Reviews for It's Never Too Late
VVine chapter 31 . 3/21
Terrific job on a very difficult topic. Nice growth in the story :) thank you
RhoJ chapter 32 . 11/25/2014
Wow, thanks for this story. You are a great storyteller.
Tammy chapter 32 . 8/25/2014
I really enjoyed this story kept me interested thru the whole story great job.
Anonymous chapter 32 . 8/17/2014
Great story!
deviates322 chapter 31 . 5/9/2014
I just wanted to tell you how much I love this story and The Distraction. I've read both several times now. Definitely two of my favorites!
First Generation Scot chapter 32 . 4/7/2014
Just re-read this again. What a wonderful, wonderful story!
mcrmyrangerbabe chapter 1 . 10/11/2013
yeah this, been here , re visit occasionally , often wondered how steph wasn't staring down into this abyss before. , those two songs - plus papa roach last resort and jimmy eat world - the middle. to get out of it and claw the way back - my chemical romance welcome to the black parade and famous last words or any of their other songs..
Guest chapter 5 . 9/8/2013
I'm hooked on your story. And skydiving can most definitely make a person feel alive; it's amazing! The skydive scene in the movie Point Break is about as close to the experience as a person can get w/out actually doing it.
alix33 chapter 32 . 9/1/2013
"What about us? What about what makes your family happy?" She had stood her ground. "I've spent my entire life worrying about what you and everybody else thinks. Never again, Mother. I'm an adult and this is my life. If you don't like it, tough." When her mother opened her mouth to argue, she had held up her hand. "I'm not going to stand here and listen to this. I told you as a common courtesy and nothing more. I'm moving to Miami with Ranger. We're getting married down there, the way we want to. If that's a problem for you, then you can stay here in Trenton and tipple to your heart's content." - Yay! for every syllable out of Stephanie's mouth there.
"I was terrified when you were gone all those weeks. It may sound selfish, but I wasn't just worried about you. I was worried about myself." - Ellen Plum, you have a craptastic way of showing worry.
"Children aren't supposed to move away here. They're supposed to get married and move into the house down the street and have babies and borrow your pot roast recipe. That's why I wanted you to marry Joseph. You would have moved into his house and quit that job and had his children. You would have called me on the phone for my pineapple upside down cake recipe and you and Joseph and your children would come here for holiday dinners." Stephanie couldn't physically form words. She was trapped between rage for her mother's preferences and selfishness and pity for her plans crumbling at her feet. "I wasn't happy when Valerie got divorced, but she eventually got married again and had another baby and got the house in the Burg," Ellen continued, her gaze never wavering from her clasped hands. "I wanted that from you. If you move to Miami, that will never happen. Ranger's not Joseph. He's not from the Burg. With him, I won't be able to have you here and available." "Even if I wasn't moving away, I wouldn't live that life you want, Mom," Stephanie finally spoke up. "I don't want the Burg. I don't want a mini van and spotless windows and two point five kids. I don't want the P.T.A. and pot roasts. What you were expecting and planning for was never going to happen." Ellen finally looked up, her eyes red and watery. "Is it so bad to live that life, Stephanie? Is it so bad to want those things for you?" Stephanie reached out to grip her mother's hand. Their eyes met and held. "That life would have killed me, Mom. It almost did. This place…these rules…it's all too much for me. Please understand that I have to live my life for me. Not for anybody else."- EW! for every syllable out of Ellen Plum's mouth.
"The family that Stephanie had gained through Ranger had been more supportive of her than her biological family. She felt bad for thinking it, but who needed Ellen Plum and the Burg when you had Ranger and the Merry Men? - Yay!
"Stephanie had been amazed at how much fun it could be shopping for wedding dresses. Everything seemed so much better without her mother and the Burg putting in their two cents." - Yay!
"Even Ellen Plum behaved herself, biting her tongue about her daughter's choice of dress and even though it was hard, she kept her mouth shut about the lack of a church and a priest. She seemed to know that if she made any snide comments or selfish demands, that she would never be invited to her daughter's home again." - Yay!
