Reviews for Palantír
Kitt Otter chapter 5 . 3/21/2008
You delt with the switch between Tolkien's dialogue and your own skillfully, especially by giving us the full gist of Denethor's thoughts. That he saw Faramir as betraying his city is now clear. Of course what he did looks foolish from where Denethor stands.

The flashbacks almost brought me to tears. You did a very good job working up the emotions for both Faramir's and Denethor's memories.

Kitt Otter chapter 4 . 3/20/2008
First to answer your question: It is more easily seen Denethor’s change after Finduilas’s death; I really like that she is able to soften him, even before many people. Throughout this story you give Denethor’s many dimensions and I think it would be a sorry thing to take that out.

And on to this chapter… I like Denethor’s comparison of the situation to Gondolin. The tenseness between Denethor and Mithrandir is tangible. Mithrandir’s warning, that Denethor could fall the same way Saruman did, is interesting. I did not often compare those two in my thoughts.

The way you handled Finduilas’s death, how she gradually grew wearier, was perfect. It is easy now to see that she did, indeed, die by way of grief.

I look forward to reading more soon.

Kitt Otter chapter 3 . 3/19/2008
A very packed chapter; scary, angsty, informing (wonderful gap filler, this!), and fluffy. The fluff makes a good contrast with the rest, and perhaps makes it all the more sad. It gave me a leap when Denethor and Faramir heard the horn, and even more of a leap when Sauron appeared.

I like that Finduilas was shown and her thoughts voiced.

Finally when Denethor recognised Thorongil... that was a great moment. Sauron having the last word here was a perfect ending to the chapter.

I am very impressed. Good work!

-Kitt :)
Kitt Otter chapter 2 . 3/19/2008
I love the dialogues. They are so like Boromir, Faramir, Aragorn, and Denethor would talk. Aragorn's shutting the door firmly actually is a more haunting picture than his slamming it.

Kitt Otter chapter 1 . 3/18/2008
Oh, this is interesting! The title itself drew me in: simple and sharp. I like the way Denethor's wielding of the Palantir was described. Denethor's father, though stern, is shown to be wise; his drilling of Denethor was a good detail.

I will read more as I find time the nest few days.

-Kitt :)
lindahoyland chapter 5 . 2/10/2008
I like the way you fill in the thoughts of the characters in the scene from the book.

Aragorn is from the north,not the south.

The accounts of the battles and the losses were heartrending.
lindahoyland chapter 4 . 10/26/2007
An excellent chapter giving a unique insight into Denethor's state of mind.A nice contrast from the usual madman of fanon.
Sarahbarr17 chapter 4 . 10/25/2007
Good to see another chapter - this is very good!

Sarah x
InChrist-Billios chapter 4 . 10/25/2007
Ah, calamities precluding the posting of a chapter. Yes. Understandable. All is forgiven. *smile*

Wonderful chapter, once again. The battle tactics and whatnot mostly slipped over my head, buy I happily read them anyway and pretended I knew what places they were talking about. (Well, I suppose I did know a lot, but I didn't know quite all of them)

Finduilas was heartbreaking. How COULD she just give up hope like that? That's awful. She dies hopeless and miserable. Ugh. Little wonder Denethor is so bitter; he feels responsible for her death, at least in part. How terrible. *sniff* She was great though, very sweet and realistic.

It was all great. Good work.

lindahoyland chapter 3 . 9/22/2007
Poor Denethor, Sauron certainly knows how to manipulate him. I'm enjoying this well written story.
lindahoyland chapter 2 . 9/22/2007
I love the way you portray the characters in this chapter.
AC2 chapter 2 . 9/13/2007
Nice work with the characterisation, the relationship with Denethor and the political intrigue.

You still have issues with grammar and stuff, but I have sent you the details by PM. Looking forward to seeing this again when it has been corrected. Hope to eventually be able to add it to my C2.

It's good to see someone take an interest in the Denethor/Aragorn struggle. I do like this story, honest!
FebruarySong chapter 2 . 9/13/2007
Kiwi! (May I call you Kiwi?) This is sheer and lovely brilliance. I so enjoyed the subtle - and not so subtle - favoritism that Denethor displays between Boromir and Faramir. And I loved (LOVED!) the conversation between young!Denethor and semiyoung!Aragorn. It was intense and subtle at the same time... and I know I've been using "subtle" a lot but it's such a nifty word and it describes your stuff so well. You have a very pleasing, well-layered writing style that is simply a joy to read. By well-layered I mean that you have a first layer of good vocabulary that's not too lofty but at the same time advanced and nicely rounded. Then for a second layer you have just darn good dialogue and descriptions, and then a third layer of intensity and drama that doesn't go overboard into the realm of melodrama. I am very impressed that you refrained from having Aragorn slam the door in the last passage... I wouldn't have had the fortitude. It was a nice touch that he simply "shut the doors firmly." Very IC. He doesn't really seem like a door-slamming kinda guy. I wish I could write like this... such a nice blend of quiet prose and bright, fascinating story-telling.

Alright, alright. I've gushed enough. (I like to gush, can you tell?) Here, have a piece of cake or something. :)
Sarahbarr17 chapter 2 . 9/13/2007
Well written, with good characterisation. A nice exploration of Denethor.

Sarah x
InChrist-Billios chapter 2 . 9/13/2007

*Aragorn strides furiously away, muttering about senseless, arrogant, overbearing stewards with far too much pride for their own good*

There, now I am at peace as well.

Wonderful chapter! It draws you in so well, I'm astounded. You captured the light preference for Boromir, also. I do forget - in the books, is it as prominent as the movies? I sorely need to reread them sometime. If it is, you should probably make it a little bit more blunt. But, if the books didn't harp on it, good job for following suit.

The dream is interestingly written, good job. And the whole scene with Aragorn just makes me smile. He is one of the coolest characters ever. *half-smile* You write him well.

Wonderful chapter!