Reviews for The Name of the Game
annie200 chapter 7 . 2/3/2009
The downside of this being such an outstanding story is that I have rushed through the last 4 chapters without stopping to review anything.

Quite apart from the meticulous planning of the plot your descriptions of scenery and place are vivid and your baddies are totally believable. But most of all this entire tale was permeated with Dean's desperate love for his brother and his desire to rescue him.

As for Mahoney's words to him about Sam? Ouch..and of course Dean is always ready to believe the worst of himself and the best of his brother, so Dean's low self-esteem rang true as well.
annie200 chapter 2 . 2/3/2009
This is fantastic! I was so tense I forgot to breathe out, and Dean's post-Cold Oak desperation is almost palpable. Loved how Sam boasted that his big bro would save him, too!
bhoney chapter 1 . 1/29/2009
"That’s a first, he thought dryly—maybe his luck was changing for the better. Now that would be something really supernatural, wouldn’t it?" Love the irony there.

Liked how Sam and Dean's thoughts were similar in some places.

LOVED this: "Except that it still wasn’t oriented correctly, because true north wasn’t answering his calls."

Hm...whatever this Mahoney wants with Sam, it can't be good. Even worse, he's got a veritable army to do his dirty work. And a basement with shackles in it? That can't be good! AND they've got the Impala!

Poor Dean-brother and car both gone. That's pretty much his worst nightmare.
LupeLei chapter 7 . 7/19/2008
Wow, what a treat! That was a great story! Thanks for the Winchester fix, it makes waiting for the new season much more bearable.
apieceofcake chapter 7 . 6/26/2008
Enjoyed it, thank you :-)
carocali chapter 7 . 4/20/2008
Nice crack at season 3 before it aired! You hit some very poignant issues here and I love your attempt at the amulet (which MAY still be true!). It's funny how they can each of the boys can justify lying to each other when they 'think' they're protecting one another. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the season unfolds as more of the secrets are revealed.

I love both the brothers, but I have to admit I lean more to the Sam angle. What I LOVE is that you gave Dean a brain! While we all know he can be a lovable oaf who has the street smarts of the wisest of gang members (tongue firmly in cheek), he is knowledgable in so many other aspects. "You see, I can read people" is one of my favorite lines of the series this season. It was as if you were channeling that train of thought as the last of the cronies (ex-Marine) finally gave in to Dean's line of thinking; using the 'leave no man behind' aspect of a good soldier. Lots of planning and skill on Dean's part to make everything right again - at least in Winchester logic.

You really have a fantastic vocabulary and a vivid descriptive nature about your writing. I also really love an author who takes time to research what they are trying to write to make it more believable (or, you're just really that smart - which I buy as well).

Thanks for sharing!

Maz101 chapter 7 . 4/13/2008
Just read this in one go - it's great. You write the action well, describing a fight is hard and you managed it - very pacy and very visual!And your cast of villains were thorough and well drawn. Most of all though I liked your twist - that the mad old buffer actually knew Dean so well that he could taunt him with his fear of how Sam sees him and then that he KNEW he'd come back to attempt to save him - just can't deny his instincts! Clever! So much more than a straight forward hurt/rescue fic.
Tari Roo chapter 7 . 11/13/2007
I read a lot of fanfiction - too much probably than is healthy at times, so I know what I like, and can be a little overly critical at times.

This is not one of those times.

This fic, this little piece of pure heaven was bloody brilliant! I devoured it. I inhaled it. I lapped it up. Wow!

Perfect pace, wonderful leaps and then dialogue-filling backstory and just awesome characterisation and plot. Truly. I really, really, hope you have another multi-chap fic in the works, because I just about despaired when I you had only 5 (5!) spn stories posted.

And now we do the dance of joy and rush off to read the remaining four.

Thanks for a wonderful read.
pdragon76 chapter 7 . 10/27/2007
Well, ms linnie. I has reached the end. Thank you for a wonderful Saturday afternoon spent with the boys. You know I is a Dean girl and you have some fabtabulous Deanspeak in this story, especially when he is dealing with the security guys. You have no doubt blown the panties off all the Sam girls with your whumpage. Please to be whumping Dean next? You should be very proud of this linnie. I'm sure you are. These multichaps, they is KILLER.

Some favourites from the back half...

...The kid looked like hell, clothes wet through, dark shadows under his eyes, but damned if he didn't have their complete and utter attention... oh jesus, linnie. this has mine. lol.

...Dean met Sam’s gaze squarely, chin lifted. “I didn’t do it, Sammy. I did not set that fire. Mahoney was alive when I left.”

After a moment, Sam nodded. "Okay. And Carson?”

“I didn’t set the fire, Sam,” Dean repeated firmly, and Sam got the message.

He sank back onto his pillow, mind racing, watching his brother carefully.

Dean leafed casually through the sports section, patently pretending that Sam didn’t exist... oh boys. *ng*

..."Maybe you are, Dean, but I don't want you to have earned the trip!"... neither do I, Dean. But I has a feeling you is going to flirt with it this season...*sighs*

...Hey,” he said, frown melting into his very best winsome smile when she turned to him. Shapely and pretty in just the right combination, he thought. “Let me help you with that. You going my way?”

