Reviews for Proto Man: Shades and Shield
Ransom chapter 1 . 3/31/2014
.EVER!
Crystalstorm chapter 1 . 10/9/2007
Wow that was a great fic. I think it sums up Protoman perfectly. I really enjoyed reading this. Ja.
Laryna6 chapter 1 . 9/21/2007
I can't believe this is the first review this piece has gotten.

Normally, I don't read fanfiction poetry. I'm extremly picky when it comes to poetry and visual arts: I don't like most published poetry, let alone fanworks. But I ended up reading this piece after passing it over several times, and I wish I'd discovered it sooner.

This is an exquisitly crafted piece in a technical sense, although there are a couple bits that feel awkward gramatically. However, they work so I won't point them out: they don't need fixing.

Not only that, but this is an excellent perspective on Blues/Protoman. You show him as essentially only Rock or the player sees him, and you sum up the mystery of the rogue robot.

The repetition of describing him as the "man of the shades and the shield" is wonderful. Besides being an actual poetic technique (someone paid attention in English class!), it's a wonderful description of him. Man, as opposed to robot, highlighting that despite his nature he is a person. Shades for the fact that he hides his nature, and sheild for his aspect of protector, usually of Rock but perhaps of more?

I've written essays on famous poems that were deserving of less in the way of line-by-line analysis than this. (I'm an English major.) All I can say is bravo.