Reviews for A Determined Frame of Mind
I guess you must have been tired of hearing this at some point but your story was in lack of another word ...glorious. It reminded me of Greek tragedies. All those emotions building up leading to a catharsis so strong it had me smiling all day just thinking about it. The characters were so well written, so rounded. It was the first story of yours I read but I am sure I will read many more if only to relive even for a little this wirlwind of emotions.
SarahLuzie chapter 24 . 2/3
This is really another of your truly incredible stories.
I really love it. Your characters are perfect. And the storyline throughly genius.

I loved both of these stories!
Ais chapter 24 . 12/18/2016
Thank you so immensely much. I can't express how purely joyous this story has made me and how much it has helped me. It may sound terribly cliche and corny, but your writing has made me find a hope and love that I never dreamed of. I've been more confident and ambitious and I've stopped fucking putting on a facade when I'm around others. I've been more myself, and it's thanks to you. I'm sorry if this sounds like I'm gushing but you deserve every accolade for this amazing piece. It was beautifully written, humorous, wonderfully intelligent, raw, compelling and fascinating beyond belief, hot, enrapturing... It evoked such powerful emotions within me. When they finally freed Harry of the curse I couldn't help myself and started actually cheering and pumping my fist in the air for about five minutes. This happened multiple times throughout the story. I would've looked hilarious if anyone was around to witness it. I laughed and cried and smiled until my cheeks hurt. This story held my heart, broke it, and then mended it, putting it back together in a way a trillion times better than before. I loved all of the psychology and inter and inner personal dynamics and the exquisitely developed characters and plot and problems and fantasy and setting and concepts and details and humor and and world. Holy shit it was... thank you. Please don't stop writing, whether it's Drarry or anything else. You're incredible.
Oh and obviously I adored A Reckless Frame of Mind too.
Blue chapter 24 . 9/12/2016
Brilliant!
Rini2012 chapter 24 . 8/5/2016
This honestly was an amazing story. It was recommended on a Buzzfeed article called "21 Harry Potter Fanfics You Need To Read Before You Die", and I gotta say, they were right on this one.
Amazing Job :)
Guest chapter 24 . 7/21/2016
This was absolutely amazing! I LOVED it. I think this is my all time favorite story! Great job!
Guest chapter 17 . 7/21/2016
Ow my heart.
Guest chapter 24 . 7/15/2016
I can't emphasize enough how beautiful this story is, nor how grateful I am to be allowed the pleasure of reading it. But it is an extraordinary fanfic all the way through, and thank you for posting it. Really looking forward to reading more of your brilliant writings!
Melissa chapter 17 . 4/11/2016
I very, very VERY much want to cry right now, but I'll trust that you wouldn't leave us all this way and will fix this horrific turn off events within the next few chapters.
AdYtO chapter 24 . 4/10/2016
A very satisfactory story! It had all the elements neded for an intriguing tale. The susspense, angst, danger versus the strenght, love and persistance were a trilling combination. The building up of the story was making sure you want to read it to the end. Every time a chapter ended, the reader's curiosity grew. The constantly changing circumstances, the expected but unpredictable turn of events - this is what kept my interest, not only in the parts of romance that I prefer reading, but in the discriptions, explanations and slower action scenes. I couldn't stop reading until it finished! And the end was also sating - a rightful conclusion for both the god and the bad personages, but with a subtle opportunity for future development if needed. A truly wonderful story!
On the other hand, I have been following your publishings without even noticing and sometimes even leaving reviews, which is uncharacteristic of me. That is because I find a large number of your fictions interesting and consuming. I wish that you continue in the same maner and I believe that it is imperative for you to enter the writing business, if you haven't done that yet! I always look forward to your new fictions! Best of luck!
Adyto
MyCoffeeWarnedMeAboutIt chapter 24 . 4/6/2016
Hi! First of all, I’d like to mention how I discovered this story: I stumbled upon “The Dust of Water”, which I really liked (waiting for chapter 41 anytime now :p), and decided to give it a try with more of your work. The summary of “A Reckless Frame of Mind” caught my attention, so here I am, three days later, completely smitten.

Speaking of the summary, to be honest, I was a bit sceptical at first. Yes, it did pique my curiosity; yes, it did make me read; yes, it did achieve its goal. But I was nervous about the kind of story you’d be telling. Psychology is always complicated, and it’s way too easy to fall in the same traps and tropes and clichés and to exaggerate. Was Harry going to be the paragon of every teen dramas I ever stumbled upon (with regret and disdain)? Was Draco going to be the cold, I-can-read-your-soul (OK in this case he actually can) therapist every bad TV-show or story paint?

So I read chapter one and was quite pleased, but still on my guard.

And then I read chapter two, and I KNEW I was going to worship your story till the end.

Wow. I was not expecting that! It was a marvellous surprise, well-written, well-plotted. I lack the perfect words to express myself, but know that I was overwhelmed with emotions and eagerness to discover the next chapters. And, honestly, it doesn’t happen very often. Most of the time, even when I enjoy a story, I can’t help but feel some kind of obligation to finish. I look at how many pages/scrolls are left until the chapter ends, and I’m all like “OK! Only X more to go!” like it’s some kind of homework or duty and not a pleasure for me to read. Even when I do like the story. But not with you! I don’t know; maybe because your chapters are not that long? Maybe because not one of them is useless? (Believe me, sometimes when I read FF or original fictions online, I wonder if the author has a point or just likes writing purple prose)

So, as I was saying: the (early) plot-twist surprised me in a good way. I don’t think I have read this technique (“changing” what the story is about in the first few chapters) very often before, and it never fails with me. I’m too naïve to think about schemes like this; I assume the summary reflects what the whole story is about, and voilà :p That’s probably why I can’t write good summaries. Or surprising stories. So, thanks: I think I can learn vicariously from you!

