Reviews for Broken Beauty
TheMadPuppy chapter 1 . 1/19/2009
Can I quote the whole story?

Seriously, this was a magnificient insight of Fuschia's character. I think you got perfectly how the fairytales interacted with her vision of reality and Steerpike, and your paragraph with the spider (specifically "she'll know that although she can be brave, she hates and fears ugly things. She longs to show no fear, but she's near-bursting with it. She wants to grow up, but can't.") made me less angry about her reaction of his unmasking.

I also think you made me realize more that she isn't only frightened because she's a silly child; there is also a part of her that is genuinely scared by him, as any grown-up would be.

"labyrinthine"-how I loved that adjective to describe how their relationship evolve!

"Like him, she wants to know what she's doing"-that made me sympathetic to how fragile she really is. How insecure she must be about everything. How reaching out to Steerpike or keeping away must be equally frightening.

"He's no monster, she aches to say. He's wonderful." That's so...fluffy, endearing and tragic considering we know he's not at all T_T.

Finally it made me reflect on how things could have turned differently if they had more time, like the BatB story Fuschia thinks about, and how...strange? it must be sometimes for her, having Steerpike in the waiting room all the time, not really knowing why he persists so much (why such a brilliant man take an interest in me?) and not sure she wants to find out either, just being consumed by thoughts of him in the meantime.
Sapphire Warrioress chapter 1 . 10/17/2008
I just came across this on your story page and the title caught my interest.

This is very deep, showing lots of thought and a keen perceptiveness from you the writer.

I actually don't know anything about Gormenghast, but this story would fit perfectly into the Phantom of The Opera . I can just see Christine reflecting thus upon Erik and her refusal to grow up and mature enough to take the daring step to try and look beyond the disfigured face to the tortured soul beneath.

You've really captured the character's struggles and inability to make a firm decision in this tale.

Excellent work.