Reviews for Expectations
le ostrich chapter 1 . 8/15/2010
I can certianly see where the angst comes in. Like some other reviewers, I am slightly ill at ease after reading this. However, I found Jareth's opinion of the soap amusing. I could not agree more!

Oh the irony! I can't imagine Jareth in a business suit...and I don't think the whole "Milord" is going to happen. Remember the last lines, Jareth? "You have no power over me." pretty much says it all.

To conclude my lengthy review, excellent job, again.
writtingintheclouds chapter 1 . 10/18/2009
your story was awesome. im a huge labryinth fan and i thought it was really well written
ImJessieTR chapter 1 . 8/24/2008
Your description of liquid soap dispensers has scarred me for life. :D

I thoroughly enjoyed it.
NS chapter 1 . 6/11/2008
Hm...I just noticed Jareth wants Sarah to "kneel before him..." Awe? Reverence? MILORD? Yeah, that relationship's not happening.
NS chapter 1 . 4/5/2008
I was loving this, then I got to the end and felt sad. It seems ominous. Guess that's where the angst comes in. Oh well, still very well written and funny(until it gets depressing...unless I'm just imagining that part).
Spitfire21 chapter 1 . 12/28/2007
Wow. And to think I missed this during my hiatus!

I dont know how to explain this, but I felt a general sense of unease for the characters as I read this. Almost as if I was walking on eggshells by simply reading.

Some people may feel that Sarah is a little to introspective. As a fifteen year old, the brashness and bravado are obviously covers for the fear and uncertainty she feels. Personally, I have always liked the way you portray her as an adult. There are remnants of the teenager there - the feelings of isolation are once again converted into feelings of frustration and anger. However, instead of externalizing these feelings by lashing out Jareth (like she may want to), she withdraws and reflects (how she believes she's supposed to behave). The way I see it, Jareth is now on her "home turf" and is behaving the way she's supposed to want him to. Unfortunately, my guess is that she realises what she's supposed to want and what she really wants conflicts with the new maturity she's fostered over the years (I'm totally digging the red onion statement). I can see her withdrawing and re-hashing over her uncertainty. I would be guilty and angry too if I purposely "ruined" something I believed was perfect and turned it into something undesirable, but socially acceptable. I like the tension you created outlining her internal conflict.

As for Jareth, I feel bad for him - he's trying so hard to give her what he thinks she wants (supposed normalcy). The whole scene with the OCD handwashing was superb! The part about inhaling the roses and spices scent from the towel was really poignant. It's interesting how, when he's himself and self assured, he shields his hands from the world, like a protective mask; however, when he's playing a part that leaves him uncertain and vulnerable, instead of protecting himself and shielding himself from potential [psychological] dangers, he leaves his hands bare and vulnerable.

The fic in and of itself is somewhat sad - if neither drop the mask and tell the truth about what they really want, I can only see an unhappy ending. Jareth may think he's getting closer to Sarah by acting normal, but Sarah, in all her uncertainty, is pulling away.

When I read the fic, I got this niggling feeling there's a backstory to this. It would be interesting to see how they got to this point, and what may potentially come after :)

Fantastic, as always!
yodeladyhoo chapter 1 . 10/4/2007
Oh, thank the Powers That Be ( and the all mighty authoress ) that Jareth really wasn't normal ! I was getting just as worried as Sarah there for a minute.

Truly, soon...

Thank you for sharing. I miss your work.
femlafangs chapter 1 . 9/28/2007
oh, i wish you'd continue this one, it was quite a tease.
Fou Fou chapter 1 . 9/25/2007
Wow, I'm impressed. I've seen so many stories where Jareth decides to 'court' Sarah in the mortal world, but this short did a good job of capturing the possible difficulties with this. Both have expectations of what the other wants and believe them to be different than their own, but neither wishes to lose what it is they possibly have to ruin that.

I would love to see a possible sequel to this, though to be perfectly frank, it works great as a one-shot. Definitly leaves the possibilities of the future open to the reader. How long will Jareth continue with the facade he believes Sarah wants? How long is Sarah willing to put up with his perceptions of what she wants?

