Reviews for Different
DigimonTamersFan chapter 1 . 6/22/2009
nice story.

about that moment...well, I'm kinda shy at school, meaning i don't talk to people, but they talk to me. that's the way it's been since kindergarden. I've never been in a fight mainly because they are scared of me. well me being near six foot and weigh near 300 lbs and most of it muscle, wouldn't u be scared too?
Itachi's aprentice chapter 1 . 9/15/2008
First off great work, i really liked the dramatization of Videl, Secondly with having your head smashed into your Locker.

My junior/High school experince was in the 7 grade, My Aunt who is a teacher there arrange for her son and myself to be in the same class(On a side note my cousing and me look like twins.) A week later I was sitting besides my cousin and my classment come up to me and say's "your in my seat" and I replied "The sitting arrangements are first com first serve" (I said it in Spanish since if my natal language) and he leans over the desk and say's again your in my seat( He was trying too intimidate me since he was 16 and bigger then me and let me tell you it was working but I didn't let it show)"I am not afraid off you or anybody else in this class." In the end we fought on the stairwell of the third floor, some thing I will always remember is this 'husky' girl taking him off me and ending the fight.
Ms. Videl Son chapter 1 . 3/5/2008
I like the concept of this story...how Videl initially liked Gohan not because of the things they had in common, but the lack of anything that they had in common with the general teenage population. It was also very relatable to me (who hung out with the "weird, goth anime people" for lack of any other defining clicque in HS), so I also found that an enjoyable element, too.

As for my story...hmm...I dunno, really. There was a bit of drama with my so-called friends in Junior year, but my HS days went by otherwise uneventful. I got myself engaged at 15 to a man 7 years my senior, though (met him on too)...does that count? If not, sorry for being so lame and boring ;

. ( . Ms Videl Son . ) .

- Who's your daddy? GohanVidel
dbz-lover91 chapter 1 . 2/15/2008
Hi,

Thought I'd check out any fics that I'd neglected to read.

Again, 'pseudo-angst' or works that can be categorised under 'drama' (in its entirety), I have a natural aversion to.(Damn my pre-disposition to bawling like a baby at things that explore morose topics!LOL)

I liked it, although I don't understand why some kid would randomly call Videl 'ugly'. I guess, like you said, he was just some 'snot-nosed' brat...

Whoa, I don't usually talk about the plight of high school that is my life but, well since you so kindly asked...

Man, this is going to take some painful reminiscing.

I've always thought that I was different as well.

I think I perplex boys because I (and I truly don't know why)but looking at me you might think that I'm open to (gross)advances and when they try and get burned (I'm also quite religious), they...well, I guess they don't like it.(LOL)

I guess that's quite a harsh way to over-turn someone's expectations.

Actually, and this might sound REALLY stupid, but the majority of boys that 'like' me *shudders because most of them are gross*sort of pick on me sometimes to show that they don't.

I know. So 'Hey Arnold' but that's teenage boys for you.

Why the *swear word* would some horrible girl smash your head in to a locker? THAT'S MESSED UP! You should have *swear word* slapped her right back or at least reported her! I don't care what anyone says, it is not the 'wrong' thing to do when you complain to an authoritive figure in an establishment if you are being forced to bear the brunt of unruly and aggressive should have to deal with that sort of crap and be expected to grit their teeth and smile like it doesn't hurt!

If it's wrong to complain, then I don't wanna be right.

I'm sorry but anti-social behaviour like that tickes me off.

What was she, autistic or something?

Alright, I'll tell you something else: There ws this girl I knew called 'Suraiya', who wasn't *ehem* what you would call very 'good'-looking... I really hesitate to say things like that because I NEVER (I balk at those who do) judge people by their out-ward appearances. I think that is narrow-mindedness to a whole other spectrum of stupidity! Anyway, she was really funny and confident and I really liked her (as a friend, mind you!LOL). I used to defend her if anybody insulted her. They would call her 'Lilo' (from 'Lilo and stitch').

Then there was this really bitchy hallabaloo where somebody framed me by pretending to be me and sending derrogatory emails to other students, some of which pertained to some of the 'popular' girls in school (The kind you DON'T want to mess with). They (the impersonator) started making crass comments to the general effect that I was a lesbian and other rubbish. To this day, I haven't confronted her about it but I know that Suraiya was the person who framed me.

Yeah, after the pains I took to defend her and be a good friend in general.

I put it down to jealousy which sucks because she had a very attractive personality (but I guess there was an 'uglier' side to her all along)

Anyway, I've related my little saga to you.

Again, I hope you recover completely from that car-crash!

Kindest of regards and take care,

dbz-lover91
Lucesco chapter 1 . 1/11/2008
At first I thought this was about that idea you had in your mind. About Gohan and Videl choosing not to go to prom. But I like this idea a lot too. I can so relate to it, it's like a universal problem all teenagers have I think. Being different, or feeling that you're different and therefore not understood. I know I had it, and still have sometimes, a bit insecure about myself because I'm perhaps not like other people. But then, I don't want to be mediocre. Have the opposite thing with my looks though. I think I look so ordinary, I'd like to be a bit more eyecatching sometimes, instead of being so plain... But that's way besides the point.

I think you portrayed Videl very well. Perhaps a bit OOC, because she is very confident and I doubt she wants to be like Erasa or Sharpener. But then again she is a teenager and I think every teenager copes with 'fitting in' and 'acceptence' and all the like. Writing was superb again, have no complaints about that at all. It read quite pleasantly.

Very lovely )

I'm sorry someone smashed your head into a locker. Don't understand why people do that. If you don't like someone, at least treat him or with respect, instead of doing the thing that girl did to you. They hated you for being different? Why is being different always considered a negative thing? People seriously need to lay back and broaden their horizon, instead of being stuck in their own narrow-mindedness. Though you do have guts for kissing that boy like that.

Now my experience. Just gotta tell this, vent my frustrations about people. It happened about a month or two ago. I had to do a discussion for my dutch orals and I was paired with the most popular girl in class. My initial reaction was... 'ugh, why me'... but I decided to make the best of it. I knew she wasn't exactly the nicest person, but I tried to forget that and treat her as any other person. And to my surprise we got on quite well. She was actually nice. We did the preparation for the discussion together, and eventually we got a high grade at our orals. I thought that I had made a new friend, cause she genuinely seemed to like me. But then I had a presentation in front of class a few days later. And as I started the presentation, I saw that the girl I had been working with for my orals was immitating my movements and my voice and was laughing at me with her clique. I couldn't concentrate with them laughing so my confidence sank to the ground. I was a bit hurt actually. Thought she was nice. They only stopped when I told them to either shut up or leave the room. They stopped, but they were still grinning, especially that girl. Ugh. Ah well, it taught me that people who are nice to you don't always like you. And that people like that girl need their friends in order to be what they want to be. Kind of pathetic, but if they're happy with themselves then...

Okay, here ends my booksized review. Again, lovely story and I really hope you come back to the DBZ fandom. Lol, damn am I begging now? Whatever you call it, I do mean it.
Missed Nin chapter 1 . 12/26/2007
Heya! I think I meant to email you some time, um, several months ago, but never got round to it. Oops, I'm sorry, and I apologise. My attention was kind of diverted by various things, most prominently that I've applied to university, so I had go on visits, write sample essays about things and go to an interview at one place. This involved me figuring out scary things like how to get from A to B and back... which twice ended up involving lots of different trains and buses, which once ended up with me being late to arrive because of my inability to follow directions... But, well, I got there in the end. And I got a lift to the third place I had to visit, so that was okay.

Anyway, I've now finished sorting all that kind of stuff out, so I've been having a great time over my christmas holiday, and I've gotten mah lovely Go/Vi fanfic updated! Yay for me!

Um, well, this was meant to be a review. Sorry. I did actually have loads of stuff to say, but I forgot it because I decided the first thing I should do was apologise for my non-correspondence with you :s

Well, I like the theme of this - exploring Videl's social inbetween-ness. The travel from one side of the 'gender pool' (as you say) to the other and to inbetween works nicely, and I love the line "A part of her was baffled. When had this come into play?" It works nicely: puts a time-scale into the fic, and at the same time shows Videl's personality and social ... outsider-ness, if you know what I mean. And most of us must have noticed that...

I like how you have Erasa and Sharpner in there - it quite neatly gives examples of each gender, and it keeps canon in play, which can be hard with a reflective oneshot like that. But - Sharpner and tea shops?

"Okay…so she wasn’t really like one of the girls’…" that has too much ellipsis in even for that kind of uncertain statement. And [girls'] shouldn't have an apostrophe. You put one there at other points, as well, and it's kind of incorrect unless you're saying she belongs to the girls. (For reference, it's the line about her being baffled, and it's: " since the girls’ all had sleepovers, and the boys’ all played football")

I empathise with her worrying about socialising and being bored, and I empathise with you too :) It's a worry that most guests to ff net have from time to time, I imagine, though I do know one writer here who's married with kids. Which is a scary thought for me...

Her line about Gohan having 'no social skills whatsoever' made me laugh literally out loud. Amazing! :D

"So they were both different.

And that… that was good."

Was a great way to end it. Really poignant, really very heart-felt and just NICE! So well done!

