Reviews for Dancing in the Shadows
FoxySonia chapter 8 . 3/12/2009
Wow, this is a fantastic chapter, excellent writing on V & C parts in this chapter. Love how you show in this chapter how Vincent desires Catherine. Good to see him allowing himself to desire her instead of his usual hiding of his emotions and behind his insecurities and fears. Finally he's moving forward, and he's finally acting more like a man in love than just her dear friend. So far this is the best one yet. Can't wait to read the rest to see what happens between them. The rest of the chapter is pretty much just like on the show.
FoxySonia chapter 7 . 3/12/2009
So far this is my favorite chapter. Love the end part where Vincent and Catherine are conversing while in the Chamber of the Falls. Great dialog, but too bad they didn't kiss.

Joe is great as usual (on all the chapters where he appears so far), and Diana is just the same as she is on the show.
FoxySonia chapter 6 . 3/12/2009
Really like that Vincent finally takes the initiative to kiss Catherine, even tho it's just a quick chaste kiss, and that he showed public affirmation of his love relationship with Catherine, by holding her hand and putting his arm around her in front of his tunnel friends and family. Too bad he didn't let her stay with him in his chamber, instead making her stay by herself in a guest chamber.
FoxySonia chapter 5 . 3/12/2009
What I would have changed on this chapter: How V & C conceived their child.

It seems very implausible to me that Vincent and Catherine had sex in the cave, while he was so weak and out of his mind, besides dirty, bloody, and sweety from his feverish illness and self inflicted wounds. Vincent would not be screwing his own true love and soul/bond-mate in filthy ripped clothes on a gravelly bed of dirt. It just seems very out of character to me that these two, who are so deeply in love, would consummate this two-year build-up with a quickie on a dark cave floor while he’s semi-insane, his heart about to give out, and where anyone could walk in on them at any moment. I think it more probable that it happened either during the time he spent in her apartment at the beginning of his illness, sometime when she was taking care of him while he was in her bed recuperating, maybe after he said to her, “Whatever happens, whatever comes, know that I love you” (not sure if that’s quoted correctly), before he returned Below and ended up going mad in the cave.

Or, better yet, after she brings him back from the brink of death with the strength of her love and he returned from the cave to his chamber to recuperate in his bed. She spent days at his bedside taking care of him while his mind was healing, so it could have happened and he not be able to remember it because the damage to his brain caused by his illness/fevers had not yet healed. I think I like this option better since I strongly believe that one of the top reasons why Vincent got sick was because of enormous strain on him from years of keeping himself in tight control, fighting against what he thought is his dark or beast side of his personality; represing his need, desire and passion for the woman he loves, and denying the physical manifestation of his love, caused him unbearable stress and mental and emotional suffering which contributed greatly to his illness. So, I think that if they had made love when he was in her apartment his illness wouldn’t have progressed and he would have improved instead of ending up in a mad state inside that dark cave ready to die. So it makes more sense to me that they made love after the illness and the cave, during his recuperation in his chamber. (Hope I made sense)

What do you think?
FoxySonia chapter 1 . 3/12/2009
Someone recommended this story on another site and since it's a BatB SND story I was happy to find it so I can read it and hopefully will enjoy it. I started reading it today and so far I'm on chapter 7. Seems pretty close to the series' episodes, except for minor changes you made so that Catherine lives instead of dying and is taken Below by Vincent. So far is good, except I wish Vincent would have shown more emotion before saying Goodbye to Catherine and leaving her for what he thought was the last time. (Like in a story titled 'A Sweet And Potent Voice' by Michelle Kempenich. In her story Vincent caress, hugs and kiss Catherine many times while weeping and sobbing for his lost true love, and it's unwilling to part with her or let her go.) Anyway, look forward to reading the rest of the story.
betazoid chapter 31 . 3/5/2009
I was very happy to find this site and read this story. I always felt that it was wrong to kill off Catherine and wondered what would have happened if she lived. Thanks for the wonderful story. I couldn't stop reading it. Vincent and Catherine are very special characters that will live forever on TV.
Jenna chapter 31 . 11/16/2008
I just got done re-reading my favorite BATB story again! I cannot get enough of it! You can live it again and again... I see you're not lacking for new fans either! I've enjoyed those comments too even though they are meant for you as the writer and not me. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who loves your work! You really have such talent! Which leads me to ask- are we going to have any new BATB stories from you soon? I'm dying to read more about your version of our favorite world!

Be well- Jenna
Daughter of Olorin chapter 31 . 11/15/2008
I appreciate a fresh view of being Below through Diana’s perspective. We’re so used to it as viewers of the show that we really don’t think about how it must look to an outsider. Very nice: “Diana looked at the tiny bundle nestled in Vincent's arms and remembered the first time she'd seen him—in a large and airy nursery where she'd shivered from a coldness that'd had nothing to do with temperature. How different it was in this candlelit chamber far beneath the city—a place where she should've been cold, and where, instead, she felt only a deep, abiding warmth.” I find it a little surprising that that you’ve not written their discussion of what to name the baby. I’ve been very aware that they never call him by a name throughout the entire fic or maybe that they are consciously avoiding calling him by a name, I assume, for fear that they may not have him back to name. Nice little characterization of Diana counting the stairs. Beautiful writing: “when they pushed them open, the darkness inside seemed to absorb all light, swallowing it deep within its monstrous maw. Even the flames of the torches strained toward the emptiness,” While I think Diana deserves all the thanks she’s receiving, I can see how overwhelming it could be. Great line: "You felt welcome because you are welcome," And of course, it goes without saying, the epilogue was beautiful! Perfect choice of attire for Catherine for the wedding. Btw, what of Diana and Joe, either together or separately? Given what you said in your review reply, I hope that you write the answer to that or any of the other things I brought up. Well, I can’t believe this is over! I loved every bit of it! I don’t know how to say it any other way but that I think you are a superb author and you weave an incredible tale. I hope very much that you write more BatB stories.
Daughter of Olorin chapter 30 . 11/15/2008
Beautiful: "That you could leave everything you know behind and start over again in a strange new world . . . Such a thing takes great courage." "No." She shook her head. "Only great love." This is a great line too: "I've learned there can be magic in the shadows." My stomach dropped when he said "I have . . . one more dream" b/c I knew, or at least hoped, what he would ask. I like that they don’t have helpers in the clerk’s office b/c then things are too convenient. It seems they’ve got helpers everywhere but, in all reality, something like this would crop up. BEAUTIFUL chapter! Loved it!
Daughter of Olorin chapter 29 . 11/13/2008
It’s gonna be tricky navigating the line between coming out of hiding and yet remaining Below. I’m interested in seeing how she’ll be able to walk that. I suppose if it’s along the lines of like the witness protection program but with her keeping her identity and only coming out of ‘hiding’ as necessary, yeah, that’ll work. It’s how to still see Jenny and her friends occasionally and still keep the secret and remain hidden that seems to be the hard part. Now, if she walks away and never sees any of them again, like she says to Joe, that’s a different story. I don’t want Diana to leave! I want her and Joe to hook up!
Daughter of Olorin chapter 28 . 11/13/2008
I adored the picture of Vincent holding the baby and Catherine at the same time—I teared up at that. Okay, so I cried throughout their reunion. Beautiful: ‘“I love you," she said, her voice cracking. "I love you so much." They were the only words she could find, and they were at the same time hopelessly inadequate and perfectly precise, summing up the wealth of emotion that swelled in her chest and clogged her throat. How could she begin to tell him how grateful she was to have him back? What words could express her happiness and wonder at their son's safe return? In the end, she could only repeat herself. "I love you."’ Great line: “And he got to you, somehow, because suddenly you went all James Bond on me.” I never thought about the fact that the tape used for the projections on the walls would still be there and still be available and have Vincent on it. That’s a serious hole that needs to be discussed. I had a feeling that the tape would ‘disappear.’ Loved this: “He'd just given tacit consent to an illegal act, making him an accomplice to a crime. A lot of crimes, if his suspicions were correct. And yet somehow he felt like he'd done the right thing. Justice was one confusing lady.” "You might speak with Cullen tomorrow," he said. "I think he could probably manage a door. . ."—LOL! I was thinking something along those lines the first time they made love. Very risky with the way those corridors are wide open. _
Daughter of Olorin chapter 27 . 11/11/2008
Catherine might have acquiesced too quickly to going down the pipe herself but Diana is probably better trained to do it anyhow. Still enjoying the interaction between Diana and Catherine. They complement each other well. I like this idea you have of “the Other” and how Vincent allows that part of him to do what he, in his true essence, cannot. Nice: “Gabriel's eyes were wide with shock, his mouth open and slack. He hadn't known that Catherine was alive, and he would go to his grave with the knowledge that he had failed. There was justice in that.” Absolutely: “It seemed fitting, somehow, that Catherine's gun would kill Gabriel and find its final resting place in the same river that had claimed Elliot Burch.”

Btw, I think you should write the story on Gabriel and Moreno. You might be surprised as to who would read it. If you do choose to write for yourself, go ahead and post it. I would like to read it.
Daughter of Olorin chapter 26 . 11/11/2008
Beautiful: “The distance separating him from his son seemed suddenly vast, the single stride required to bridge it the culmination of a lifetime of hopes and fears, dreams and possibilities.” Loved this too: “There were no doubts, no questions in his mind, as he stared down at the final, absolute proof of his humanity.” I wondered how Catherine was going to find Diana given the vastness of the city but it’s a brilliant idea having everyone connected with the tunnels on the lookout as well. I love the interaction between Diana, Catherine, and all the people Below. A well-written scene. “And he was starting to think the damned sandwich guy knew more about what went on in this city than he did.”—Well, maybe because he generally does. _ Great line.
Daughter of Olorin chapter 24 . 11/10/2008
Nice line: “His stride as he crossed the room to open the door made her think of a panther, or maybe a mountain lion—elegant, silent, and deadly.” At first, I was rather bothered that Vincent didn’t bother to tell Catherine about him leaving to confront Gabriel or at least tell her ‘goodbye.’ But then, I realized that I don’t think she would have let him go without her. No matter what he said or did, I believe she would have found a way to follow and he knows that. So, I definitely wasn’t surprised when she went to Joe to find Diana.

Btw, I think Catherine’s character is absolutely fine for what she’s been through. Lord, the woman was held captive for, what was it, six months, gave birth, had the baby taken away, then literally died and came back to life, almost died again, has probably been going through post-partum depression not to mention having her entire life turned upside down, and then dealing with her child missing. Yes, I would say she would be “weak” both physically and emotionally.
Daughter of Olorin chapter 22 . 11/10/2008
As a LOTR fan, I adored this line: “Only Tolkein could give a ring that much power.” This a great line after the waking dream: “And found himself alone in his chamber as the single candle flickered and went out.” Given this line, I find it rather interesting that the next task that Catherine takes on Below is candle-making—and that it’s a “very forgiving craft.” Finally, the “what happens next. . .” conversation. The way Catherine has slowly made her way into the underground community doesn’t surprise me that she wants to remain there and be a part of them. For over six months, anything that identified her was taken away and now she has a clean slate to either identify herself as being a part of Below or identifying herself with Above. When all that matters, though, is taken away, she finds out what actually mattered and what she thought mattered and that’s exactly what I see her saying and what I see in her decision. Now the tricky part is staying “dead” or revealing herself as being alive. Beautiful: “only to return almost immediately for a sensual opening bid in a mating ritual both as old as time and as new as possibility.” This was great writing too: “she stretched out her arms toward it, arching against him as her soul shattered into a million pieces that sparkled like diamonds in the candlelight.”

Thanks for all the review replies. I want to reply back to some of things in them, so I’ll get to them a little along the way. Btw, in regards to my surprise of Diana being in the fic, that was before I knew that you were sticking as close to canon as possible. Had I known that, I wouldn’t be surprised at all.
243 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »