Reviews for Burden
EternallyPivots chapter 1 . 5/7/2012
Kitten Kisses chapter 1 . 4/4/2012
This has to be one of the best Remus and Tonks-centric fics on this site, yet you have only three reviews. I think the summary must not draw people in, though it did draw me in, and I'm not easily drawn in, so...who knows, really?

Anyway, this was a great story, which I already said, but let me say it one more time in case you are confused: This story was wonderful.

So many people paint Remus as a steady soul, but his life has been so...well, bad, comparatively speaking, that we know he can't honestly feel he is a steady person, himself. Compared to most members of the Order he is one of the steadier ones, and he's been around a long while. But at the end of the day, I think you've got him nailed pretty well in this story. How he moves from one burden to another, how piecing back Sirius is painful and hurts him a lot. So many people paint Sirius wrong too, and I find it increasingly frustrating, because the man spent years in a creeptastic prison, it's not as if he's going to come out of that...normal. It's clear he's not exactly the same person he was as a teenager, or even as a young adult when he went to prison.

So the way you wrote him here, the way you wrote everyone, was just perfect. How Molly falls apart a bit, because Molly knows what death is, she's already lost enough, she can't imagine losing more, losing her kids, losing people she loves, it's too much for her to be able to think about. The way she manages to be A Mother but still be Herself is done very well here.

Sirius's sullenness, his replacement of James and Harry in his mind, Sirius's own little reality, that was well done and very believable. In fact, it hits closer to the Sirius that I know and read about than any other portrayal of him in OotP-era fic that I've found.

The way Arthur just kind of quietly supports in the background, how Mundungus isn't hateable but isn't likable here; he just is. How Bill just sorta leaves, doesn't say much, just squeezes Tonks's shoulder.

And of course, how Tonks just sits there in the background, not really saying anything (because she's not really a part of it, doesn't really know Harry or Sirius or anyone very well, yet) but still very much there. I love how you wrote her because people forget she's not always going to be a happy-go-lucky bright-colours girl, and that sometimes a person can't deal with that kind of a thing so easily, so smoothly.

I mean, this is war they're talking about, and especially after Arthur's run-in in the Ministry, It Means Business. It's not a silly game and I think the adults know it all too well, especially Molly and Remus and Tonks (and Kingsley and others who have already lived through a war), but Sirius isn't really quite there on a mental level and I'm afraid the entire pressing situation would be difficult to deal with for any of them. Even Tonks, who is young and rather vivacious by normal standards.

That said, I liked that while Remus was trying to patch up Sirius, he forgot that Tonks was there. I'm not sure why I like that line, but I think that I do partially because it's realistic (as in, when you are focused on one person, you can forget someone else is there, no matter how much you love them or care about them or even if you hate them) and also because it just makes sense.

Remus's dividing of attention is really well-done and the way Tonks just accepts it because It's How Things Are is just really great. Also great? The weird little tinge of jealousy he feels when Bill touches her. Silly but fairly normal, I think.

Anyway, wonderful job on this one. You should be proud of it. :)

Cheers,

Manna
metawolfagus chapter 1 . 9/4/2007
worthy of far more than two reviews i'd say so's here's #3!

very sweet.

excrutiatingly believable, and not just tonks and lupin. sirius really stood out for me in this because you managed to show how worldweary he actually is... the book didn't even do that entirely.

3 or 4 thumbs up, depending upon how many drinks you've had ;)
mrscribble chapter 1 . 9/3/2007
This was lovely! Remus' reaction to Sirius' behaviour and the emotions he felt were particularly on target, and your characters were colourful and very canon. This is going on my favourites, you did a wonderful job :)
ishandtwofourths chapter 1 . 9/3/2007
*wistfully sighs*

oh, this was lovely. you seem to have such a good grasp on remus here, another job well done.