Overall, lovely.
ShadowyLined chapter 1 . 9/23/2007
Anij voiced all of the questions I have after reading this. I enjoyed it; I really did. I like the confusion and misunderstanding but feel that we need a basis, an explanation for it. I think this would fare much better, not as a stand-alone one shot, but rather as the middle of a rather lovely and angsty story. We NEED to see how they have come to this. I, along with Anij, felt they had been dating for far longer than a week... I'd like to see how he approached her... Did she WISH he could be normal? Somehow I don't buy that, so it must be HIS assumption that this is what she wanted... Anyway, I'd LOVE to read a longer version of this... one shotting it doesn't do it justice. But what you do have, I love.
WD chapter 1 . 9/23/2007
I enjoyed this story very much. It was well written, short in length, and easy to follow. It is a gift you have to portray their feelings so clearly. I especially liked the discription of Jareth as a short-haired "normal" man in a grey business suit - how dreadful! lol. The story kind of reminds me of how Mr. Incredible must feel as he also acted "normal" for the sake of his family. I am also intrigued with how this story is coming; I do not see this as a one-shot, especially since he utters "soon" in reference to his upcomming conquest of Sarah. In any case, I like the story and hope there is an upcoming chapter where Jareth, like Edward Norton in Fight Club can break the bonds of normaility and become the Brade Pitt (figher) he truly is.
AvitarGirl chapter 1 . 9/22/2007
wow that was really good! you should add more to this. i'd love to see where you go with it.
Labyrinthine Heart chapter 1 . 9/22/2007
You know... this is truly brilliant. I like Jareth's OCD-ness especially- somehow, I can never picture him without gloves, so this made an odd sort of sense to me. Good move.

TT_TT Why must it be only a oneshot? This could make one heckuva story. -puppy eyes- Pwease? More?
MayzyGreen chapter 1 . 9/22/2007
Oh! Lovely! I -hate- stories that end with Jareth being 'normal' for her. You just KNOW that neither of them would be happy! This was perfect!

And poor Jareth! Salt on his delicate, Fae fingers. That must burn! (I am so abusing the exclamation mark today...)
FromMyBackyard chapter 1 . 9/21/2007
*waves* Contact long overdue, my friend. *feels guilty*

Oh, gravy, the misunderstandings!

Unexpected was -

- the 'dating' for only a week. You gave the impression that they'd been together for years, Jareth having slowly faded to 'normal human.'

- that Sarah should suffer so much for a week because he looked and acted 'normal human.' I'm guessing he came to her that way when she wished to see him? I'm curious about the events that happened between the wish and now.

- J's bellowing for hot water and soap from the U; the instant, furious scrambling so totally opposite from the gray, drab human world; the drop to his knees, shaking from this straining ordeal. So LOVING the towel to the face to breathe in the spice and aroma of his real existence. These all show a vulnerability rarely, if ever, seen from him. Made me a little achy.

- His impression that Sarah wants him to be normal. That he should be insecure and unsure about it all. I have to admit - that floored me.

Hehe... "What is that you is wearing, majesty sir?" That's SO cute. *warm fuzzies*

LOL. I have to laugh now. So hilarious that J thinks Sarah will be won over by 'normal.' That he doesn't see that she's fallen out of ...

And I'm most confounded by Sarah's inability to voice what she wants and her opinions. She's never had that problem before. And why is she asking herself if she wants him 'normal' and 'trapped' in her world? She doesn't want that, she knows it. And she doesn't belong anymore in the mortal world - she knows that, too.

What in the world happened to her that makes her think that his pretending to exist in the mortal world just so he can be with her is the only option available to them?

I'm burning with curiosity now. What the hell DID happen between them at their first meeting when she wished to see him again? What happened that is forcing them to appear so outwardly calm and accepting about it all? What happened- ( ... swizzle sticks! ... I had this wonderful question to follow these and it slipped from my head before I could type it out! *sulks* )

Such BIG meaning and layers behind such a simple-seeming one-shot. But like the story itself contained within, we all know that "things aren't always what they seem in this place."

Now...You KNOW you can't leave this up all by its lonesome. It needs a prequel concerning her wish and their meeting.

I WANT IT!