Reviews for The King's Gambit
Neqyro chapter 1 . 5/27/2014
Such deep thought
Starlit Skyline chapter 1 . 3/31/2013
Ah, psychology and metaphors - gotta love 'em. Brilliant and deep-seated, a wonderful read!
3VAD127 chapter 1 . 4/5/2010
I have to admit, it's been a good, long while since I've reviewed a story (whoops), so forgive me if I've got nothing constructive to say. ;

Perhaps the thing that I loved most about this story was the summary - yeah, I realize that's kinda strange, but whatever. Bear with me. Anyway, it shocked me that it was actually relevant to the fic. :O All too often, there are random quotes or sayings or simple excerpts from the story that aren't as effective as they probably could be. And at first, I thought yours would be like that too... but then I read the fic, and I said to myself, "...Wait. That makes so much more sense now." I guess what I'm trying to say with all my blabbermouthing is that I loved how it was so simple, yet it made me think twice. :P Really good.

Umm... nice length? Not too short, and still long enough to be interesting. Fantastic character development for an AU - not too OOC. I wish I could offer some constructive criticism too, but I really can't think of anything to point out. Great job! Wish there were more fics out there like yours. :)

I'm a fan,

3VAD
LovelyWeather chapter 1 . 10/20/2009
Exactly what I've been wondering myself! Both Shikamaru and Orochimaru are geniuses, and (because I don't know to play shougi) I always pondered the question of the outcome of a chess game between them. Shikamaru's strategy was indeed very much like something Orochimaru would use, so it confused me till the very end. I love both characters, but I find it hard to believe that Shikamaru actually won. :-/ I am assuming that they are both intelligent (almost) equally, but Orochimaru is far older and more experienced. That's just my opinion. Great job, love their conversation. Adding this to my faves! xD
IVIaedhros chapter 1 . 6/3/2009
Incoherent and lacking good structure to back up it's point...yes...but the metaphor was a good one and the lesson IE lead by example, was very appropriate.
Renea chapter 1 . 5/11/2008
Oh my gosh, that was fantastic! As always, the plot was fascinating, and your characterization excellent n.n
thegreatfool chapter 1 . 2/28/2008
My friend it is because of stories like yours that I even bother to continue to read the fanfiction posted on this site. You captured Orochimaru's character very well and I truly liked your take on a somewhat beaten and battered Shikamaru. To show such insight into the workings of two very complex characters through metaphor and symbolism...very good job. I look forward to reading more of your work.

P.S. Great concluding line.
EyeOfTheBlizzard chapter 1 . 2/1/2008
This is interesting. I like it.

Makes you wonder why Shika is playing the Hebi in chess, though.

Maybe he was captured and was found entertaining?

Maybe he came of his own free will?

The possibilities are endless.
Mrriddler chapter 1 . 12/21/2007
Haha, someone sent me an email mentioning this story and I was like, hey, I know that guy. Anyway, I can't believe I didn't pick this up for so long. Yes, mastermind Orochimaru is the win. I wish more people are willing to put more thoughts into their villains so stories like this are definitely a boon to the fandom in my opinion. That said, chess seems a bit unusual, but I guess that's understandable. Few people know how to play shogi. (I used to play a fair bit of chess and chinese chess, but never quite make the cut for regional competitions) Still, a nice find for me. Good luck on your other stories.

PS: If it helps, the inspiration for Orochimaru and indeed most of my antagonists actually comes from Lord Sidious. (or even Hitler since that is supposedly who Lucas based him on)
Rabid Squirrel chapter 1 . 9/12/2007
I always love the last sentence in your fics. For some reason they always just seem RIGHT. :)
Izzy chapter 1 . 8/30/2007
Hmm, well, interesting is about all I can say. It was very interesting.
ShadowMaster chapter 1 . 8/27/2007
This was a great piece of work! I love your writing style!

Too bad it's only a one-shot.. I really hope to see more of your work in the future! Good luck!
BeautifulStruggle chapter 1 . 8/27/2007
while the background and set up are a little. . . odd, I can't say I didn't enjoy the philosphy behind it all. The symbolism and style is great. The pawn who yearned to be king. Kings fighting along side pawns against kings who fling pawns into battle as playthings. I love the concepts behind it. Some mental meat to chew on overall. thanks for writing.
Anilmathiel Greenleaf chapter 1 . 8/27/2007
wow... that was really creative. I liked it a lot, very interesting. is this going to be a oneshot or a longer story?
Syncidence chapter 1 . 8/26/2007
I'm going to assume that the "pawn who yearned to be king" is representing young Uzumaki Naruto. I liked this story; very intruiging.