Reviews for The Price of Peace?
Guest chapter 3 . 8/20/2012
intersting story, but i don't think i'll be able to finish. i like dr who, but i get tired of how he is always portrayed in fics. and even in canon, i don't like the 'timelords know everything and all others are less then them' storylines. it gets annoying how he always seems to pull out some ridiculous gizmo or statement to save the day. i like when there are consequences to his actions.
Marcus S. Lazarus chapter 7 . 6/16/2012
VERY effective bit of work, to say the least.

If nothing else, you earn definite points for your use of the First Doctor; in a world where people are so ‘obsessed’ with the modern series, it’s nice to see evidence that I’m not the only person who still appreciates the classic series, and your portrayal of the Doctor is generally good, still bound by the perceptions of Time Lord society even as he ‘rebels’ against them with his departure from Gallifrey, as well as his growing awareness of the role he must play for the universe as he recognises the dangers posed by the Eidelons’ ‘control’ of others to end wars (Much like the reasons he had for disliking the concept of the Conscience of Marinus).

Subsequent events as the Doctor witnessed Crichton’s equations and Moya ‘spoke’ with the TARDIS were also rather interesting even before you explained your reasoning behind the dangers of the Eidleons’ forced peace, and your later look at things from Elyria’s perspective as she envisioned a world where her people rule perfectly reflected the dangers of letting them continue with their current plan rather than allow everything to evolve naturally.

The story might be short but the point made is an excellent one nevertheless; peace without freedom is just trading open oppression for a less violent but no less aggressive form of conquest (As the Fifth Doctor once said, a benevolent dictator is an impossible concept), as, regardless of how much you want to avoid violence, some people just won’t respond to anything other than a punch to the face to stop what they’re doing.

And as for the conclusion...

It might have been abrupt, but it was interesting nevertheless; nice to see that, while their victory wasn’t without cost, they created a world that, while not perfect, is perfect for THEM, providing the freedoms that are the right of all sentient beings without dominating the people to make them believe what a specific person wants them to believe.
Jonn Wolfe chapter 7 . 4/7/2011
This was a completely brilliant story, and I loved it. It's rare to find an 'Original Doctor' story that truly captures who he was, but damn if you didn't do it. Bravo.
Neodammarung the Destroyer chapter 4 . 12/18/2010
This sounds a bit like the Police State philosiphy I read about in V for Vendetta
Jed Rhodes chapter 7 . 9/1/2010
You should be very proud of this. It's well written and engaging, and it has a very good plot. Both sets of characters are in character: and I like the cameo from Ten. Always nice to link the new show to the old.
Michael1812 chapter 2 . 5/25/2010
Interesting idea about the Eidelons. Very true. I'm now picturing what the Tenth Doctor or Eleventh Doctor would do would they be in the First Doctor's place at this point. You say he was the perfect choice to be the one to comment on the Eidelon situation, but I think all Doctors are quite keen in that regard. I can completely picture Ten's restrained rage and pointy finger at the Eidelons or hidden glances whilst he listens in my mind now. No love for guns. No change then. Keen characterization of the Doctor and his granddaughter. Well done.
PhoenixRe chapter 7 . 11/5/2009
Quite Interesting. And I have to agree with your Doctor choice.

I tried thinking about it and it was really the ONLY choice.

The other characters too played out quite nicely.

I think you wrote a good story and you made your point which by the way I agree - at least for some time now, who knows what how something in the future might shape my opinion :D.
Jordiscy chapter 7 . 9/8/2009
I really enjoyed reading this story. Your choice in using the first Doctor I believe was the best choice. I also admire how you challenged the Scaper cult with this controversial topic in the aftermath of the Peacekeeper Wars. Not too many have the guts to follow through with something this daring to make a philosophical point.

The two things I would have liked to have seen would be the little common errors in writing to be weeded out, and for Barbara, Ian, and Susan to get into more trouble as they did in the spirit of being companions of the Doctor (but that would have made the story ten times more complicated and longer).

I'm glad I stumbled across your story.
Amazing Bluie chapter 7 . 8/7/2009
Wow! That was brilliantly done! I loved your extraordinary portrayal of both sets of characters. And it was a fantastic philosophical discussion, too. Bordered on the edge of preachy at some spots, but I'm not complaining. I must admit I am not very familiar with the first Doctor, I've only seen the first few episodes, but it was enjoyable.

And I totally agree with your point. Far more important than living a little bit of a longer life is having the freedom to live it as you wish. And no one should be able to take free will from you.

I also enjoyed the appearance of what I assume to be the tenth doctor at the end. He is the perfect one to have watching from the background as he checks up on someone from his past.

Anyways, awesome job with the story! Sorry that not everyone agrees.
Derek chapter 2 . 2/13/2009
I liked the story. You made good use of the Farscape universe. I must say that I found a mistake. The Doctor's Tardis is referred to in the show as a type 40, not type 90. I cite the story "Invasion of Time" as well as "Pirate Planet" for reference. Using the first Doctor was intriguing, I felt you portrayed him Barbara, and Susan spot on. Compelling morale very much in character for the Doctor, helping people help themselves. I just want to point out that one thing.
Jonathan chapter 1 . 7/17/2008
Interesting. You've certainly painted the Eidolons in a new, and far more sinister, light. And, I suspect, not one that their their creators intended. However, the Docotor does have a point, peace without freedom is nothing more then slavery. The only freedom that really matters is the freedom of choice.

Great fun! I like it when a fanfic surprises me.

Thank you for an enjoyable read.
RagdollStuffy chapter 7 . 5/23/2008
I reviewed first on chap 2, and just now read the ending. WONDERFUL! I loved the ending, you are a most excellent writer, and I bet you could do a better job writing Doctor Who scripts then most of the writers they got now.
RagdollStuffy chapter 3 . 5/23/2008
Regarding your Authors note end of chapter two. I couldn't agree with your viewpoint more. For the Peacekeepers and the Scarens, the war proved technological progress. Each one working hard at trying to out do the other. Though in real life I wouldn't condone war, I also would not condemn it. You are absolutely right. War and famine and death is all part of the human nature.

Now to review the story 3

Excellent! Both two series that I love put together in complete awesomeness. I'm so glad that you didn't jump on the 'Rose' coloured bandwagon and make this a New Series Doctor Who crossover. There is just something that the new series could never have, and thats the charm of the old writers for the series. Rock on \m/ _ \m/
THE FILTH chapter 1 . 4/5/2008
C'mon people get to your senses, the loser writing this cr*pfic gave up his imagination due to the enormous negative feedback and killed the next: "A Thin Verneer" (that or he wasn't THAT smart to know how to continue the tale you know) before time, the only good thing is that this BS had a quick and decent death, painless and merciful which lead us to nowhere, just as we began when conned to read this two-bit piece of fiction
acer-sigma chapter 7 . 4/1/2008
Good ending to the story. Certainly sounds like the DOctor gave John and crew something to think about, and it looks like they went out an made a difference. Liked how you ended this with D'Argo recounting the story. Thought his catching sight of the Tenth Doctor was a nice touch.
53 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »