Reviews for Whispers of Frost
Lady Asher chapter 1 . 3/20/2011
wow... this is excellent. thanks for sharing!
Oliv chapter 1 . 12/23/2008
This is heartbreakingly beautiful. Your talent is clearly evident through this piece.

I'm having a difficult time describing the feeling I had while reading this-it's very profound. You've mixed narrative and poetry seamlessly into an enlightening piece of art. That's what it is, not just a story, but art that conveys emotion. Your skill of instilling thoughts and emotions within the reader using language is truly unparalleled.

The figurative language (personification especially) really elevated it to a higher resonance artistically, and the abstract, epic narration was the best way to illustrate the tree's emotions. I agree with your choice to keep it as a "just a tree", as you said, because although it keeps a greater distance between the reader and the tree than if you used the first person from its perspective, it brings the reader and author closer together in sharing its story, and maintains the poetic integrity of it that you have so carefully designed. Not to mention that it makes for a more applicable story for the reader's own ideas and opinions.

I've never given a review with so much praise or with so much analysis of a story's construction. I don't know whether you considered all of this, or if you just sat down and wrote it, but either way, you are incredibly talented. I look forward very much to reading some of your other work.

All the best,

Olivia
Dave D chapter 1 . 4/13/2008
I have always wondered how the tree came to an end and how Jadis invaded and if the Giants of the far north were somehow her offspring? I wonder if the tree had a dryad and if the four thrones were made out of the wood from the tree and that this is what protected the Castle from the witch? Thanks for the story you write so well.
asdfjkl chapter 1 . 10/25/2007
i like this clip. i just read your bio, and you are a person after my own heart (except for the watership down, but i think i can forgive you for that). i've loved lord of the rings for years (i read them in like 5th grade...) and chronicles of narnia rules.

keep writing!
Samwise chapter 1 . 10/12/2007
This is beautiful. The description is exquisite, not sappy, not overdone. Majestic at first, then decidedly chilling. You should write something about Puddleglum, lol.
elecktrum chapter 1 . 10/4/2007
Oh, but this was beautiful and vivid and troubling in equal measure! You presented a remarkable picture of Narnia before the Witch - happy and care free and lax in vigilance. I found it so sad that the Tree died alone and unnoticed and that the only one who paid attention to its passing didn't mourn, but celebrated.

Bravo Zulu. This was a lovely story. I hope you have more in mind!
Val Evenstar chapter 1 . 9/26/2007
Wow. And wow.

This is beautifully written (and I'm really picky about grammar and the like!) and excellently described. I love the way you first present the Tree in times of peace - beautiful imagery, by the way. And then there's the foreboding... shiver... and it's followed up wonderfully: "Then, with a lupine howl that shivered through all Narnia, it struck." - more shivers. So violent yet so appropriate.

I found myself willing the Tree to stand...'Deep roots are not touched by the frost' and all that. My, my. Your description of the tree's fall was heartbreaking. And then Jadis... wicked, wicked, Jadis!

A beautiful, beautiful peice. Thank you so much!
Bat'Arieh chapter 1 . 9/23/2007
Oh, my! This is so lovely, and so very well thought through. I am quite glad that you wrote it. One does wonder how it happened, how the great tree fell, but for some reason this idea makes more sense than many other scenarios that have proposed themselves to me in the past.

You are a word smith of dwarfish excellence, Little Otter. I appreciate the details you worked into this exquisitely descriptive piece. Thank you for sharing it with us!
dreamingrain chapter 1 . 9/20/2007
Thank you again for an original, thoughtful piece. :)

I liked how the Witch 'tricked' the Tree/ground into giving in. The anger and description about the fruit's life dying was a nice touch.
Love and Rock Music chapter 1 . 9/18/2007
Wow. I loved it, it was incredible, and you are so very talented. It's so perfect - everything was so rich in detail and just amazing. What I really liked (and I loved it all) was that it fits so perfectly into my story, A Web Woven. I would love for you to check it out. . . I feel like I could have written this, but mine definitely wouldn't be as good. Great job!
Miniver chapter 1 . 9/18/2007
This is lovely despite its distressing subject-very visual and full of emotion. I like the idea that crossed your mind that it might have been a Talking Tree, even though you didn't depict it that way. (I think if you had, it would have been almost too heartbreaking to read. Remember that terrible scene in "Last Battle" where the dryad died right in front of Tirian because her tree had been cut down? Didn't you almost put the book down the first time you read that section?) Glad to see another story from you. Keep writing!
the1hobbit chapter 1 . 9/18/2007
wow, very nice! We need to see more Narnia fics from you, if all turn out as fantabulous as this one! (sorry, not forcing the hand am I? :p)

anyways defintly a fav.
Petraverd chapter 1 . 9/17/2007
Aww, poor tree! *sniffle*

Anyway, this was a nice little piece, very happy to come across it! A unique look at a very intriguing bit of Narnian history, beautifully written and quite captivating! Loved every word of it, and the ending was deliciously ominous, as it should have been. Great job!