But it’s not the only thing I learned from you. Remember how I said psychology is a very hard genre to master? I think you were quite successful in writing about it! I was convinced by Draco’s and Harry’s psychology, inner turmoil, reactions. Never once did I think “Hm, no? That doesn’t make sense?”. It was actually the contrary; I kept thinking “Oh, right, they totally *would* react like that, considering what happened.” Seriously, I’m a psychology graduate myself, and I don’t think I would have thought about the consequences of the Cassandra Curse on Harry as thoroughly as you did. (On the other hand, I was never very good at analyzing people – which is probably why I switched to social work :p) It was simply wonderful to see their relationship grow, change; to see Draco’s patience, Harry’s fear, and the way they ended up together. Seriously. Wow. I never thought a whole chapter could be about a sex scene and still be amazing/interesting (even if it were the characters’ first time), but you made us wait sooooo long for it that I didn’t complain.

That’s another thing I wanted to mention. The smut. Here we go: you changed everything about my expectations of smut in a story. I don’t usually read smut just for the fun of smut, meaning: I need a good story, too. But at the same time, if a story is ranked “M”, I expect frequent smut along the way, haha. Dear Lord. You made me wait for it. So, so long. I could feel Draco’s eagerness and impatience! Which I guess is a good thing, if you want the readers to connect to your characters :p It’s risky, tho, because the reader can be disappointed and think “Ah, so I waited that long for THIS?” But seriously, I was not disappointed. Everything was perfect! And the smut was very consequent with Harry’s psychology. It should always be like that (someone once said: “If a sex scene doesn’t change anything to your characters’ personality or relationship, don’t bother with it”, and I think it’s true). So here, I just wanted to let you know you thrived!

Concerning the story itself, I’m really pleased with the way you wrote it and developed it. Not a chapter was useless or wasted. You added plot-twists and danger and drama and emotions, but also hope and love and warmth. Thank God! As I said, drama is a tricky genre to write because it’s easy to go darker and darker and darker. But your story made me laugh a bit, sometimes; it made me “aw”, it made me hope, it made me squeal. And it made me fangirl; did I mention I tried to convince a friend to read it? :p Actually, I loved your story so much that I read it on my phone when I was away from home. I was honestly captivated by the story you knit (because, as I discovered, everything is linked), and I’m not disappointed about one single thing.

I must applaud your dialogs; they were very, very good, very in-character. Your take on Draco was amazing. I loved the way you described him, the way he moved, talked, planed everything to gain Harry’s trust (so Slytherin!) – yes, I’m talking about that morning Harry found him “asleep” :p In my opinion, he remained elegant and noble while still being human (OK, he could have been a bit more flawed, but I’m seriously not complaining about *that*).

I noticed a quirk of yours, which makes me like your stories even more. Ah, how to explain it? When you describe something, it’s so vibrant…? I don’t remember correctly the quote, but you said something about “He was (something) with (something) like cider is flavoured with apples”. You always write things like that, and it’s so… beautiful, light; it makes me fall in love with your writing all over again.

Because yes, I’ve fallen in love with your story. So far, it’s one of my favourite Harry Potter fanfiction. Because everything was perfect: the idea, the writing, the characters, the pace, the smut, the length. If I ever write about two people slowly changing (may that be “falling in love” or “starting to be happy” or “becoming horrible people”), I hope I can emulate your subtlety. Your story was convincing. That’s mainly why I was so eager to know the next step: I knew you wouldn’t use some cheap deus ex machina or something easy like that to solve the problems, so I was curious to discover what you had in mind. Gosh. I admire you, because if I had written that story, I never would have come up with the ideas/solutions you came up with! That’s partly why I enjoyed reading you so much: I had the feeling of discovering something new/being surprised, not the feeling of reading my own ideas written by someone else. I’m not sure that part is clear? For instance, your story would have been way less interesting if I kept thinking “Yep, I figured they were gonna do that. Yep, that, too.”

So, as I said, I’m smitten.

Hence my next question. English is not my mother tongue; that would be French. I did a quick research, but I didn’t find a translation for your “Frames of Mind” series. I was wondering if you’d allow me to translate it? I still need to figure out a few things, and I’m quite busy with college, but I figured I’d ask anyway to see if you welcomed the idea.

So! There! That’s what I had to say about your story. Once again, I’m really impressed with your work, the plot, the psychology. And the idea, too! I’m really, really glad I discovered the Frames of Mind series – and you, since you’re quite the prolific author! I’m already reading “The Dust of Water”, as I said earlier, but I’ll make sure to check more of your work. Thanks for sharing your passion and talent with the rest of us :)
Guest chapter 1 . 3/19/2016
Seriously was hard to get anything done I was so enamored with the story I had to finish it all at one time! I have highly recommended this to many of my friends and family and the ones who read it all agree this story is just so captivating!
ohmygoddrarry chapter 24 . 2/23/2016
This story is so wonderfully written and realistic(when you think about the books), it's like reading an 8th book! Thank you so much for writing this amazing story and sharing it with us Drarry shippers 3
Jessica Murray chapter 24 . 2/18/2016
Beautifully written. I loved both in this series! Well done! Thank you!