Someone once smashed your head into a locker? Oh my god, I sympathise. (I wrote something else, but it sounded stupid. I'll just put 'I sympathise', which you can take as my way of hugging you over the internet!) But, um, a memory of school that I'll never forget... The funniest thing that I'll remember is probably the one time I skived a lesson, and then walked back up with my friend ... straight into my head teacher. The most traumatic thing that happened... would be the time someone set part of my hair on fire with a cigarette lighter. I didn't get hurt, but several inches of hair were lost. And our teacher just stood at the front of the class and didn't actually react, so I ended up swearing at her and demanding she do something about it, while she... didn't. And a year later the boy who burnt my hair was on that Brat Camp program about trying to reform severely dysfunctional kids.

Uh, yeah. Well, that's my claim to fame... Lol. Good fic, anyway!

~MN
VRavage chapter 1 . 11/4/2007
Very nice. 8 out of 10
SamuraiGirl7 chapter 1 . 9/10/2007
Well first of all, this was a very interesting take on Videl's personality. I liked it.

Second, I suppose I don't really have too many school stories to tell. I went to a very small private school for the majority of my life and over all one could classify it as a "boring" experience. I didn't experience the typical high school setting and thus didn't have people slamming my head into lockers. I suppose I was looked up to by the younger classmen and somewhat of a roll model, or so I am told. I was class Treasurer, Vice President and President each for a duration of one year. So yeah, nothing really interesting I guess. There was one time where I literally threw one of my friends into a wall to stop a fight. I'll never forget that. _

Pretty boring I suppose.
Shiva the Sarcastic chapter 1 . 9/5/2007
Great story. Very intriguing. Great premise and wonderful conventions. I'm wondering why they beat you up for your religion. That's horrible. I'm not a religious person, but it's still jot right. What religion are you? Anyway, write another Goahn/Videl story soon.
Jazzy Uchiha chapter 1 . 9/5/2007
i liked
miss-apple-dbz chapter 1 . 9/5/2007
Oh, I can totally relate to Videl. When I first came to Canada, it was really hard for me to make friends because I couldn't speak too much English. And quite a few people made fun of me when I couldn't get the right pronunciations. I guess my situation is a little simpler than hers, though. I think you did a great job of describing what Videl felt during her school days. And it was very understandable that she would feel a little like an outcast around normal people who never understood her. Good thing Gohan came along!
Warrior from beyond chapter 1 . 9/5/2007
that was a good story, both of them. i know how Videl feels in this story.
sadal suud chapter 1 . 9/5/2007
Oh my gosh! I haven't read a DBZ fic in so dang long! I remember when I first got to all I ever read was Gohan/Videl stories, 24/7! Hahaha... wow.

It's refreshing to go back to my roots so many years later and actually read a GOOD fic. It's cool to see how Videl doesn't feel like she belongs, but you also can see that she's not a total outcast from society because her friends keep inviting her back for more. Like, she's a nice kid, but, yeah, a little different.

Perfect!
AvaLuna chapter 1 . 9/4/2007
Aw so cute. Just what I needed )

School Story: I go to a small magnet school(aka: mini college). ( 750 students, ver small compare to the school across the street, 50 students) so we don't have many of the cool stuff that the big schools like school shirts. Recently I noticed that the teacher had school shirt. I was physiced, unfortently, the shirts were only for the teachers, so I was very sad... So I told him if he could make shirt for the student too, I would love to buy a shirt. He liked the idea, and today he told me that he had gotten them approved and they has order 150 more shirt. He said it was all thanks to me D I feel so proud!

And about your school thing: aw, people are such haters. Im glad I found the school I go to, we're all from different background and relegions but with the passion to learn. :D

Ava
Noryale chapter 1 . 9/4/2007
I can see myself on that as well... I've always been tomboyish, with the difference that I'm still one of the guys, lol.

Me and my hub are both 'different', we met in highschool and both of us couldn't just understand what the other guys called fun. We rather locke ourselves in the room and watch anime and play videogames, lol.

About stories... well I guess I'll share this one:

my first year in 5th grade... I was 10 yrs old, a much older 15 yrs old guy grope my bum (most of the boys were very naughty to girls at that time), but instead of doing what other girls always did... run and tell the teacher. As soon as I felt his hand on my ass I punched him, broke one of his front tooth and cut my knuckle badly. LOL. *shows scar around proudly*

Conclusion: I had to peel potatoes for one week and stay over school hours doing chores, the mother of the boy threatened me for a month (but my mom always stood up proudly for me as well)... but afterall it was worth it, not me or any other of the girls got their bums smacked until the end of our 5th year!

That event gave me quite a reputation in school... and not soon later, with all the DBZ fever, they (as friends and even teachers... we often skipped classes with teachers to watch dbz - and saint seiya as well, but not as frequent) started calling me Videl ~_~, a nick that I'm still being called after all this years. Vi for short, lol.

So I guess that's it for now... I'll be mailing you soon :P