Reviews for In Need of Company
tragicbeauty1991 chapter 1 . 5/5/2013
Awww! :'( This made me want to cry! I love the idea of Valjean and Javert having known each other from "before" and only later realizing that they knew each other as friends in a past life...but it makes Javert's ending that much sadder than it already was! Beautiful story! 3
Whyler S chapter 1 . 3/13/2013
I haven't read much pre-canon fic for Les Mis but I think this one would be hard to top! Dreamy, loner Valjean and little distrusting Javert... what more could one desire?

"As Valjean entered his house and made his way upstairs, Javert wished with every fiber of his being that he could stand there till the end of his days, if it meant keeping the current resident rooted to this house, to make it his prison rather than the dank cells of Toulon. If only he could keep eternal guard of this house, in order to spare himself the pain of turning over his rescuer to the Law." wow that was probably my favorite thing to read out of this whole oneshot and that's saying something because your description of Javert's mother was great and don't even get me started on Javert's reactions and how perfect they are.
Asparagus chapter 1 . 2/28/2013
ahh ahw ah my heart

wow yes good fic yes

uGH THIS IS SO GOOD
Tiasworld chapter 1 . 2/27/2013
Oh. Yes. Love it, and so many feels!
Guest chapter 1 . 2/19/2013
I liked this. It seems plausible, it adds a layer to the story, and it's at once sweet ans sad.
Top Hats and Other Items chapter 1 . 5/1/2012
Ah. This is a nice take on both of their pasts, especially the one of Javerts's :D

Would be nice if you made more, but this is fine already :D I'm just greedy that way :D
Billie the fourth sage chapter 1 . 6/26/2011
Sadness is what I feel. We need more fics like these, oh goodness. I wish they'd recognized each other properly ;_;

And Javert-Demian calling him "his" Jean was sweet and heartbreaking both.
Rosenkavalier chapter 1 . 2/12/2011
I'm a huge JVJ/J shipper, but this also stirred a scorn for racism. I'm not quite sure that that was your intention, but it did.

The portrayal of Valjean in his childhood was a satisfying one; he must have had a normal youth at one point, right? As for Javert, all too many a time is he shown as a stubborn little boy with a much too transparent shield covering his weak interior. This Javert is remarkably similar to his grown counterpart in his suspicious disposition and tenacious pride.

The parallels between their first and last meetings are clever and wonderful. I adore your characterization of the two.
Jedees chapter 1 . 2/14/2010
Adorable! I loved the parallels between their first meeting and their last. Well done!
Alice Wright chapter 1 . 10/6/2009
I really liked this story. You've clearly done your research on the characters. The beginning is a bit slow, but the same can be said for parts of Hugo's novel, which you seem to be imitating the style of. Once you introduced Phillipe the story began to take on a more naturalistic feel. Once you introduced Javert, I was hooked. Too many times I have seen a writer portray Javert as a hurt little boy with only a layer of shell covering his soft, compassionate interior. You've portrayed him as he should be portrayed, as a boy who has learned to distrust and block out virtually everything around him. He already shows some of the traits that become highlighted when he grew up, namely his sense of pride and inherent distrust, something that is generally only mentioned and then disguarded in other works. As for Valjean, perhaps I am too cynical, but it seems as though something more than pure curiousity would have to lead him to face the ridicule of his peers, no matter how close or distant he was to them. I am similarly puzzled about why he runs into the middle of a fight to defend a complete stranger, moreover one who is of a class that is considered treacherous. However, I understand that these actions are crucial to the story and could not be changed without wrecking it. Besides, they don't take away much from the overall excellent story. Act at your own discretion.

I am a bit confused by the chapter listing. Is this supposed to go any further? As much as I'd love to see more of your work, you've given this story a very poignant and well crafted ending that leaves the reader thinking. To elaborate on it would only take away from the superior craftsmanship of your work. Perhaps a seperate story would be more appropriate?

I have nothing more to add other than keep writing! I hope to see more of your work soon!
livingsoul12066 chapter 1 . 2/11/2009
It's nice, and I really like it. ) Though, I do have to wonder how Demian became Javert. The name change is not explained at all.
thymer chapter 1 . 9/25/2007
I really like this. It's great.
LesMisLoony chapter 1 . 9/7/2007
The little blue button actually says "Go"...

I really liked this story! I was hooked from the moment one of Jean's friends approached him, because teen!Jean is so rarely explored in fanfic. A fantastic story, and well-written.

The only thing that could have been a little better, I thought, was the ending. I wish it had been one scene without the summary, just because it would have been more striking. And I THINK it would have been possible to explain everything else in the narration, or at least allude to it. If the scene had started in the carriage, or at the barricades, or something like that, and ended with the same few paragraphs, it would have been perfect...

Um... basically, this is a wonderful idea, and well carried out! I'm just nitpicky.