Reviews for Innocent Sleep
JolieBlack chapter 6 . 11/27/2013
Ah, no, I'm not convinced. I'm not sure how seriously this is supposed to be taken. But while the mental image of the Lord Sheriff of Shropshire on cold turkey is priceless, I find myself unable to suspend disbelief to such a degree. And much as I (like all other female Cadfael fans, I suppose) enjoy imagining Hugh Beringar being tortured a little now and then, it has to fit in with a convincing scenario or it will seem a little gratuitous. I think the trouble I have with this story starts with Cadfael calling Hugh "boy". Does he ever do so in canon? If not (as I think), I can't help it but it grates. A lot.
Your writing is a good and vivid as ever, though, and there are many lovely details in this. And seeing that I've been pouring praise on you and your Cadfael fics all evening today I hope I may be forgiven for a bit of criticism for this one... Hope to read more Cadfael stuff from you soon!
Ranuel chapter 6 . 10/20/2008
This feels like a condensed version of a full length plot but other than that it is excellent. I love the way the relationship between Cadfael and Hugh is portrayed. You've really captured the warmth of that nearly father/son bond. This had a good use of the history of the time and the canon back story as well.
Miss Lestrade chapter 6 . 1/14/2008
1, 2, 3...AW!
Matroushka chapter 6 . 9/25/2007
Very nice, gentle chapter. Hugh appears to be getting over his addiction, and their friendship is once more strong. Really enjoying this.
Greenleaf's Daughter chapter 6 . 9/25/2007
Hm, sorry I didn't realise I wasn't logged in when I posted my revĂ­ew. It's below...
Guest chapter 6 . 9/25/2007
Wonderful ending of a really lovely story! It's a pity that it's already finished. ( But it was so in character I could imagine the characters in my head... like seeing a play on stage. If you posted another Cadfael-fic, I would bear-hug you (but sadly via internet this is simply impossible). Anyway... Do you have an idea for a new fic? )
excessivelyperky chapter 5 . 9/11/2007
Oh, this is a very good chapter. It was hard for both of them to make it back to being friends, but I'm so glad they succeeded.

Don't know if you've read this year, but you might enjoy THE DOOMESDAY BOOK, by Connie Willis. It's sort of a timetravel story, but very well done.
Matroushka chapter 5 . 9/11/2007
I liked the way you wrote this. Both of them uncertain that the other still desired their friendship. A very nice chapter.
Greenleaf's Daughter chapter 5 . 9/11/2007
Well written chapter, I just wondered a bit because the disruption between Cadfael and Hugh doesn't come to the forefront so much (in my opinion) that they seemed to have to be reconciled with the help of the abbot... some more guilty feelings in each of them would have been nice. Otherwise I still love your story! )
Greenleaf's Daughter chapter 4 . 9/11/2007
Hm, I'm looking forward to see how Cadfael will cure Hugh of the poppy juice addiction and also to the possible change in their relationship. Like you let Radulfus say: We'll sort the blame out later. In the case of this story, there can only be compliments! (and nothing to sort out) )
Matroushka chapter 4 . 9/8/2007
Oh, I am enjoying this. It's a glimpse into another world, another time, that I know very little about.
excessivelyperky chapter 4 . 9/8/2007
Did they have the flu, or call it that, back then? This is a very good chapter, but I think a lot of diseases they didn't know the reason for were called the 'flux', not flu.

Other than nitpicking, this is really well done (I think I recall Prior Robert having a jones against Cadfael in the books, too).
excessivelyperky chapter 3 . 9/8/2007
It's really nice when things work out this well-at least till the future, till Longshanks starts rattling the border-but that won't be till after Cadfael is long gone (John did most of his mischief in Ireland, I think).

Good chapter.
Greenleaf's Daughter chapter 3 . 8/30/2007
Very good chapter, nothing given away... ) Am keen to see the next, as always.
Exocet chapter 2 . 8/28/2007
Hey, nice story here ! Although seeing Hugh begging for poppyjuice was a little strange, but well. I liked his interaction with Cadfael, and I'll be curious to read the next chapters of your story. Ah, I noticed a few mistakes with the irregular verbs ("hided" instead of "hid", for instance). And there's just one thing I found a little surprising, you said Hugh's wound was deep, so how could he have been strong enough to land a blow on his opponent's jaw ? In any case, his friendly banter with Cadfael was nice.