"Not long after they returned from their honeymoon, Raphael's trial began. The lawyers had found seventeen women total who claimed that he had raped them within the last five years. A few of those women had been minors at the time. There were more before that, but the statute of limitations had run out on their cases. Ranger had been stunned and sickened and the rest of the Manosos had disowned Raphael." - Those poor women!
"They sat in that courtroom and watched as Mariela stood up and walked toward the partition separating her from her son. Raphael turned around, his eyes meeting hers as the guards cuffed his wrists and shackled his ankles. They stared at each other for a long moment until Mariela spit in his face, her eyes a mask of fury. "You are dead to me." For the first time, Raphael's eyes showed emotion other than anger and cockiness. They watered and true grief etched across his face. His family had disowned him. He was alone in the world. Stephanie found that she couldn't find an ounce of pity for the man." - I couldn't either.
alix33 chapter 29 . 9/1/2013
"Stephanie had sucked it up and gone to dinner at her parent's house." - "her parents' house".
"The only mention of Morelli was when Grandma Mazur announced that he was transferring to Chicago. Stephanie had been shocked by the news, but she was relieved. She didn't want to spend her entire life avoiding him." - A very relieved Phew! on Stephanie's behalf.
"And then Ranger called to ask her to join him for dinner at his parent's house that coming Sunday." - "his parents' house".
alix33 chapter 28 . 9/1/2013
That yelling Vinnie douchebag IMO needs vindictive Stephanie unleashed on him.
alix33 chapter 27 . 9/1/2013
"There were so many buildings that it felt like it's own village." - "it felt like its own village".
"Their personalities complimented each other so well that it was a joy to just sit back and watch." - "personalities complemented each other".
"Julie giggled, her dark eyes sparkling. "Sinkholes can pop up anywhere, silly! Even in Trenton." Stephanie shuddered at the thought. " - One very nearly did, if Stephanie did not decline Morelli's proposal.
alix33 chapter 26 . 9/1/2013
"They walked into the diner hand in hand and immediately found their table. Morelli's jaw clenched at the sight of their joined hands, but Ellen Plum's face was surprisingly void of any malice or disappointment. Instead, Stephanie was stunned to find worry and sadness in her mother's eyes. It was a sight that she couldn't ever remember seeing before. "Stephanie," Ellen went silent as Stephanie sat down in the chair across from her. "Mom." Stephanie glanced over at her ex boyfriend and gave him a curt nod. "Morelli." He looked pained at the name she called him. She could tell by the look in his eyes that he finally understood that they were over for good and nothing he could say would change that." - I wished there that Stephanie could call her mother something different too, to indicate distance.
"Stephanie," Ellen cleared her throat. "I've done a lot of thinking the past couple of nights…and I talked to Dr. Sandoval…" her voice cracked and she pulled back, reaching into her purse for a tissue. Stephanie watched in amazement as her mother wiped the tears from her eyes and blew her nose. It took a few minutes, but when Ellen Plum finally composed herself, she looked directly in her daughter's eyes and said," I'm sorry." "Huh?" Stephanie felt like an idiot, but she had never in her life heard her mother apologize for anything. Especially not to one of her children." - I am shocked out of my socks too.
"You're plane leaves in three hours." - "Your plane".
"you're woman is a little overheated with all the hot male bodies around her," - "your woman".
I hate (and all synonyms of hate) food fights, in RL, on TV or in fics in any of the fandoms I read, on account of some of my relatives actually going hungry in their childhoods and foods fights, to me, negate that suffering.
"Lester smirked at her and sat back down. "Bombshell just wanted to see us covered in food. That way, she can dream of licking us all clean tonight." "Dream on, Les," she said, giving him her most evil grin. "The only man I'd dream of licking clean is Ranger, and I don't have to dream about that. I can do that when I'm awake." The four Merry Men laughed and cheered and Ranger just flashed his sexiest grin. "Count on it, Babe." - Yum!
alix33 chapter 24 . 9/1/2013
"Everybody has their mouth's open screaming and their faces look so funny!" - "ahs their mouths open".
""I left my parent's house that night and walked around for hours." - "left my parents' house".
