Reviews for A Faun and His Flute
Ilovebooks1234 chapter 1 . 9/24/2014
This was beautiful, thank you for sharing!
Ani-maniac494 chapter 1 . 6/5/2013
This is absolutely beautiful! Amen, whether it be playing music or writing, or dancing, or any other field, anything we do for Him has so much more meaning.

Great work! :)

Ani-maniac494
servant123 chapter 1 . 4/17/2012
You did indeed "pull it off" and quite beautifully, I might add. You've brought a beautiful new aspect to the story and I'm very pleased that it was written, and with such skill. You see this is why I play to, and why I sing. I believe one's voice can never sound better than when making music for The One who invented it in the beginning. I hope you continue writing, and I look forward to reading more of your work. Many blessings to you,
marmota-b chapter 1 . 12/16/2011
I know exactly what you mean, and I think you did pull it off. I don't play myself, but I can sing, and listen to music. So I guess I'm a bit like Lucy in this story. I did not expect that twist to the story, but when it came, it made perfect sense - much more than any other solution would or could.

My only little complaint about your story is that Lucy seems to be acting - speaking - a bit older than she seemed to me in the book. In more thought-out sentences, if that makes sense. But then, I guess that's what being a Queen of Narnia does to her. That letter in the beginning, on the other hand, seems to convey perfectly her mix of friendly and excited personality with a responsible queen and a polite being. It was the letter's wording that drew me into the story immediatelly. It did a great job as a letter, a self-contained story in a story.
Desertfyre chapter 1 . 3/30/2011
That was beautiful! I loved it!
unicorn-skydancer08 chapter 1 . 10/27/2008
That was brilliant! I immediately fell in love with this story. You're such a magnificent author. (Being an ambitious author myself, that's saying a lot.)

I adore "The Chronicles of Narnia", and I absolutely adore Tumnus, and this is definitely one of the best stories I've read concerning him! Excellent work!
Qoheleth chapter 1 . 5/26/2008
Dear Petraverd:

First of all, let me say that this is one of the most beautiful themes I've ever seen on this site. Poignance, tenderness, theological profundity: in terms of potential, this story has it all. Indeed, I think it's the very perfection of the storyline that causes you some problems.

See, in order for this story to work, both Lucy and Tumnus have to be precisely in character. As you've written it, Tumnus is fine, but I have my doubts about Lucy. It's hard to pinpoint, but I'm having trouble identifying the unique voice of Narnia's child queen; for the most part, the queen seems to be eclipsing the child. It's as though you know what you want her to say so specifically that you're saying it for her.

I'll give you a minor example. In the penultimate sentence, you have Lucy say, "There is no need for words, Mr. Tumnus." I can't help feeling that the Lucy I know would have said, "It's all right, Mr. Tumnus. You don't need to say anything." Something to that effect, anyway.

So if you could go over this story again with that in mind, I'd really appreciate it. I desperately want to be able to add this to my Favorites list, and it depresses me severely to think that it's not quite ready yet.

Sincerely,

Qoheleth
Violamom chapter 1 . 4/16/2008
Wonderful, Petra...just wonderful! Don't know why on earth I haven't read this before. So many great things...Tumnus' haunted memories, the sadness of never before experiencing the JOY of music, his loyalty to please others despite his own lack of enjoyment, Lucy's sweetness, gentle encouragement and spiritual wisdom (hm, reminds me of a certain daughter of mine...), and of course, his misgivings melting as his heart thaws in confession and worship through his playing. Wow. All of it. I haven't read all your things yet, Petra, and I've enjoyed all the works I have seen, but this one is my favorite hands down. Not just because of the power of music, but to witness the cleansing of a soul tormented with the memories of past sin was just beautiful. Well done!
MyBlueOblivion chapter 1 . 2/5/2008
Bravo! I really enjoyed this story. So many writers here seem to concentrate solely on Edmund's redemption and healing, and completely forget that poor Tumnus was in her employ for far longer. That kind of thing leaves a scar; the way you portrayed that in his complete loss of love for music was beautifully done.

Music truly is a wonderful thing, in worship or without, and the joy it brings can often heal better than words. I'm glad you gave our favourite faun the chance.

MyBlueOblivion
Lady Rosebud chapter 1 . 10/16/2007
Oh Petra! That was beautiful! Especially the last few paragraphs when Tumnus is playing for Aslan.

In your A/N you wrote: "Music is a very large part of my life, and nothing gives me a thrill like playing for Him." I feel the same way whenever I sit down to the piano or organ with a prayer in my heart. "Lord, help this music to be a joyful noise for you." There is no greater or more wonderful listener then Jesus. This story really reached into my heart and I was able to connect with Tumnus as he choose to play with his soul and not just his lips and fingers.
thecrazyfanficcer chapter 1 . 10/8/2007
My gosh! It's SO IN CHARACTER!

(passes out)

And that's all I need to say. Well, that and that you maybe could check it over one last time. Other than that, it's AWESOME!

This is like such a short review for me! -

-Fanficcer
openmeadow chapter 1 . 9/5/2007
Well done! I love how you wrote it and how you expressed the power of music. I have tried again and agian how to express the feeling of actually plaing the music, not the notes or rhythems but the music. Thank you so much!
Bat'Arieh chapter 1 . 9/3/2007
Oh, Petraverd, how incredible! What a wonderful piece! I do believe that it has accomplished exactly what you wanted. As I read the beginning of the piece I saw it all laid out and it made perfect sense - Tumnus would have needed this encouragement, I'm sure of it.

I like how Lucy responds to Tumnus' remorse. "He saw Lucy’s mouth form a silent “Oh” as he trailed off." That was very Lucy. And I like how she talks him through his motivation for playing and then suggests such a powerful alternative in her simple, childlike way.

Sometimes I think it will be hard to translate a seemingly complex notion from our world into Narnia, but you did very well here with the concept of worship. And you showed that it (and here I mean worship, not the writing) really is much simpler and wonderfully freeing than it may at first seem. Thank you!
Miss Pookamonga chapter 1 . 9/2/2007
Oh, how beautiful! I really loved it, especially since I too am a musician, and I understood everything you meant when you were describing Tumnus' feelings while playing, especially when he played for Aslan. This was a very unique and touching idea, and I'm glad you did write it. Great job!

Luv,

Miss Pookamonga ;-P
Miniver chapter 1 . 8/31/2007
What a great idea, to have Lucy suggest that Tumnus play for Aslan. The story seemed to me like variations on a theme (pun intended) of reconciliation—Tumnus to Lucy, Tumnus to Narnia, Tumnus to Aslan, and all of them back to him. What a wonderful way to use music! Music's tremendously important to me, though all I have as an instrument is my voice, so I was glad to see it used as such an important element here.