Reviews for 1: Rumours of Death
truegold-dragonstar chapter 4 . 10/13/2008
Hey - you write Battle of the Planets fics? Small world.

Not too sure what I think about this. I mean - technically, it's excellent. Your characters are vivid and well realised, your descriptions are fabulous, and your science seems pretty convincing. In a way, that's sort of the problem. I mean - you've made it make sense! Since when did it make sense?

I don't have a problem with AU, and I'm perfectly ready to swallow your alternative backstories and even visualise a G-force before Mark arrived (I assume), but I think you're altering the tone of the world, making it darker, grittier, and more logical and scientific. It's not necessarily BAD, since your characters are, let's face it, MINIMUM twice as real as they ever really were, but it does make it hard to judge this on its own merits.

If I had to try, then I think I'd say that the only slight issue I had reading this was with Princess' voice. I mean - I'M a smart teenager. You're - well, I'm not going to guess how old you are, but you're not, and I can tell. That's not meant to be an insult, it's just that to me Princess reads older than she's really supposed to be; not merely in tone (I guess you can argue back that the training and situation she's in has made her grow up fast) but in terms of experience. She makes a comment about driving a car, for instance. But your Princess isn't American, so she isn't old enough to drive. Stuff like that. There's a tendency in some of your characters to talk in generalities ('people are like this' 'some people get that') that make them sound older. Oh, I have it - I think it's that they talk about things they've LEARNED as if they'd EXPERIENCED them.

I just realised that I've written an incrediby long and mostly negative review on a story that I actually enjoyed the best of anything I've read in a while, so sorry about that... expect to hear from me on the later stories over the next couple of weeks!

t-d
Math Girl chapter 1 . 10/21/2007
It was nice, and a bit wistful, seeing everyone together and happy before the disaster. You end up wishing you could change things for them, somehow. But I guess that a drama where everything goes right and noone ever gets hurt wouldn't be much of a drama... Still... It's an indicator of excellent writing, how much one cares about the fate of the characters. And I certainly do care about these; even the ones whom I realize from earlier reading are doomed.

Math Girl chapter 2 . 10/21/2007
I think it's knowing that the whole thing's a set-up that's worst; that G-Force is being flung into action against known impossible odds, as a test. Anderson's "concern" comes off as disingeuous and smarmy, under the circumstances. Can something extremely heavy, such as a Spectran ship, land on him? Soon?

Math Girl chapter 3 . 10/21/2007
See...! Tolja he's a genius! Figuring out how to materialize part of your energy field inside another ship to destroy it without conventional weaponry, is pure, fiendish cleverness. I'd read your other stories today, so I knew that something terrible happened on Mars, but "seeing" the actual events is still gut-punch painful. I'm sorry about Don. The password bit was cute, though. I think you caught me on that one, with 'e'.

Math Girl chapter 4 . 10/21/2007
Powerful stuff... Don't know what else to say, except that the emotions, and action felt very, very real. Ouch.

tiylaya chapter 1 . 10/3/2007
At last, one of my favourite BotP stories on This has always been, to me at least, the best developed and most compelling alternate universe series for Battle of the Planets. I look forward to seeing more of it.
transmutejun chapter 3 . 9/25/2007
Oh good, more chapters! I knew what was going to happen, and I was still eagerly reading every word. You've actually made me feel sorry for Don (I didn't think I would) and I can't fault the actions of the other team members either.

I'm wondering if this incident is what made them think that 5 members might be better... to provide more assistance/backup in unknown situations.

It's also really intriguing to see the way you're merging 'our' space travel technology and what we've seen on the show. I'm wondering how things improve so fast... perhaps the Rigans help out? (Perhaps this is covered in other stories in your AU... I'll admit to not having had a chance to read all of it yet).

In any case, I'm looking forward to the next bit!
transmutejun chapter 1 . 9/17/2007
I always love reading your insights on the team and their personalities. I was just speaking with a friend of mine this morning about Don Wade being in fanfic, notably in yours, and here I come across a new story from you an hour later.

I really enjoy seeing this lightheartendess and excitement, and it makes a wonderful contrast to your later, darker stories. I'm pretty sure I know where this fits in with your AU (i.e. what's going to happen on Mars) and I love this lead-in to it.