"I won't let you throw us away for some meaningless fuck," he hissed, pulling her closer. That was the last straw for Stephanie. She had been manhandled way too much lately and she was sick of it. "I. Said. Let. Me. Go." She shouted, using one of Ranger's self defense moves to break Joe's hold on her. When he reached for her again, her fist shot out, catching Joe in the eye. He stumbled back just as the door burst open and Ranger ran in, Tank and Lester right behind him. "You okay, Babe?" Ranger asked, amused at the sight of an injured Morelli. Stephanie stepped back, trembling from the new rush of adrenaline that was speeding through her veins. "I'm fine. Detective Morelli was just leaving." Ranger nodded and Tank and Lester moved forward, each grabbing one of Morelli's arms. "You just assaulted a police officer, Cupcake," Joe shouted, trying unsuccessfully to break away from the two huge men. "I can have you arrested!" "Give it a try, Morelli," Ranger said, pulling Stephanie into his arms. "And the Chief of Police here and in Trenton will both be getting copies of the video feed from this room. I'd say it was a clean and clear case of self defense." His eyes darkened as he stared at the cop. "Are you willing to lose your job over it, Detective?" - Yay! for RangeMen and video.
alix33 chapter 23 . 9/1/2013
"Stephanie snatched one up and bit into it, moaning in delight. Both men groaned. "Why is it every time you eat something you make those damn noises?" Lester complained, adjusting himself. "I swear one of these days you're going to bite into a doughnut and I'm gonna come in my pants like a fucking teenager." Stephanie blushed and Tank reached out to smack Lester in the back of the head. "Behave Santos." Lester smirked and nodded toward Tank's groin. "Don't get all smarmy, Tank. Looks like she's affecting you, too." Stephanie snuck a glance at Tank's crotch. Hmmm, his pants did look a little tighter… "Look away, Bombshell, look away," Tank ordered her, a grin on his face. "That's not somewhere you need to be looking." "I can't help the noises I make," she grumbled, taking another bite of her Boston cream. "And if you're gonna pick on me, you can both turn around and go find some work to do." Tank chuckled and sat down in Ranger's chair. "We're just teasing you, Steph. You know we love you." "You're lucky you brought me doughnuts," she muttered, sipping her coffee. "Otherwise, I might have to kick both your asses." Lester leered at her, his green eyes sparkling with mischief. "Bring it on, baby. I'd love for you to pin me. Especially if you make noises like that." If Stephanie weren't so protective of her doughnuts, she would have launched one at Lester's head. Instead, she finished the first one and reached in the bag for another. Locking eyes with Lester, she made a show of slowly biting into the sugary treat, licking her lips and moaning loudly. He groaned and sat up straighter, seemingly in pain, while Tank just burst out laughing. "Christ, Steph. You're evil." She swallowed and grinned, running her tongue over her lips to get up all the powdered sugar. "Don't fuck with a Jersey girl, Les. You can't handle it." "You're not a Jersey girl, you're a fucking bulldog," Lester mumbled. Stephanie grinned. "But you still love me." He managed a tiny grin. "Always." Feeling the warm fuzzies wash over her, she quickly finished her doughnut and handed the bag off to Tank and Lester, suddenly feeling generous." - I got the warm fuzzies bad from the friendship between Lester, Tank and Stephanie.
"Leo came in to inform them that there was a security breach at one of the client's homes." - "one of the clients' homes".
"Christian appeared by their side then, clearing his throat. Ranger looked up and slammed his blank face into place. "He's still unconscious. We need to get him to a hospital to get some X-rays." He glanced over at Stephanie and grinned slightly. "He might have a crushed testicle and his nose is broken in another spot." Ranger nodded, not really caring if his brother got medical help or not. If it were up to him, he'd dump his body in a shark tank. "Call Chief Latorrez and have him meet me in my apartment," he said to Lester. "I want two guards on Rafe at all times. When the police arrive to arrest him, I want you to follow the squad card to the jail and make sure he ends up behind bars. I don't want the bastard getting away. " - Yay!
"You're family will hate me if I send him to jail." - "Your family will".
"Is there a reason your tying my shoes for me?" - "you're tying my shoes".