Reviews for You Can't Keep An Old Dog Down
Zuzanny chapter 16 . 3/14
I got to the end of this and went to press the next chapter button, but there wasn't one! nOoooooooooOoOoo!,
Anyway, i really enjoyed bill. I did wonder if ginny was in on it, but i hope she isn't. I smile thinking about how this will make others suspicious of dumbles.
I would like for remus to realise what dumbles is up to and leave as well.
Zuzanny chapter 15 . 3/13
I love th reference to the evil overlord list. I am so glad i am not the only one to have read it!
ElfIcarii chapter 14 . 1/8
Is this story abandoned? I'd really like to see it continue...
ScarletRainbow1 chapter 16 . 1/7
I have enjoyed this. It is your intention to continue this story? Please, please, please say yes.
stars90 chapter 16 . 12/2/2015
I love this! You're building a great world here, I would love to see you continue it. Figure out how they'll deal with Dumbledore and if Harry really can control the Go'auld. Pretty pretty please?
deitarionSSokolow chapter 14 . 10/25/2015
"Unauthorized Stargate Activation!"

Unless they changed it in one of the seasons I didn't watch, it's "Unscheduled Off-World Activation!"
whrr.trudy chapter 16 . 10/23/2015
rofl I do love your story, thank you for sharing :)
DannyGirl 421 chapter 16 . 10/18/2015
Please,please,please update! This has been one of the best SG1/HP story's I've read.
lillbluegirl chapter 16 . 10/13/2015
How could you stop writing this story! Really bad decision, please update
azulkan2 chapter 16 . 10/8/2015
Sigh, I guess this story is abandoned. But then again maybe not. Will follow it just in case it is updated cause it's a great story.
Moi chapter 16 . 6/9/2015
Excellent story. What I really liked (for Harry) is what kind of person his godfather became with this turn of events. Canon-Sirius, while totally loyal to his friends, was reckless, thoughtless and cruel to those he disliked. Azkaban clearly damaged him way beyond what canon-Harry ever realized. Canon-Jack however, while he shares a certain disregard for rules and a peculiar sense of humor with Sirius, he still remains a responsible adult with a protective streak a mile wide. I believe the combination of who Jack is with Sirius' memories of Harry's parents and the going-ons in magical Britain (never mind his run-in with Amelia Bones) has left Harry with a better guardian. Sirius' mind was healed enough by Jack's to make use of his disillusionment with magical Britain for it to protect Harry. Before that, canon-Sirius was still acting more like a damaged, unbalanced teenager, unable to properly plan in Harry's best interest. Jack however had those characteristics Sirius lacked and the discipline and experience to execute his plans.
In short, we would never have seen a confrontation with Amelia Bones going the same way had canon-Sirius been the one having to deal with it instead of godfather-Jack. Jack tempers Sirius and having Harry under his care might just as well heal Jack a tiny bit after loosing Charlie, even if it's been some time since that happened. Just as Sirius now having memories of raising a child himself might have given him a better idea of what it really means to be a parent. Setting rules and boundaries and following through with them is just as important as indulging a child at times (instead of letting the child running wild). The Dursleys' rules or lack thereof for Dudley never provided a valid frame of reference for Harry, neither did Dumbledore's unfair to the rest of the student population awarding of house-points for recklessness. I think the new experience (and that the world does not revolve around Harry Potter and the Voldemort issue) both Jack and his team and Dame McKnight are . . . gifting . . . to Harry might finally ground him.
Dame McKnight's revelation regarding those spells and their effects placed on parchment a student receives are plain worrying and a violation of the children. Especially as the more they are trying to fit in, the more they are affected, in the long run permanently. Hermione's recent behaviour is proof of that, as NOW it is atypical. Remember, at the end of book one in the infirmary scene, Harry, Ron, and Hermione had a discussion how Harry ended up in this mess. However, nothing ever happened after that to change it, in spite of Hermione's outrage. The spells in combination with the spying 'devices' (portraits, house-elves, spying-spells, legilimency, you name it) would have allowed Dumbledore to interfere in time. A tiny obliviate here, a bit of something else there . . . I find it remarkable that Hermione over the years has managed to overcome her unquestioning belief in authority figures and managed to work her way through (Buckbeak!) and question how things 'are done' in the wizarding world. If she finds out just what has been done to her (and other defenseless students) over the years, she'll be furious! Imagine what kind of person your Hermione could be without the constant manipulations of her person and her education in general (as I recall, the time-turner was organized by McGonagall, even though I'd never hand a 14-year-old something like that in the first place). Or how she (and her parents) will react if she ever finds out the mail has systematically been tampered with and that Dumbledore and the whole system are responsible for her ongoing estrangement with her parents.
Dumbledore has been stunting her on purpose for years. And Hagrid (and Myrtle in a way by ignoring the evidence of how she died). And who knows just who else, young and adult Snape being a likely candidate there.
Speaking of Snape, I wonder what that one has been told over the years of not just how Harry was raised ("our new celebrity"), but also of what he knew of certain magical fields (those questions Harry couldn't answer in his very first potions lesson and "clear your mind"). It raises the question of with what knowledge normal magical children arrive at Hogwarts and what kind of information is given to muggleborns. Harry had plain-incompetent-in-this-Hagrid-without-sufficient-knowledge-of-muggles-but-enthusiastic-nonetheless for his first contact and trip to Diagon Alley. A man who sent an eleven-year-old back to Surrey alone on a train (and who knows how far it is from the train station to Privet Drive) with a trunk, an owl, likely no muggle money, and no idea if the Dursleys ever got rescued from that Rock-in-the-Sea they were stuck on without a boat.
I am SO glad that Bill got Ron to safety. I just hope someone does the same for Hermione. As Ron has little drive to fit into the magical world, as he has always taken it fro granted, the spells Hermione and other muggleborns are affected by so strongly would have next to no effect on him. So, while at first glance it seems unusual that Ron is confronting Dumbledore in front of most of the Order, in that light and now that his best friend is missing, it might very well have been the straw that broke the camel's back. Ron has had enough. Just like Shacklebolt. Though the latter might have learned another valuable lessen there: brush up on or learn how to occlude.
*gleefull* I am so looking forward to to what conclusions the Bones' will come.
I really enjoyed that Tonks of all people is now head of the House of Black and that a lot of cases are now getting looked into and solved due to all that blackmail material getting processed by the authorities.
Will Kreature and Regulus come up now at some point? Who else has been 'restored' into the Black family? All those scorch marks on that tapistry . . .
I wonder what they'll find once Harry is to translate all those texts and inscriptions in parselscript. Won't be long until Daniel and Harry will inadvertently have created a dictionary of Parseltongue and extensive audio files for the spoken parts. While it isn't all that certain if a non-parselmouth can pronounce the language, a computer program shouldn't have that problem. I am really looking forward to the part when it becomes apparent that Harry can only Speak if he sees (or convincingly imagines to see) a real snake. *snicker* And what kind of questions that might rise.
Anyway, hope you'll update soon.
Moi
cato1850 chapter 16 . 6/7/2015
This is really good. Thank you for writing.
Palsville chapter 16 . 4/13/2015
Love your story. I've always thought SG1 and Harry Potter would make a good combo for a fanfic. Any plans to continue the story?
kittyranma chapter 16 . 3/29/2015
I love this series. I hope the author gets the muse back for it.
draconin chapter 16 . 1/19/2015
This is a well written and highly original story. If your muse strikes you again, please don't fight it!