Reviews for Caged
Zukansokunetsu chapter 20 . 2/1
Don't want to be a bother but can you give an indication when or if a new chapter will be released as Caged has been inactive for little over two years? Mainly because I really want to know what happens next after reading it again.
The Dah chapter 21 . 10/27/2014
Funny story; it was Christmas two year's a go that I was on my way to the family dinner with my Fiance, and as I had once more reread this story (one of my all time favorites) and I kept angsting / plotting / guessing / building might-be scenarios for the chapter 22.. during that travel, over one hour straight I kept going on and on and on - gleefully enthusiastic.

Now, this week I have reread the story once again and tonight have kept plaguing my poor fiance once more with my theories of this fic - and he says to me, honestly puzzled: haven't I already heard this before? Why are you still guessing?

*sobs*

In any case, I just wanted to let you know that this story is wonderful in every way and I shall wait 'till the end of time. *Heh*

Much love,

The Dah / Rahmakapala (reviewing as a quest because I have already used my one slot several times over.)

(And if it amuses you, those theories of mine spanned all the way to plotting a scene where Sasuke will wrangle Kenshin to meet up with Kenji and Yahiko after the war.)
Nocens chapter 21 . 7/16/2014
Ye Gods, if you *do* stop writing at this point I am going to be stuck re-reading this story in a never ending cycle of excitement and awe and misery as I hit this vile cliffhanger.
I love the plot, I love the characters - your OCs are so full of individuality and so well presented, even the worst skeptic will have to admit you have done a brilliant job with them.
I see you've made a pretty big hiatus since you've last posted, but please don't give up! If you need any inspiration go watch the live action movie - it sure did put me in the mood for Ruroken after I had strayed into other fandoms.
It's getting harder to find such well written fiction , as a whole, and in the Ruroken fandom your story is like an oasis in the middle of the desert.

I hope you keep writing and if you do have any news please post a note or if it's not too much of a bother drop me a line in PM.

Cheers,
Lap aka Nocens
Paksennarion chapter 21 . 6/26/2014
Waa... I just... I... Read all of this story in one night and I have to say... wow.

Please tell me you're not done? This is amazing! I just can't believe it. I don't really know what the Highlander story is, excepting that it's about immortal people trying to chop other people's heads off, but this take on RK is so so soooo good. You just write Kenshin perfectly, and the story concept! And all the characters. Somehow you've made me care about random new characters as if they were really in the series. Everyone is so fully fleshed out and the history is apt and then there's just that thin line of RK story running through what really could be an amazing fiction on the Japanese internment camps all on its own.

I applaud you, seriously, for taking this idea and then writing it realistically and not losing my interest even once! Please, please, please, if you're even considering continuing, please do. I have waited 21 chapters for this climax, and while I at first thought the wait would be tiring it was so spectacular, but I still really can't wait to see what happens next!

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
TOSoldtimer chapter 1 . 5/13/2014
I read this story on stops during the long drive from Florida to Connecticut. It was a very welcome distraction. What an apt title! One of my mother's closest friends was an American born teenager, George F... who was imprisoned with his immigrant Japanese family at Manzanar. They had been prosperous before the war, but they lost everything to confiscation, theft and taxes. George came of age at the camp, enlisted in the army, fought in Europe, and went to university on the GI bill. Somehow, he managed to keep bitterness and anger at the racist injustice from tainting his life. Our families got together often during my childhood, and he was a major influence in my life.

You have done a masterful job of using Kenshin and the Immortals to bring to life one of the most shameful episodes in 20th century American history. Your understated narrative illuminates the courage with which these Japanese Amerians endured the appalling conditions at the camps. I loved the way Tom (Kenshin) struggled to pretend ignorance of Kendo and Japanese, and his desperate efforts to help and protect his grandson, great grandchildren and their family and friends. Your characterizations are excellant - the Immortals too. I loved the scenes where Keshin tries to explain ki to his skeptical descendants. But now he has forsworn his oath and killed to defend his family. Please, I want to know how it comes out. Please, please, PLEASE UPDATE! This epic tale is too good to let die! And thanks.
dhrachth chapter 21 . 4/21/2014
Coincidentally, a couple hours before I found this fic I watched the episode of RK where Kenshin gets his replacement sword and thinks he killed Cho the Sword Hunter to protect a toddler before he realizes the sword he has in his hand is also a reverse blade sword and he didn't kill anyone. So when I read this chapter it struck me as particularly true to the character, since I was already thinking about Kenshin and his no kill promise and the way you wrote this scene is just the same as I was already thinking about it.

The handful of RK/HL crossovers I've read usually bug me because Kenshin has given up his vow to not kill. People continually trying to kill him is pretty much business as usual for Kenshin. Putting your life on the line for the sake of your ideals is basically the core of the series. And Kenshin's vow and belief that killing is always wrong is a big part of who he is. However, as much as he'll risk himself, he'd never put his ideals before the lives of others. So the way you have it happen really rang true to me. Kenshin will be devastated on his own behalf, but Tatsuya is more important.

I do want more context on Kenshin leaving his family. I know it's HL tradition for people to ditch their relatives after the first death for *reasons.* But, that was never really consistent in the series. You have to just let your current family think you're dead, but it's okay to fill in the odd mortal, like Tessa, later because you can't live your whole life alone...
I can't imagine the Kenshingumi not being overjoyed to have him back, regardless of the freaky coming back from the dead part. Of course if there were circumstances, like too many witnesses to his first death, that would make his going home impossible and more understandable.
Zukansokunetsu chapter 21 . 3/10/2014
I was a little iffy coming into this story at first because it was crossed over with something I didn't know, but I started reading it because it seemed to have an interesting idea behind the plot. And boy am I glad I did end up reading it, it is one of the best laid out stories that I've read in a long time, you seemed to have done actual research into these camps and how they worked, how the Japanese where treated in America during WWII, while also keeping Kenshin in character while also making room for the differences that anyone would make in 50 or so years.

Although I would love you to release some new chapters, I know that you have a life and things of your own to do, I will wait in hope that you have not abandoned it or forgotten.

I also blame you because I found it last night and stayed up to 4 am on a school night, so now I am just about dead on my feet, writing this in class when I'm meant to being doing something else.

Thanks
Gilbird
Calli-co Cat chapter 20 . 1/28/2014
(Sorry about the double review - cat jumped on the keyboard and posted before I was ready, then had to go to the previous chapter to finish the review due to the one review per chapter thing.)

It's been a very long time since I've been on, and yet when I do come back to check up on old stories, this one never fails to amaze me. It's been four years since the last time I'd looked at, and I decided, on a whim, to go through and clear out all the stories I had marked on alert. I found this one toward the beginning of that sort and spent what time I had the next two days reading through it all. Then, when I finished yesterday, I came back and read it all through a second time.

You are an absolutely amazing writer. You bring the characters to life, and I can envision everything you've written. I know you've said on your profile that you feel you haven't developed some of the characters enough, but I think that is only in the fact that some characters, such as Sasuke, haven't been a main focus of the story for a good chunk of it. But if you have them developed in your head and you know how they'll act, then you can keep developing them as you write. Almost all of your characters, other than the bit ones, such as the Andersons and Brooks, have been developed to a point that we have a good idea of how they would or should act, so I doubt anything you write would come across as odd. You have an ability that not every writer can pull off - making sure to keep your characters realistic and grounded, but still vivid and natural, while keeping those you are borrowing (Kenshin, Fitz, etc) true to the characters as they were originally created.

I fully believe that you will finish this story, and no matter how long it takes, I look forward to seeing this reach its end, even while I know I will be upset that the journey is finally over. Like a book that you can't put down, it doesn't matter how many times I've read this - I am glued to my computer until I'm forced off when I read this story. You are, by far, one of my absolute favorite fanfic authors, one that no matter how old I get or how distant I become from fanfiction in general, I will always return to read. I wish I could write as you do, but I'm even more glad that you are willing to share your talents with the rest of us.

Keep up the good work, and don't worry so much about how long it takes. Those of us that truly love and enjoy this story are willing to wait. We understand that real life takes precedence over everything else. And honestly, with the cliffhanger you gave us, when you finally do manage to get your next chapter up, the wait will be worth it! You're amazing, and I look forward to the day I get to read a new chapter!

Calli
Calli-co Cat chapter 21 . 1/28/2014
It's been a very long time since I've been on , and yet when I do come back to check up on old stories, this one never fails to amaze me. It's been four years since the last time I'd looked at , and I decided, on a whim, to go through and clear out all the stories I had marked on alert. I found this one toward the beginning of that sort and spent what time I had the next two days reading through it all. Then, when I finished yesterday, I came back and read it all through a second time.

You are an absolutely amazing writer. You bring the characters to life, and I can envision everything you've written. I know you've said on your profile that you feel you haven't developed some of the characters enough, but I think that is only in the fact that some characters, such as Sasuke, haven't been a main focus of the story for a good chunk of it. But if you have them developed in your head and you know how they'll act, then you can keep developing them as you write. Almost all of your characters, other than the bit ones, such as the Andersons and Brooks, have been developed to a point that we have a good idea of how they would or should act, so I doubt anything you write would come across as odd. You have an ability that not every writer can pull off - making sure to keep your characters realistic and grounded, but still vivid and natural, while keeping those from
reality deviant chapter 21 . 12/13/2013
great chapter good fic
Whitetree-Nimloth chapter 20 . 11/8/2013
Okay, so I've been rereading your story... It is a really interesting story, and you've left us with a evil cliffhanger at the end of that last chapter! And in Sasuke's point of view, which is even more tense! Can we hope for an annual update? :D
K chapter 21 . 10/1/2013
SUCH a brilliant story! I really enjoyed reading this. There is a depth to your characters that I really admire, and I like the way you've developed Kenshin's character, too. I can't wait to see how Sasuke reacts to everything, how that affects their interactions, and how Kenshin reacts, too. This is a wonderful, engaging story. Thanks so much for writing.
silverskies87 chapter 21 . 5/21/2013
FRIGGIN HELL, MAN! Come on, why'd I have to catch up on a chapter like that? Please for the love of God tell me there's another chapter coming. I might die if there isn't.
Beloved Daughter chapter 21 . 3/19/2013
Awesome, awesome story! I love how you incorporated the history of the Japanese-American concentration camps with Himura Kenshin and his descendants. I have to admit that I don't know much about highlander except the fact that they don't really die but I didn't really need to either the way you write. Really cool story and I can't wait for the next chapter update! :) Please update again soon! I am highly interested to finding out how Sasuke will handle finding out about his ancestor!
Idhren chapter 21 . 2/27/2013
This meticulously crafted story does honor to both its canon parents and to the real, historical people who lived through the camps. I look forward to seeing how you wrap it up from here whenever you get around to it, and thank you: thank you from the bottom of my heart for not shying away from this too-often-buried part of American history, and thank you for doing the research and telling your story with respectful care for historical accuracy. (Well, when not otherwise contradicted by fictional canon...*cough*Immortals*cough*)