Reviews for The Poor of God
phoebuscat chapter 17 . 7/16
Snape and Luna? Erm... thanks but no thanks! It was perfect up to that point. Couldn't he have just adopted her instead of this shit?
excellent story
This is the best fanfic I have read, ever. The few things that have bothered me about it are, upon further consideration, easily dismissed. I do not remember Lily as being quite so saintly. She loved Harry enough to die for him, of course, but was quite unforgiving of Severus. However...this is his story and Harry's, and for Harry to think of her with anything but fondness, or for Severus to develop any resentful feelings towards her, as he does in so many fanfics, would feel out of place here.

It seems to me that the one thing people who have been critical do not like is the pairing of Severus and Luna. The usual reason given is that they wanted to see her with Harry, that they are disappointed at not getting a happy father/daughter relationship, or that Luna is simply too young.

I think these people are missing the point. I get a very strong feeling that this story was written, not to reinvent the wheel, but to add a few new spokes, and a nicer ultimate destination for a few of the characters. As such, there is no need to split up Harry and Ginny. Like it or not, they were in love in the original story, and there's no reason to dispute that to further this one. As to the parenting angle, Luna HAD a father, flawed as he was, and she loved him very much. She was not seeking a replacement.

As to Luna's age and innocent, yes, she is young, and yes, she is innocent, but I have always had the impression that she is far more mature, emotionally, than most of her peers and many of the adults she encounters. Furthermore, her innocence is not that of the naive, in spite of some of her more whimsical moments. Her innocence is of a deeper and more lasting kind: she is truly pure of heart, able to see people for what they are and accept them (and usually forgive them), anyway. She is, in some ways, the most clear-eyed realist in the Potterverse, at least on an emotional level. She's able to accept love and kindness without suspecting those who offer it of ulterior motives, and to deal with being teased and even abused without either a strong desire for revenge or any apparent damage to her sense of self. I can imagine this as being very attractive to Severus. She is the antithesis of all he has been made to endure in his life. As to what attracts her, well...that should be clear: she actually sees him. HIM, not just the snarling professor or the spy or the Death Eater, but just...him, for himself. As we have seen, once you get past all of that, there's quite a lot there to like.

I've read quite a few fanfics that pair Snape with other characters, but this is the only one that felt deeply and truly right to me. Most of them seem to be either a battle of wits as foreplay (the last thing I can imagine him wanting), or just a matter of how fast the writer can get to those juicy lemons.
your characterization of luna is absolutely brilliant
Eriza-chan chapter 17 . 4/22
great story!
awwwwwwwwwwwww i love this story so much keep up with the good work!
atymer chapter 17 . 4/20
Love Love Love
a truer statement never was, 'the deepest and strangest magic of them all'.

This left my heart warm.
dapperyklutz chapter 17 . 4/7
I knew it! I knew Severus and Luna were going to end up together. :D
Oohhh I love this fic so much. You write really well! Thank you for sharing this precious story to us. :) 3
The details are a matter for the researchers, not the patient.

Strongly disagree. Ignorance is never bliss.
BlueMoon007 chapter 17 . 3/15
This has been an amazing story, you are a gifted and talented writer. Thank you for sharing your gifts with the rest of us.
I loved how you portrayed Snape, you did a wonderful job of it. I don't ship Snape/Luna though as they really seemed to have a father/daughter relationship for most of the story, so that was just odd, I thought. But aside from that well done.
InsanityIsClarity chapter 17 . 3/9
The age gap and teacher-student thing between Snape and Luna and them as a couple bugs me A LOT not gonna lie, but the rest of this story was fantastic. Very in character, and parts just had me laughing. But other parts, man do you know how to lay on the angst! Thanks so much for writing:)
JJFan chapter 2 . 3/6
I like the characters in this story and its predecessor, but the present tense grates on my nerves like nails on a chalkboard.
EmberPhoenixx chapter 17 . 2/17
Beautiful. A symphony of words melted together to create something that affects me in ways I can barely begin to understand. You truly have a gift. A gift that changes lives, instills hope and forms connections. It has been a long time since I've come across a story like yours, where a bittersweet ending changes the way I'll view our world. Thank you for dedicating your time towards creating such a masterpiece. Your writing has added to my life, and me, along with countless others, will never forget that. This gift of yours has power. It brings hope, changes mindsets. Influences readers to take part in something as profoundly moving as you have created. Something bigger than ourselves. Your story will change lives through eternity, as it has for me, 10 years after you've written it. I will not forget your words. You may never see this review, never know the imprint you've left on my heart, but nonetheless, the effect will remain. Thank you. Thank you for using your gift and bringing beauty into my life through words.
Books85 chapter 17 . 2/14
Lovely, just lovely . I like reading about Luna , but I don't think that I could do her justice . You, on the other hand , can carry it off.
I have just zoomed through this, along with the previous story and have laugjed out loud on several occasions . In the earlier story, when a dazed Harry returns to conciousness and tells Pomphrey that he didn't see the hippogriff, I laughed out loud. Last time I heard that muzxy logic, I was answering a crisis line (back in the day when volunteers did so) speaking with a young person having a bad trip. A situation remarkably like Harry's.

Thank you for writing and sharing this. Can't wait to see your othrr work.
PoisonIvy7 chapter 17 . 1/18
I love everything about the Harry and Snape presented in this fic and anyone who's looking for that bittersweet yet happy ending for these two will find it here.
1,374 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »