Reviews for Caged
creativesm75 chapter 21 . 10/16/2018
ooh good fic
Guest chapter 21 . 12/25/2017
Reread this wonderful story again for the nth time and once again I was reminded why it's one of my all-time favorite fics.

I love the worldbuilding you have done, it's very realistic while retaining the edge of fantasy. I adore all the historical references and research you have put into this story. And most of all, I love your take on beloved fictional characters and how you have created your own characters (realistic, believable characters at that) for them to interact with, that enrichen the story even further.

Thank you for sharing this story! It has been one of the biggest literary impacts for me, and has given me a lot of inspiration for my own creative work, too. Safe to say, this story is forever engraved in my heart. Thank you so much for writing!

Sincerely yours,

TheDah
Esseraph chapter 21 . 7/6/2017
Just finished a reread of this and it's as awesome as I remember! I hope writing it going okay!
Catcrazzed chapter 21 . 2/22/2017
Nice! Hope you were telling the truth on your page when you said you are still working on this, it'd be a shame for this story to stay uncompleted :D
Enigma Jade chapter 21 . 11/1/2016
Enjoying this story tremendously! I hope you update again. :)
Guest chapter 21 . 2/8/2016
It's sad, that you haven't updated in about 3 years, but I really enjoyed the story so far. Even if you never finish: I am happy, that I found it!

But if you even finish: Please send me a message:
storm101 chapter 21 . 2/4/2016
There may have been literal screams of frustration when I hit the end of this chapter. I know absolutely nothing about Highlander aside from the fact that it seems to cross weirdly well with Rurouni Kenshin, but I just... wow, this story. Wow.

This is absolutely beautiful. I love how balanced Kenshin is in it, how natural and realistic he feels. All of it feels so realistic, and I'm not a student of history, but it feels accurate. I love the Himura family, and just... wow. Genuinely in awe of your skills. You make everything feel so... authentic is probably not quite the right word for it, but it's close. Sincere might be better. It feels real in a way that some published works don't.

Good job. I really hope you do finish this story, someday, and will definitely be adding it to my favorites and alert lists so I know immediately if it updates.

Best of luck with real life and figuring out your writing style! I hope to see more from you.
Pentasine chapter 21 . 11/7/2015
I'm so happy I dropped past your bio page and saw the note that you're still working on Caged! It's been one of my favourite unfinished stories for a long time and I'm really looking forward to finding out what happens next - especially since I just reread the story so far and was reminded of where Chapter 21 ends :-)
Rythulian124 chapter 21 . 7/7/2015
I hope you update soon! I love this story, I must have read it 5 times now, always feeling so anticipatory at the end for the next chapter! I look almost every day to see if its updated. Thanks for such an amazing story! I love the characters, plot and how you've described the era! It's just perfect!
UB-001 chapter 20 . 2/1/2015
Don't want to be a bother but can you give an indication when or if a new chapter will be released as Caged has been inactive for little over two years? Mainly because I really want to know what happens next after reading it again.
The Dah chapter 21 . 10/27/2014
Funny story; it was Christmas two year's a go that I was on my way to the family dinner with my Fiance, and as I had once more reread this story (one of my all time favorites) and I kept angsting / plotting / guessing / building might-be scenarios for the chapter 22.. during that travel, over one hour straight I kept going on and on and on - gleefully enthusiastic.

Now, this week I have reread the story once again and tonight have kept plaguing my poor fiance once more with my theories of this fic - and he says to me, honestly puzzled: haven't I already heard this before? Why are you still guessing?

*sobs*

In any case, I just wanted to let you know that this story is wonderful in every way and I shall wait 'till the end of time. *Heh*

Much love,

The Dah / Rahmakapala (reviewing as a quest because I have already used my one slot several times over.)

(And if it amuses you, those theories of mine spanned all the way to plotting a scene where Sasuke will wrangle Kenshin to meet up with Kenji and Yahiko after the war.)
Nocens chapter 21 . 7/16/2014
Ye Gods, if you *do* stop writing at this point I am going to be stuck re-reading this story in a never ending cycle of excitement and awe and misery as I hit this vile cliffhanger.
I love the plot, I love the characters - your OCs are so full of individuality and so well presented, even the worst skeptic will have to admit you have done a brilliant job with them.
I see you've made a pretty big hiatus since you've last posted, but please don't give up! If you need any inspiration go watch the live action movie - it sure did put me in the mood for Ruroken after I had strayed into other fandoms.
It's getting harder to find such well written fiction , as a whole, and in the Ruroken fandom your story is like an oasis in the middle of the desert.

I hope you keep writing and if you do have any news please post a note or if it's not too much of a bother drop me a line in PM.

Cheers,
Lap aka Nocens
Paksennarion chapter 21 . 6/26/2014
Waa... I just... I... Read all of this story in one night and I have to say... wow.

Please tell me you're not done? This is amazing! I just can't believe it. I don't really know what the Highlander story is, excepting that it's about immortal people trying to chop other people's heads off, but this take on RK is so so soooo good. You just write Kenshin perfectly, and the story concept! And all the characters. Somehow you've made me care about random new characters as if they were really in the series. Everyone is so fully fleshed out and the history is apt and then there's just that thin line of RK story running through what really could be an amazing fiction on the Japanese internment camps all on its own.

I applaud you, seriously, for taking this idea and then writing it realistically and not losing my interest even once! Please, please, please, if you're even considering continuing, please do. I have waited 21 chapters for this climax, and while I at first thought the wait would be tiring it was so spectacular, but I still really can't wait to see what happens next!

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
TOSoldtimer chapter 1 . 5/13/2014
I read this story on stops during the long drive from Florida to Connecticut. It was a very welcome distraction. What an apt title! One of my mother's closest friends was an American born teenager, George F... who was imprisoned with his immigrant Japanese family at Manzanar. They had been prosperous before the war, but they lost everything to confiscation, theft and taxes. George came of age at the camp, enlisted in the army, fought in Europe, and went to university on the GI bill. Somehow, he managed to keep bitterness and anger at the racist injustice from tainting his life. Our families got together often during my childhood, and he was a major influence in my life.

You have done a masterful job of using Kenshin and the Immortals to bring to life one of the most shameful episodes in 20th century American history. Your understated narrative illuminates the courage with which these Japanese Amerians endured the appalling conditions at the camps. I loved the way Tom (Kenshin) struggled to pretend ignorance of Kendo and Japanese, and his desperate efforts to help and protect his grandson, great grandchildren and their family and friends. Your characterizations are excellant - the Immortals too. I loved the scenes where Keshin tries to explain ki to his skeptical descendants. But now he has forsworn his oath and killed to defend his family. Please, I want to know how it comes out. Please, please, PLEASE UPDATE! This epic tale is too good to let die! And thanks.
dhrachth chapter 21 . 4/21/2014
Coincidentally, a couple hours before I found this fic I watched the episode of RK where Kenshin gets his replacement sword and thinks he killed Cho the Sword Hunter to protect a toddler before he realizes the sword he has in his hand is also a reverse blade sword and he didn't kill anyone. So when I read this chapter it struck me as particularly true to the character, since I was already thinking about Kenshin and his no kill promise and the way you wrote this scene is just the same as I was already thinking about it.

The handful of RK/HL crossovers I've read usually bug me because Kenshin has given up his vow to not kill. People continually trying to kill him is pretty much business as usual for Kenshin. Putting your life on the line for the sake of your ideals is basically the core of the series. And Kenshin's vow and belief that killing is always wrong is a big part of who he is. However, as much as he'll risk himself, he'd never put his ideals before the lives of others. So the way you have it happen really rang true to me. Kenshin will be devastated on his own behalf, but Tatsuya is more important.

I do want more context on Kenshin leaving his family. I know it's HL tradition for people to ditch their relatives after the first death for *reasons.* But, that was never really consistent in the series. You have to just let your current family think you're dead, but it's okay to fill in the odd mortal, like Tessa, later because you can't live your whole life alone...
I can't imagine the Kenshingumi not being overjoyed to have him back, regardless of the freaky coming back from the dead part. Of course if there were circumstances, like too many witnesses to his first death, that would make his going home impossible and more understandable.