Reviews for How the Beast got its Flaming Tail
Ardwynna Morrigu chapter 1 . 3/5
That's just beautiful. I love a good origin story in any form and this just makes the wide wonderful world of FFVII so much richer.
Vladimir the Hamster chapter 1 . 8/14/2009
I really liked this story. Like an ancient myth. :)

Though I've always wondered... if Nanaki was the only one left of his kind... and... assuming he's male... how the hell did he have two cubs? XD
IVIaedhros chapter 1 . 2/20/2009
A fascinating tale with its roots in old native myth and culture...I enjoyed it subtly showed Nanaki's faint sense of superiority and amusement towards humans.
The Genesis Awards chapter 1 . 2/14/2009
I am extraordinarily pleased to inform you that your story, How the Beast Got its Flaming Tail, has been nominated for The Genesis Awards Best Short Fic Category. The Genesis Awards exists to reward the authors of FFVII fanfiction that show a certain standard of grammar and formatting, relevance to canon and characterization. Your story was nominated by NRGburst and passed to the judging rounds because of the quality your story possesses. On April 15th, the Shortlisting for the Genesis Awards will take place, and on June 15th the final results will be tallied and posted.

If you have any questions or comments, please visit our Fan Fiction Net Profile or The Genesis Awards forum.

Congratulations, and good luck.

Best Regards,

GoldenShinyWireOfHope chapter 1 . 1/20/2009
I loved this story. It felt just like it could have been one of Aesop's fables! The language was just perfect for the style and it really drew me in. It was nice to see a story about Red XI as well. I think this is the first time I've read one.
aerisbolt chapter 1 . 12/2/2008
What a lovely story. I really enjoyed this and love your take on Nanaki around the time we see him at the end of FFVII. Great job!
Youko-Kokuryuuha chapter 1 . 11/10/2008
Pied, this was great. I loved how you told the story like a childhood fable, while keeping it captivating.

You molded Red's tale into a story of friendship, loyalty, courage, determination, and all those other awesome traits that Beast totally had. The inclusion of the cubs' childish naivete was a nice addition, too.

The grammar and puncuation was on spot, no suprises there. Though, I must admit, I'm curious as to what happened to the humans. Did they go 'kaploosh'?

At any rate, this was a smooth and interesting read.

NRGburst chapter 1 . 10/30/2008
Oh wow, Pied. I very much enjoyed this; the fairytale style was beautifully executed. And the way you've written the cubs is charming, as always. I can see why this got published, but to be honest, seeing only an excerpt in PDM was what made me skip over reading it. I dislike jumping through hoops to read entire fics.

A couple of things I wondered: Nanaki came back empty-handed from his all-day hunt? And what caused the demise of humans if even Midgar is lush and green in the future? Didn't CoB show that humans had learned that working in harmony with the Planet was necessary? How sad they are merely a memory, and as abstract to the cubs as dinosaurs are to us. I think that cautionary note is fitting, though.

Well done. :)
Marine is hope2 chapter 1 . 10/19/2008
I like it: is a reasonable way to discribe Red's past.

Aardy chapter 1 . 7/9/2008
This is another wonderful piece about Nanaki and his race. I can tell you that I was absolutely captivated by the folk tale of how the beast got its flaming tail. Word for word, it was written perfectly, flowing like water. The story is so original and fresh. It's really like nothing else I have found on this website and it should be enough for those who read it, including myself, to abdicate their titles as 'Good Writers' to reduce the amount of poorly executed romance/yaoi/violent nonsense that clutters this site up.

Keep up the great work.

yllom21 chapter 1 . 7/6/2008
Wow, that was wonderful. Not enough is written about Nanaki, and I really enjoyed this piece. That story does seem like a story Nanaki would tell. Good job!
Rinas chapter 1 . 2/17/2008
Perfect storytelling. Very imaginative and believable enough to be a real tribal story. Sucks that the human race is extinct and all, but it's nice to see Nanaki and the Planet is going strong.
paramount-legalism chapter 1 . 12/10/2007
This is a magnificent tale. Kudos on the mythological bent - I've long wanted to try this style for FF and never really had the knack. You have my admiration!

(And hooray! At last some good FFVII fics. Thanks for the links.)
Lady Valtaya chapter 1 . 10/14/2007
This is a wonderful story and I love it. It definitely carries a hint of several of Kipling's works, my favorites will always be his Jungle Book stories...

Nanaki reminds me so much of wise, noble Bagheera in this, and the way you've portrayed the closeness of the little family is very touching.

I can draw many parallels between Bagheera and Nanaki in this, actually, even if you didn't realize it during the story's creation. Baloo might be the keeper of the Jungle law, but it was Bagheera that always understood what was really going on.

Bagheera was the most clever and honorable creature in the jungle- he protected both Mowgli and Akela from both Shere Khan and later, even the wolf council by asserting himself as the enforcer of the Jungle Law...

I see the same freethinker in Nanaki that I admired so much in Bagheera. After several hundred years it would be only too easy to remember humans as wasteful and destructive, instead Nanaki is quick to remind his cubs that he couldn't have saved the planet without his human friends.

Nice work. I really love this one. I doubt you will ever be inspired to do this, but I'd like to read a follow up chapter on this- when Nanaki takes the cubs to their introduction to the rest of the tribe. _
Helwi chapter 1 . 10/14/2007
So cute! I alwas like to find a story on Nanaki.

They're so rare! :)