Reviews for Crash Course
ebfiddler chapter 1 . 1/21/2013
I've read all your stories, Slumming, and just wanted to let you know that I come back to this one again and again. There's so much about this one that's unique - the interesting and creative plot, the way you handle the reunion with the elder Tams, River's feelings about her family (both the one she grew up in and her new family), the difficult decisions and choices that the characters face, and yet you've not lost sight of the humor, either - all these things contribute to make it my favorite of your stories.
charmony chapter 20 . 7/27/2012
I have to admit, this is one of my favourite favs of yours. It has a little of everything in it, and I was excited to see how you worked the elder Tams into the story. I like that Zoe is ready to move on, and I particularly liked that little bit near the end here where Mal thanks Jayne for his work and how you described Jayne's reaction...well, I was actually getting a little emotionally moved. Well written, and the character progression is just amazing and perfect. Great job!
Marcus S. Lazarus chapter 20 . 3/8/2012
You just keep on maintaining the standards, don’t you?

The legal crisis of their time under ‘house arrest’ had a simple appeal to it due to the random nature of the whole affair and the crews’ complete reliance on others to help them out rather than being able to get themselves out of trouble, and your later ideas about the difference between Adam’s abilities when compared to River’s certainly makes sense.

Nice touch with Roberts as a character, on that topic; it might be easy to resent him because of WHAT he did- particularly given Inara’s later injury-, but you can’t fundamentally fault WHY he did it, since he clearly wasn’t entirely there rather than doing anything out of actual malice.

Jim’s introduction and recruitment to the crew seemed a bit sudden, but his ties to Anya at least gave him a reason for joining them (Even if I would have preferred to see more scenes with the two of them interacting; that’s one first meeting I would have REALLY liked to see), and subsequent developments after the accident in this story certainly give him a unique chance to contribute to the crew, no matter how complicated the circumstances and nature of his contribution might be.

Admittedly, I’m slightly surprised that there aren’t more means of repairing Mal’s kind of injury by this point- implants replacing the damaged nerves, that kind of thing-, but when it allows for such a shocking and dramatic reunion between the Tams and their parents, I’m certainly not about to complain about the circumstances that led to such a meeting (Even if I can’t believe anyone could have so little self-will that Regan would STILL contact her husband after all of River’s warnings).

A bit ambiguous about your new take on the Tam parents, but given that it’s almost ‘traditional’ to portray them as the bad guy in the equation you’re definitely to be admired for your decision to try something different, and in general the meeting with them works well, establishing a tentative bond even if they’re obviously on different sides of the tracks compared to the crew of ‘Serenity’.

Keep up the great work!
librarywitch chapter 20 . 8/17/2008
Totally shiny!
azarathangel chapter 20 . 3/30/2008
wow.. beautiful. simply beautiful. everything from start to finish was a work of art and it was all just right. -ash
Fififelicity chapter 20 . 3/28/2008
I loved this one, the way you did the reunion was perfect with emotions just as I would imagine them. I'm so glad the little ones are okay too. I thought Anya was spot on child wise, adorable and full of childish innocence, but I think perhaps Adam is even more perfect, his manner so resembles his father and yet remains childlike. I have definatly fallen hook line and sinker for your stories!
koiia-halo chapter 20 . 3/18/2008
Yay, finished it in two days. :D I got a lil' distracted from this story and I'm very happy that I remembered everything. As always a happy, believable ending.
meepscrawler chapter 20 . 11/3/2007
Yes! Seems I've fallen a bit behind on the storyline, but it's still as awesome as ever. I was bit worried for this crew for a while, there. Also, love the twist with Regan and Gabriel. Not often those two are shown as good guys.
garden-crafter chapter 20 . 10/25/2007
Shiny ! And too bad that it's over already !
garden-crafter chapter 18 . 10/25/2007
Great portrayal of Gabriel Tam - how he felt *trapped* (and powerless against Blue Sun) after making an unwise choice. And it explains WHY he never told his wife what he was REALLY thinking, and why he reacted the way he did to Simon's repeated complaints that there was something WRONG going on with River at the Academy. And

it's no wonder that he feels so much guilt over seeing Simon's anger towards him. This chapter showed a great illustration of how "the road to Hell is often paved with good intentions".
Amormoi chapter 20 . 10/18/2007
Oh my Crash course has quickly moved to the top of my favourites. This is fantastic. Keep up the high standard of your work can't wait to read more
Duk92 chapter 20 . 10/16/2007
Shiny! Another one finished! Can't wait for the next installment!
Whyt Wulf chapter 20 . 10/15/2007
I sure hope there will be other stories to tell! You can't just reintroduce the Tams to their parents, stick Mal in a wheelchair, and then end the story! You're so cruel to your readers! Oops, that was my inside voice coming out. What I meant to say was, that was wonderful. Bravo!
CanadianAbby chapter 20 . 10/15/2007
I came across your story about a week ago and have been enthralled! I usually don't like Mal/River and especially Jayne/Inara, but I loved this. Went back to the first story and read through the whole series. Looking forward to your next fic.
edenfalls81 chapter 20 . 10/15/2007
Loved it! Great ending, can't wait to read whatever you come up with next!