Reviews for Crusaders
Gyreflight chapter 11 . 12/12/2011
Oh, very nicely done!

I hadn’t thought to go looking for anything in this fandom, so it was a lovely surprise to find something so well written.

I confess, I was a bit uncertain at first, but was happy to suspend my disbelief at the device to get Cadfael and Hugh to the Holy Land, given how well you write them (and in all honesty, how much I did myself want to see them both together in the land of Cadfael’s former life). You write the characters very true to the novels, and I much enjoyed your Hugh/Cadfael banter, as that relationship is one of the cornerstones of the Cadfael stories, and I think you got it spot on.

The addition of Olivier was a nice touch, and the Holy Land cast feel much like Ellis Peters’ own characters, with their mixed and private motives, honour and anger, duty and family and all the rest of humanity’s passions, reasonable and unreasonable both.

I also like that you kept that slight edge of imperfection, the frayed ending of reality, that leaves the strain remaining between Cadfael and Olivier of things said and unsaid. A painful argument, forgiven, but not forgotten, especially not by Cadfael.

Thanks for the read.
attyfan chapter 11 . 8/5/2010
Great story.
Tavaril chapter 11 . 5/7/2010
I love it! This is a brilliant story very enjoyable to read. It was also very well written. I hope you will write another one someday.
Rosemary For Remembrance chapter 11 . 3/6/2008
Wow, what a great ending! My stomach flip-flopped when Olivier shouted at Cadfael, it was almost too much! And to think, then, confining them together on a ship...

You sadist! Hah! Sometimes characters have to be confined in order to grow, as Olivier obviously did within even the last few paragraphs of your story.

If there's anything we learn from great fiction (especially Ellis Peters), it's that there's always room for change, growth, or surprise, no matter how wrapped up the plot is!

Absolutely wonderful! This is a great start to the (hopefully) growing collection of Cadfael fanfics on the site.

Rosemary

P.S. Thanks for the mention! I'm glad to have been a help, if only a small one.
spartanster007 chapter 11 . 2/6/2008
I truly enjoyed reading the end of your story. It is very true to the character portrayal in the books/show and also has the mystery that is always present in a Cadfael story. I hope you continue writing in this vein since it is something to look forward to in the Cadfael section.
Greenleaf's Daughter chapter 11 . 2/2/2008
Thank you so much for this nice and wonderful last chapter! When I saw that you had updated Crusaders, I just had to read it. Althgouh I went to uni today to correct a friend's dissertation... You did a really lovely job with this story and I hope I can read more from you soon in this fandom! Might be morbid, but I somehow liked the exchanges between Cadfael and Olivier about Ayah and Gawain... especially because he doesnn't know he is Cadfael's son.
dart53 chapter 10 . 12/14/2007
Have enjoyed reading so far and can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve. Relationship between Cadfael and Hugh follows the original books as do the twists and turns. The odd contemporary term cause a bit of a jolt here and there but it doesn't detract from the whole.

Awaiting the next chapter with anticipation!
Greenleaf's Daughter chapter 9 . 11/20/2007
Hi Val,

Thanks a lot for a new, lovely and wonderful chapter. I like your twists and turns, and your sense of humour…. “ridiculously he felt a little like a little boy caught with his hand in the cookie jar” sounds quite funny when you describe Cadfael. So unusual, but true somehow…. I also loved the following instances (forgive me please, I copied and pasted them here): “The monk glanced at his son for a fleeting instant. He knew he could never let Olivier be murdered in front of him without doing something about it, even if all he accomplished was to be killed as the first. He had failed his son once already, when he had left Maryam, and he would not do so again, because either way he would not survive it.“ and „He was unable to move, hardly capable of breathing, strangely oppressed as he watched the two most important persons in his life struggle in a battle they could never win.”

Also “Dieter” for another of the Knight Templar sounds nice…. Although it sounds unusual in my ears for the time of the Crusades… For that I would have chosen Dietrich or Di(e)derich, but of course Dieter might still be an older name, it just sounds unusual and more modern somehow…

You’ve made me curious with the last sentence of the following… Are you sure there’s no story to come after this? In your ‘universe’, that is. ) “The young man hesitated for a second, and Cadfael could tell he was tempted to refuse and to leave Amaury, whom he clearly considered to be a disgrace to the order, to his fate. Biting his lip, the monk prayed that his son did no such thing. It would only be the first step, but it was a step that led straight to the road of evil, he knew that all too well.”

Sorry that the other one is so slow in coming, real life is quite busy at the moment… but I’ll keep thinking or writing and deleting again. *sigh*

Hope you’re well!

Best wishes,

Greenleaf's Daughter chapter 8 . 10/22/2007
Hi Val!

Nice idea to introduce Olivier here and you even got his name right, I've seen it so often without the i. But since you're French, I shouldn't really comment on this (but I couldn't resist, sorry). )

By the way, does Olivier know that he is Cadfael's son? Does Hugh know it? Looking forward to see if he joins them in their investigation... Update soon, please!

Greenleaf's Daughter chapter 7 . 10/16/2007
Hi Val!

Thanks for those two lovely chapters! They're really wonderful and I'm curious to see what's next. Hopefully you're not having too much trouble with the next chapter.

Rosemary For Remembrance chapter 7 . 9/30/2007
Lovely! Two new chapters for me to sit and read and procrastinate with! Awesome connections, you always seem to be able to re-create those twisted, ironic, startling "Cadfael Connections" that seem to define every one of his wacky investigations!

I love where this is going, especially with the now-missing wife, Ayah and the mention of Olivier as a child. Also, the juxtaposition of the land of Cadfael's youth with his thoughts about old age and death stand out quite poignantly.

Bravo!

Rosie
Rosemary For Remembrance chapter 5 . 9/27/2007
I suppose it's rather testy of me to write a review for the last chapter and none of the previous ones... but ah, I'm a busy gal!

Anyway, this fic is awesome. Hands down. You're well on your way to surpassing your first fic, and I'm hopeful for the next few chapters. You portray the Holy Land with such clarity and accuracy, I'm not even tempted to nit pick!

Bravo,

Rosie
Bookbug chapter 5 . 9/19/2007
Brilliant! It's great to see some Cadfael fan fic here as there is not much of it around (that I have found anyway!)

Well done - loved your last story 'Bad Blood' and this one is just as intriguing.

More more! :)
Greenleaf's Daughter chapter 5 . 9/11/2007
Wonderful twist at the end! I wonder what Blaine has against our favourite monk that he calls him "that annoying Welsh sermoniser". Hopefully it's nothing to serious. ) Wouldn't want to have him run into trouble...

Cadfael's opinion about Tahir is also very interesting and I wonder what you have planed for that character...
Greenleaf's Daughter chapter 4 . 9/6/2007
That's mean, killing Thornbury off before the two can find him! ) When I first read about the reaction of the commander, I thought for a moment you're playing at something more like Lawrence of Arabia, an Englishman siding himself with the natives. *feels her plot bunny coming back to her*

Any way, again a wonderful chapter and so soon after the last. That's heaven and I'm grinning like a Cheshire cat! )