Reviews for Life at Sea
ccase13 chapter 1 . 12/6/2011
In retrospect, Dean dying but not going to hell probably would have left Sam better off for not being on the whole revenge on Lillith kick and Dean certainly would have been better off.
kogsy21 chapter 1 . 7/27/2008
This was sad yet beautiful. Probably one of the best AHBL tags or end of Dean's deal scenarios I've ever read. I enjoy the simplicity and elegance of your writing. Loved it!
darkflames chapter 1 . 10/24/2007
beautiful.. sad... depressing... perfect )
NC Girl chapter 1 . 9/21/2007
I'm so glad you're back! It's been a long summer without a story from you. ;)

As usual, you had me laughing out loud one minute and somber the next and I loved every word. In my opinion, you are one of the few writers who have a truly solid understanding of the characters- especially their mannerisms and “language”- but still able to create a unique and original story without compromising your creativity. (I've probably said that to you before, but I swear, I think about it every time I finish one of your stories.)

Okay, I also have to comment on two specific parts of this story that really stuck with me.

I absolutely LOVE this little interaction between Sam and Bobby just because it’s so “Sam” and “Bobby:”

He settles back into the armchair in Bobby’s front room. It’s a nice chair, soft, but not too soft, wings that make it feel cozy and a nice gray color. If he had a place to put it, Sam would seriously consider pinching it while Bobby was out somewhere.

“My grandfather died in that chair,” Bobby says suddenly. He settles onto the couch opposite Sam and rests a bottle of Corona on his knee.

Sam shifts forward uncomfortably.

Bobby breaks out into a wide grin. “I’m just messing with you.”

“It’s funny,” Sam remarks calmly.

And this one made such a huge impact because it is so well written:

It’s somehow worse than the children’s’ graves he’s seen and not for the obvious reason. The difference being the difference between never getting to start and never getting to finish.

I can't wait for your next one!

Take care!
Pedellea chapter 1 . 9/8/2007
I loved the controlled emotional atmosphere you paint in the story. It feels very true to both Sam and Dean's personalities. And, oh, is it ever bittersweet (just the way I like it)! This is probably the best piece I've come across in a while. Thanks for writing it!
irismay42 chapter 1 . 9/8/2007
Oh *gulp* that was so lovely and so sad all at the same time! Loved this line: ...The difference being the difference between never getting to start and never getting to finish... Pretty much going to be the story of Dean's life if he goes out that way.

You drew a really warm picture of the boys' relationship throughout - Sam's grief finally leading to acceptance that at least his brother isn't going to Hell. Although I have to admit, I nearly blubbed when Sam did in the Impala...

Fabulous stuff.
CriesofCapricorn chapter 1 . 9/8/2007
This was so beautifully written.

I loved the beginning where we find out Sam's subtracting dates from gravestones to ascertain ages and how he couldn't do it with Dean. Loved the line about Bobby saying how he'd rather it be Dean dying (because I can completely understand his rationalization about that). Loved the way Dean wanted to go to Bobby's to tell him to look after Sam.

I really ADORED the lines as well. The summary is what really drew me in and some of the rest (such at the ending line) said so much in such a subtle way. Amazing!

Fabulous work!
ParallelVerse chapter 1 . 9/8/2007
Okay, ouch. That had to be one of those things that was just scratching its way out from under your skin and you just had to write it down. Beautiful tone. Beautifully written. Painful as old grief. You should apologize for it, and be terribly proud of it at the same time. It felt so real. Almost too real. Bobby pointing out that if it had to be one of them... I think he's right. Sam could survive Dean's death, though not without losing a lot of himself. Dean couldn't survive Sam's. But, still. I hope you are not in as dark a place as the one this story came from. And, by the way, the title is genius.
Angelbyname chapter 1 . 9/8/2007
God I loved this, really touching, with understated feeling and tone. Wonderful
Sera and Tails chapter 1 . 9/7/2007
C'mon, at this point you -know- I'm going to gush and say "OMG I love your stories blah blah you're awesome blah."

Best parts for me were:

“Hey, maybe we could stop at the library, (...)”

Dean shoves Sam in the pool." and the follow up of Dean doing a cannonball into the pool. So adorable.

It's spectacular as always.

Much thanks,

Sera
burnmedown chapter 1 . 9/7/2007
Very well written, and very sad - every moment is haunted by the way we know it's going to end. This is absolutely amazing:

"Barely time for a breath. A brief inhale, exhale, and he's gone."

Because isn't that the way it feels, in the end? Here and gone, with hardly anything in between.

Also, I'm a Texan - and it made me ridiculously happy that you used the phrase "fixing to be". :)