Reviews for Not Our Family
Mystic Fairy Tame chapter 4 . 4/4
I like it. Gaz is truly messed up by normal peoples minds but to people like me who share the ussue you showed here it all makes sense. It was no wonder as a child I was never scared of her but always understood her. Along with Mandy from GAOBAM and Sam from DP. Both very very different and yet I was never scared of THEM. Strange. But it would make more sense then her just being scary. Sorry for connecting to personal but it's a habit
Great story. Have you ever wrote one where they find out, deal with it and grow up with it. I would adore to read something like that.

And her spinning. I wonder if all people with the same thing do something like that. To stay in control. I live in a rut fine with the fact I have control over it always being the same. I hate change
iLoveInvaderZim31 chapter 2 . 8/22/2014
gaz is autistic? woah that's quite a twist! i'm autistic and gaz never struck me as autistic. i can't wait to see what do you have dib as.
InvaderProfessorMembrane chapter 4 . 9/1/2013
Whoa! Awesome story! Poor Dibbers and Gazzy… I have Asperger's syndrome and ADD (And also Misophonia, but that's not the point)… anyway, VERY well written! *Applauds)
Athena Keating-Thomas chapter 4 . 10/24/2012
I love psychological stories like this one. Well written...
Shar're from Abydos chapter 4 . 12/20/2010
Aw... I like this. This is what a family should be like. Parent/s that care for their kids, no matter what. - wipes happy tears off face -
irkeninvaderdiz chapter 1 . 9/8/2010
i talked to my mom and she said autistic can get much worse. so im sorry bout that other reveiw
irkeninvaderdiz chapter 2 . 9/7/2010
ok now THATS an insult. i am autistic. and i do NOT go crazy and jump and scream and flail my arm and no spining around the room and i can remember things like faces and i do not get scared around ppl and i am most definetly not like gaz or dib
Dirge for the Dead chapter 4 . 8/6/2010
Awwwww... That's all I have to say.

I think you wrote this very well; my sister is autistic. It's very cute and nicely written, as well.

You know, there's a reason as to why you're my favorite author on this site...
Maran Zelde chapter 2 . 8/27/2009
This is interesting. I wouldn't have thought Gaz was autistic. I have an autistic cousin, and he's a lot more rambunctious and less aggressive than Gaz. But he was diagnosed when he was two or three and receives a lot of love and attention. Maybe if he was neglected like Gaz he would be more aggressive. My cousin also likes touching and tasting things (that aren't food). It's how he likes to experience the world. I think Gaz have very mild autism, otherwise her teachers (or at least fans of the show) would have noticed years ago. It's hard NOT to notice that my cousin has special needs.
She Who Burninates chapter 4 . 5/5/2008
I really enjoyed this story. The title and the summary are the most spot-on thing ever: when my mother was taken to a mental hospital, I thought "This is not a thing that happens in our family. It just isn't." When I found a bottle full of her anti-depressants: the same thought. When I found the prescription from her doctor, when I first saw that one red triangle on her med bottle (in Sweden, it means "This medicine is dangerous combined with alcohol) and that empty bag-in-a-box, etc etc.

...Yes. I really feel for Professor Membrane, since I know how it feels to have a mentally ill person in the family.

PLUG ALERT. MAY CONTAIN SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION.

So yes, if you read my JTHM fanfic, you might find that Gengi's past isn't just made up. Gengi is me, a more concentrated, boiled-down-to-the-essence me.
Dibsthe1 chapter 3 . 4/5/2008
It's about time someone besides me took Gaz to a shrink. Autism, what in the name of Sigmund Freud else could explain such endless fascination with beeping boxes and such grotesque savagery? Extremely good move to have Dib frantically organize everything when he did; he needed to restore some feeling of control after being viciously SLAPPED right out of nowhere.

I'm a lot more surprised that OCD is ALL Dib has, considering this living hell he's trapped in: "It only looks like she's beating him." Mm hmm... and I bet from Dib's point of view it FEELS a lot like she's beating him too...

And then even after all that SLAPPING, all it has to do is snap a finger and he instantly drops what he's doing to run and coddle and cuddle and snoogle and snoggle it? This is more frustrating, not less. Dib's biggest problem isn't OCD or anything else, it's taking one step closer to that instead of keeping away from it, FAR away. His heart is the only thing he has left to melt; his brain melted long ago.
b1oom chapter 4 . 3/8/2008
Brilliance! I think you've diagnosed them very well. Your writing is great, never too frilly, always well paced, just enough details. Good, clear narration.

I especially like some of the imagery here. The concept is awesome. Makes you think...

Love,

Francesca L.
otherrealmwriter chapter 4 . 2/2/2008
Very interesting. I could see Membrane acting like that if he found out his kids were autistic or anything like that as he thinks he's the greatest ever.
InsomniaticFrenchToast chapter 4 . 12/1/2007
Wow I love this! Its so...wow. I can't describe it, this only makes me want to go into psychology even more! I love how you portrayed them all. Excellent work!
Jinnai chapter 4 . 9/23/2007
An interesting and believable read. Thanks for writing it.