In fact, she was... perfect, perfect, perfect Dean ending.

Bravo Ms Linnie. Can't wait for the next.
mirandler43 chapter 7 . 10/7/2007
Holy hell, woman. You ended this perfectly. Damn.

Your Dean felt very Dean in this chapter. I enjoyed him a lot. And I meant to say last chapter that the whole fight scene was very well executed. You described a lot, but not so much that it slowed down the progression of the scene. It was done just right. :)

God, your ending was so Winchester.
mirandler43 chapter 6 . 10/7/2007
Aww, Mrs. Vu!

Will have more to say next chapter! Oh, and I forgot to tell you: KandKL and I stopped at this little diner in a little town where 1/4lb. burgers were $2.50 a pop, and I ordered extra onions. :D
pdragon76 chapter 2 . 10/7/2007
Yays, chapter two down. Yes, I was BRAVE today. *hugs your Dean* Favorite bits:

'..and Dean might have punched something a little bit. Just a wall, though. Didn't even leave much of a mark.' ...Dean you big tough guy *flails*

'...this sure as hell wasn't the time for laundry.' *snort*

'...for a moment Dean couldn't think of what to say..."I'm at the motel and uh, you aren't."' ...*smacks lips against Dean's hair above the ear* I love you, baby. So much.

'...'cause I don't know what the hell.' is with the Dean dialogue and the down and the pat.

Again, yays. I is all intrigued...
Sera and Tails chapter 7 . 10/4/2007
SO Finally FINALLY we get to read&review TNOTG. So sorry for the wait, but we wanted to read it together (or rather, Tails promised to be very mean if I read it before she got the chance to)

"Gullah patois" Love it for reasons we can't say. (and also for the fact that you even know what 'patois' is *grins*)

Okay, so Mahoney naked? EW. Ever seen the episode of the Simpsons where Marge paints Mr. Burns naked? That's all we could think of. LOL So now Mahoney, has turned from Police Academy to Mr. Burns.

What to say about the death... I still feel that Dean wouldn't have gone back to save Mahoney (ala the Myron murder), though Tails argues that Dean couldn't be so cruel as to leave him there with the Crusker (which, BTW is a word, I found I like to say. *enunciates* 'Crusker') So obviously we're not on the same page with Dean's decision but regardless, you wrote it well.

Tails loves you for using the word 'ululant,'and having Dean say 'assuaging.' :D To quote her: "Imagine Jensen's lips saying 'assuaging.' Seriously."

I loved the whole convo at the end, because it analyzes the question I proposed in the forum about what Sam would think of Dean if he committed murder. I think you wrote his reaction beautifully (LOVED the 'avenging angel' part) and it read just like an episode, it fit so well.

Also loved: "When he spoke, watching Dean earnestly, Dean saw not the man, the warrior that Sam had become, but the little boy he’d once been, innocent, guileless and pure."

"Dean sniffed, keeping his eyes on Sam’s face, knowing exactly what he had to do and say to put Sam’s mind at ease. This was a game they’d played for years, Sammy asking the tough questions, depending on his big brother to tell him the truth, Dean never wanting to lie.

Long practice had taught him how to win, but Dean had never wanted to lie."

And so we're making Ash into the 'Lex Luthor' figure, huh? (LOL remember that?) It's great how you've stuck the theories in there (Is Ash alive? the Amulet?) but answer nothing. And look, I said that without a trace of sarcasm! Really! We did like that approach quite a bit and you did it in a way that didn't cop out.

My only concrit would be that Sam cries way too much in this story, but Tails defends you by pointing and singing to me "You would cry too if it happened to you." *eyeroll*

Definitely your best story thus far. Can't wait for the next one (and dude, look at the review counter!)

Sera (and Tails)

GoogleADs: Dangerous kissing tips (!), Custom fit Vampire Fangs and HERPES MEDICATION! EW! WHAT THE HELL? These things keep getting weirder and weirder.
SueJRA chapter 7 . 10/1/2007

I found this story on Friday night and by Sunday mid afternoon (and bearing in mind I was out all day on Saturday) I had devoured all 7 chapters and loved every single one!

You have a really enjoyable, easyflowing and intriguing writing style and your original story idea captured the imagination.

It also left the reader with unanswered questions most importantly for me is whether or not Dean does in fact know the real truth behind the amulet? Does the amulet hold the secret to prolonged life? Can it save Dean as it was suggested?

All in all I loved this story and looked forward to reading more. After all with the secrets still being kept between the brothers, the mystery of how the crazy madman could know so much about them surely warrants a sequel? Hint hint

Sue x
Agent Five chapter 7 . 9/28/2007
Wow! Awesome ending.

Now, I understand why Sammy is concerned and I appreciate that Dean had reservations. But I really have no problem with him locking Mahoney in with the crusker! Does that make me a bad person? lol I mean, the guy got what was coming to him - and in a class way! The gun with one bullet is a nice touch, btw!

There're still loads of questions though. It'd be interesting to read your take on the answers - what is the amulet? why did Dean's eyes bleed in Bloody Mary? Who told Mahoney all about them?

But it's a nice place to end. A Kripke ending!

Looking forward to more from you x
133 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »