Reviews for Genpuku
GoldenGryphon chapter 1 . 4/29/2014
I've played strip poker (who hasn't?), strip chess and strip Uno (that was a weird one and involved lots of alcohol). I haven't yet played strip Go. I may have to change that... thanks for the idea.

I love the idea of a woman in less than forgiving circumstances taking pity on a young man eager to learn but shy beyond normal telling.
You did a great job in painting the scene and the characters. So easy to fill in all that was left to the imagination.

Thank you.
Quickslice chapter 1 . 11/8/2013
Oro?! Go board?
Zeras chapter 1 . 9/25/2009
That was fun! I especially like the ambiguousness at the end of your story; it made me laugh. We just don't really know what happened at that night, except for that at one point they certainly played go... ;)
Mindless chapter 1 . 8/19/2009
It's a good story! Love it :D

I like how you make it so "bakumatsu" in this story. Btw for those who are confused (because in Memoirs of Geisha those geishas dont sleep with people) I'll explain more. Shimabara was a pleasure quarters and the girls were prostitutes (they were called oirans or geishas). But prostitutes at that time were not negatively perceived. Like high class prostitutes (they're called Tayu and Tenjin)they would likely ended up married or being mistresses of some rich people, and at that time it was a honourable thing! It's because those girls went through hard training like modern geisha did (if not harder)they were like celebrities at this time, and being with the high ranked oiran (the highest one is Tayu, usually signifies by how elaborate her hairdo is) was considered a virtue.

I love how you have managed to capture all of those in your story! :D:D:D it's rare to see a fic with quite an accurate information of that era haha...
Lellow chapter 1 . 7/11/2009
Hehehe... I like this... you managed to keep him in character AND fearlessly explore this subject matter... Kudos!
sueb262 chapter 1 . 3/17/2009
i realize i've reviewed this story before, but i was re-reading some of my favorites of yours, and just had to leave another note about the exquite perfection of this delightful piece that makes me fall in love with everyone in it-you are the master at that!
morning rush chapter 1 . 1/2/2009
Wow, too cute! I was thinking not so innocent thoughts...
Hidari chapter 1 . 12/18/2008
Aw, they played go! So very nicely done.
GG chapter 1 . 12/15/2008
Haha. Nice story, even though it's a little non-canon(Kenshin was too shy and reserved to make any friends, I believe). Will you write a follow-up?
Nigihayami Haruko chapter 1 . 6/1/2008
She taught him *go*! -chortles- Oh my god. You're amazing.
bmystee chapter 1 . 2/18/2008

LOVE this fic! (I've finally decided to review...after reading it like 3 times...)

I found this fic throughly entertaining. There are not many stories out there that don't talk of Kenshin being either bullied or feared while he had been Hitokiri Battousai. (Although, I really do enjoy those fics too...) I also loved that...shall we say...twisted? ending.

This is definitely on my favorites list!
Fenikkusuken chapter 1 . 10/15/2007
This was even more enjoyable on this read-through. Once again, your characterization of Kenshin is a joy to experience.

Thank you!

kirayasha aka kira chapter 1 . 10/6/2007
*chuckles* I really enjoyed this, especially the ending about the go board. Why do i ahve the feeling, he not only learned how to play go, but also learned something about what it is to be a "man."

Also, just so you know, an O-kami is the woman in charge of a teahouse where geisha go to entertain their clients. And they do sleep with men, but only with their danna & they only have one at a time. A danna is a geisha's patron. A mama-san looks after her girls & runs a okiya. An Okiya is the house where a giesha, more properly called a geiko and maiko (apprrentice geiko)live. a yaritebaba is the madam of a brothel. That's where it sounds like they went. I'm not sure if she would be called "mam-san" or not, but if she's trying to elevate her brothel to to something approaching an okiya, then Mama-san works.
Ranuel chapter 1 . 9/30/2007
Very sweet. I like how you leave the question of if Umeko taught him anything beyond go a little vague. I vote that she did once she got him over his anxiety with the distraction.
miniwoo chapter 1 . 9/22/2007