Reviews for The Name of the Game
borgmama1of5 chapter 7 . 7/26
This was a very scary monster-the human kind, which are the most terrifying! Again, you have an excellent grasp of what Sam and Dean mean to each other-Dean's conflicted desire to end Mahoney and Mahoney's final thoughts on how Dean needs Sam to look up to him was spot on for that period in the show.

But man, you were brutal to poor Sammy!
waitingforAslan chapter 7 . 6/17
Enjoyed your story! Love Dean fiercely protecting his brother.
Salishaventura chapter 7 . 12/17/2017
Nicely written story. I loved that the amulet was involved. So glad to have found your stories. I'm excited to read the rest of them. Thanks for writing!
bingos-gal chapter 7 . 10/27/2017
Terrific story!

Held my interest, couldn't stop reading it!

Thank you!
hunenka chapter 7 . 12/30/2016
This was an awesome fic, I had such a great time reading it. I'm a big fan of badass, protective big brother Dean, and this story was deliciously full of that :) Thank you!
CindyT63 chapter 7 . 2/12/2016
This story is now a favorite. I loved the plot, the characterizations, the balance of Winchester strength with Winchester self doubt. I know you wrote it many years ago, but if you'd change "ex-Marine" to "former Marine," it would be perfect. LOVED the Dean and Mrs. Vu story too. Well done! !
BlueJude chapter 7 . 10/31/2015
Seriously LOVED this story. I love when the scariest monsters are human! It makes it much scarier in my opinion. Also, awesome characterization of Sam and Dean. Thanks for the read!
Melissa chapter 7 . 8/17/2015
This was such an amazing story! Absolutely loved it! Your writing is top notch. Keep it up friend! (FYI, I was raised in New Hampshire, so I definitely appreciated the setting. We just might be kindred spirits. ;-) )
ReginaLo chapter 7 . 8/23/2014
Oh my God! That story was amazing! Very well done and structured. Flawless. I'm impressed and so happy to have read your master-piece.
Bravo!
Steffi Hoffman chapter 7 . 5/12/2012
I just wanted to say that I adored this fic!

I'm always a sucker for the story of one brother/friend getting used to get something from the other. It always makes for some fabulous bromance moments.

Wow. Your fic ended with so many things unresolved, but in a good way. It keeps me wondering and thinking about things. What is the secret of the amulet? Who could have told Maloney about everything? How can the brothers love each other so darn much and know each other so well, and not realize that both are still keeping secrets from each other? It drives me crazy, but, again, in a good way :)

I love the whole scenario that you set up. The pacing of the plot was perfect, and I liked the subtle switches in point of view. They were very well done. Overall, this fic had me hooked from beginning to end, and if it were a book, I couldn't put it down.

One thing I don't understand though: Dean has killed people for Sam before. Probably even for less than what Maloney did to him. So why is it such a big deal now? I'm probably reading too much into things, aren't I? :)

I also loved how you brought the whole Bloody Mary thing back. I always wondered why Dean's eyes bled. I haven't seen a whole lot of the show (I know the biggest stuff that happens in each season, but that's about it), so I don't know if they covered it in an episode or not. I wish they would...

Thanks for such a great read!
CeCe Away chapter 7 . 10/16/2010
This was an awesome story. Really. I'm so glad you found mine so I could find my way over here. You're a talented writer.
buckykinz chapter 7 . 7/30/2010
Wow, so I got a lot of enjoyment out of this story. For one thing, it was incredibly well written, had some great characters, AND kept me on the edge of my seat until the end! And for another, it was set in New Hampshire, which is where I'm from! One of my favorite parts was Dean pondering the fact that you can find good old boys in this state - that, and the various mentions of the accent that comes with the area. But, that aside, you did a really awesome job with this - the boys were in character perfectly the whole time, which isn't an easy thing to manage, and I think you caught some of the finer points of their relationship. Amazing stuff!
Hunnique chapter 7 . 5/22/2010
Hello, Linnie,

This could be published as a novel. Well plotted, characterized and always interesting. I am really REALLY impressed!

Thanks for sharing.
amyblair chapter 7 . 8/27/2009
At risk of sounding like a stalker fan, let me just say, this? Was pretty damn impressive. I was hooked and enjoyed every single word. Thanks for that.

I liked how Sam struggled to keep last night's dinner to himself - it had tasted bad enough the first time.

"What do you want?" The old man grasping Sam's hair and pawing his throat and holding really more strength and malice in those moments as just a regular old man vs any crap that battle was nail-biting. You played Mahoney so well. Feeble, but desperate which meant deadly. Nice!

I adored how when Dean would try to shower, he would keep thinking he was hearing Sam come back so he had to abandon the spray. I think we can all relate to that.

The portion where Bobby says, "Dean, you be smart." Reminded my of Bobby in 'Levee' when he tries to tell Dean to be gentle with Sam. Way to go!

I laughed at Sam thinking he'd tried everything - even training tiny white mice to carry messages. And the Jeopardy! Great! Oh, and the "you could have ordered one off of ebay." Lots of people have!

I also thought it was interesting that you had written about how all three of the Winchester men had hurt Jo in one way or another. I had never thought about that like that before. She's supposedly coming back this season. We'll have to see how that plays out.

Oh, and Clete and Grady were great good old boy names.

Loved Mr. Vu and Loved the onions and I Loved that she spoke English the whole time!

I like all the calls to the name of the title. What game they were playing, playing a game he could not name, effed-up kind of game this was, this was a game they'd played for years. I also liked all the darkness. Sam falling into darkness, Dean falling, the growing darkness. It was a nice effect.

I felt like when Mahoney finally had the amulet and was stroking it and whispering to it that he might actually shriek out "PRECIOUS!" I also loved how when Dean asks Mahoney if he knows how to load a gun, he answers "Yes."

When Carson slams back into the cellar and shouts, "You better hope you die fast!" Oh. My. God. I about lost my breath.

Loved the Rejuvenate. Reanimate. Restore.

Oh, and I love the word Bushwhacked. It always reminds me of 'O' Brother Where Art Thou'. It worked so well here.

"You couldn't get us all." Kinda reminded my of 'Stand by Me' when Ace says, "What're you gonna do? Shoot us all?" and Gordy kicks the hammer back and replies, "No, Ace. Just you." Again, worked really, really well here!

It was an interesting hit taking on the amulet, from what I can tell, before you knew that Sam gave it to Dean. I love that you put such a 'sentimental' value on it without ever knowing. You never say where it comes from and that had to be difficult.

So, so amazing! Again, thanks - just awesome work!
supernaturalsammy67 chapter 7 . 2/25/2009
OMG! this was absoloutley awesome!

i loved this fic hun

the detail, the hunt- the description!

how perfect you wrote the brothers and the sheer genious of it all!

i LOVED this fic hun

thanks so much for sharing!

this was incredable! x