Reviews for Stars and Topsoil
TheMadPuppy chapter 1 . 1/19/2009
As always, your metaphors are sublime. My two favorite parts:

"the truths living inside his lies"

...which is the absolute best way to put our impression that we're never quite sure he's lying, of how everything can be heard two ways.

"Her watery gaze scans and darts as her confidence and trust rises and retreats. He's already familiar with the motions of this internal dance as grains of nothing separate them, then oceans."

It's beautiful and it really gives the reader a powerful image to help relate to Steerpike, to feel what it's like to be with her. Reading it, I could sense it.

"And in those short and hushed minutes, for the first time Steerpike isn't isn't preoccupied with considering his next move, weighing variables, planning effective counters, and generally calculating how to take greatest advantage of the moment and all it chooses to unveil.""

Here! What I said about her soothing his insatiable hunger. And that's really the greatest effect you could have on Steerpike, isn't it? To stop him from calculating, scheming, plotting to turn everything in his advantage. Just...enjoy the moment.

I also found interesting how you said they were *both* frightened by the discovery that she has him. Of course it's menacing for him, but it also tells of how much she isn't accustomed to have any power, and/or how much she needs him to have the power, despite all this rank talk. "I'd feel much more secure if you have the power; just pretend I have it, to spare my aristocratic soul".

*clicks for next story in delirium of joy*
Kate chapter 1 . 3/4/2008
I'm coming to this late. This is so beautiful, your language is so evocative and tragic. It suits the mood of the book perfectly.
Melete chapter 1 . 2/18/2008
The last paragraph and sentence are wonderful...and devastating. You've captured that mystery so well...how does he feel? Does he feel? Where is his heart when it concerns Fuchsia? Is it only greed? Lovely story.
Mariagoner chapter 1 . 11/12/2007
Oh, seductive and lovely and wonderful way of playing around with the Steerpike/Fuschia I-hate-you-BECAUSE-I-love-you dynamic. Wonderfully written!