heart in to a million pieces. And of course Lewis doesn't understand, not at seven, he'd be just terrified! I understand this situation very well and it truly is a nightmare, pure desperation. You've done a great job capturing the emotions and the mood.

I really enjoy this story. Well done! I hope you keep writing it for a very long time.
The Mominator chapter 19 . 1/29/2009
It's me. Finally, sorry. Anyway, loved the part with the ball cap and the curls could easily picture that. But once again it is a sad, sad story for all the parties. Poor Bobby he would be the one home when Frances loses it. Poor kid. My heart does go out for him and for Frankie. My feeling is that he will do what ever he needs to, to be in Dad's good eye. Just my interpertation on things, all in all it was once again I finely written chapter from begining to end.
rindy713 chapter 19 . 1/22/2009
that was so mean when his dad broke the radio. bobby has to put up with so much. thank goodness he didn't get accused of stealing the glove. i'm glad he had a wonderful birthday (though he no doubt missed his dad). his last good one, i guess.
blucougar57 chapter 19 . 1/21/2009
Excellent chapter! I feel for poor Bobby, having to deal with his mother's burgeoning illness - which he's not going to understand or come to terms with for a long time yet - and still idolizing a father who doesn't give a damn about him. I read this, and found myself thinking back to the pivotal interrogation scene in the very first Nicole Wallace episode, and Bobby's reluctant admissions to her.

You've really nailed this, so brilliantly!
The Mominator chapter 18 . 1/18/2009
His strength was shown even at a tender age; he had to be strong to survive in that house. Fascinating story from the beginning. Ever chapter finely written.
rindy713 chapter 18 . 1/15/2009
poor little bobby. in that whole doggone house, nobody really cares about him. they are all looking out for their own interests. it's a wonder he survived.