Reviews for Once More with Feeling
PrusKangaroo chapter 17 . 4/10/2020
So wait why did the author discontinue it? this had alot more potential, loss of interest? or recycling? from what I read from "tvtropes" he was 3/4 of the way of writing the next chapter in 2014. "don't be sad be happy because it happened" nonetheless this is a great read, that will make you wish for more, as many have, myself included.
PrusKangaroo chapter 17 . 4/10/2020
It's shame we don't get a true ending to this, great work, too bad it will most likely never be continued, was real good, maybe could have been the best.
Guest chapter 17 . 4/1/2020
Awesome work on the story! I hope that you will come back to it, because it's one of the few pieces that doesn't just change the characters personalities but shows development.
Guest chapter 4 . 7/30/2019
If there is one thing that this story does better than any other, it's Shinji's characterization. The way he stays true to how the canon Shinji was portrayed, but is making a conscious effort to change himself is clear and compelling. Unlike many other stories, Shinji doesn't suddenly become a different person. He struggles to stand up to his father, he is afraid for the future, he was fatalistic about what he could even accomplish. Yet, he moves past his own fears and insecurities for the sake of his loved ones. Furthermore, the author also takes into account the trauma and suffering this child went through the first time around. He's suffering from massive survivors guilt, which is part of why he is trying so hard despite his weaknesses. This is what separates this story from many others where they essentially replace Shinji with a completely different person.
Guest chapter 17 . 7/27/2019
Too bad this fic is dead. I actually found this chapter to be one of the most tense ones in a do-over fic. Usually, Do-over stories tend to have the problem of making the protagonist too capable due to their future knowledge. So, most of them use unexpected consequences to create unknown situations to build tension. But what was interesting here was that the unknown situation lead to a state where the protagonist had no choice but to rely on others, and trust in them to pull through despite all his desire to damn the consequences to try to save them. It neatly emphasized Rei's growth and the level of trust between the two, while actually keeping Shinji from being the omniscient savior once again.

This author really understands the fact that do-over fictions can't simply have the protagonist's future knowledge easily solve everything. In the same way Kaji tells Shinji that Shinji's job is not to go after the conspiracy, but to save humanity against angels. By giving the protagonist limits (due to their abilities, position, divergence from their memories), you can create tension, and build interest.

Too bad this fic is discontinued. It would've been interesting to see what Kaji would be able to accomplish (again, an interesting plot point since we as readers have no idea if it will work, or how it will work), and whether Shinji will help his friends come to terms with their messed up lives (interesting due to emotional investment in characters)
potstickers4lyfe chapter 17 . 7/16/2019
Is this still ongoing? _ I rly can’t wait to see Shinjis reaction when reunited with two and Asuka. I thought Shinji would also be diving into the magma in in this chapter, since he basically expects 100% for the angel to hatch, I find it surprising that he somehow doesn’t force his hand in attempting to save Asuka instead of just watching as Rei heads in.
Guest chapter 17 . 7/13/2019
Y no next chapter?
ozyman chapter 17 . 7/10/2019
damn, and that’s the ending. feels bad, I loved this story.
ozyman chapter 15 . 7/9/2019
this is the end of the beginning, not the beginning of the end
2 more chapters
not updated in literal years
hmmmm
jack hopper chapter 17 . 7/1/2019
This is such a great story, but seeing it dormant for 6 years is heartbreaking. If you're still active do think this has a chance to go on one day?
FuryJoe chapter 17 . 6/27/2019
great story
Guest chapter 1 . 5/12/2019
In the future if you continue to write this fanfic It would be interesting to see Shinji’s Gendo persona or Gendo-Shinji. Made through one of his Angel fights he is in that state for one or two chapters. But, seeing a cold manipulative Shinji is badass and sends chills down my spine.
dratkins chapter 7 . 2/24/2019
I'm really enjoying seeing some of the offscreen scenes played out in detail, particularly since the way they are presented gives quite a lot of insight into how the characters are developing this time around.
dratkins chapter 4 . 2/23/2019
This chapter is where the story really hits its stride. The curbstomp of Sachiel was totally expected. Facing up to Gendo came as a shock-a good shock. It makes total sense with how Shinji is growing here. I'm quite glad that Ritsuko is smart enough to smell a rat, even if she does start going down the wrong path.
alecrnorris chapter 2 . 2/21/2019