Reviews for Evolutionary Imperative
Emmaline Gentilleschi chapter 1 . 7/18/2008
Wow. You really hit Sylar's character right on the head. Absolutely perfect. I love how you made the distinctions between Sylar and Gabriel and how the reader could see how one became the other. The great thing about Sylar is how dorky, scientififc and human he is and you captured all of these qualities wonderfully.

I really enjoyed the whole feel of this piece too. It feels so much like the show does, from the character, to the descriptions to the use of the song.

Speaking of the song, you used it perfectly. I love how the short lyrics broke up the fic and separated the different scenes and Creep is such a great song for Sylar. Once I recognized the song lyrics I couldn't get Creep out of my head, which was great because it served for such intense and perfect background music for this fic.

Loved it. Amazing write!
Me chapter 1 . 11/1/2007
I L-O-V-E-D it. It was well written and I could see it happening. You really caught his emotion and I think you hit his personality perfectly.
Squiggles.Candi chapter 1 . 11/1/2007
I thought it was pretty good. Yes, admittedly, I find it silly that the creators of Heroes thought Gabriel/Sylar should be religious (just makes people either pity him or fear him), but you did write it quite well. I didn't like how the bold sentences would break things up, your writing was very well paced and the scene-breaking was a distracting jold.

Other than that, awesome.
NoirStories chapter 1 . 9/30/2007
This fanfic is excellent. Your characterization of Sylar is just... amazing. _This_ is the way Sylar should be written in the fanfiction community. Nerdy, yet sinister. A man who believes that he needs to do what he does. However, deep down, Gabriel still exists somewhere in there.

I love it. By far my favorite Sylar oneshot.
OnyxRiver chapter 1 . 9/29/2007
VERY well done! Bravo!
sakuuya chapter 1 . 9/29/2007
You know, I've always thought "Creep" was the perfect song for Sylar. And you incorporated it so well! Most songfics are drowning in lyrics, to make up for the fact that the author really doesn't have anything to say. Using just those few lyrics as sort of chapter breaks, when you switched time frames, was absolutely genius. I especially liked that you didn't try to fit the whole song in, even if it does fit him ridiculously well.

I'm similarly impressed with your use of Six Months Ago quotes. Quoting from episodes is a tricky thing, but you handled it adroitly and even managed to slide your original scenes in so inobtrusively that it seems like they SHOULD be part of the episode.

Additionally, your characterization of Gabriel/Sylar is breathtaking, especially in the last section. Switching back and fourth between names is yet another thing that a lot of people don't do very well, and, once again, you rocked it. The way you used "Gabriel," toward the end, mostly to illustrate his horrified thought processes and "Sylar" for physical action really portrays his duality beautifully. And as for the characterization itself, you stayed on the perfect path between making Sylar a whiny loser and making him comic-book evil. It's like you're immune to every pitfall that normally trips up people who write Sylar fanfiction, and it's pretty damn amazing. I hope to see more great stuff from you in the future.
Duckie Nicks chapter 1 . 9/28/2007
Well, this is just gorgeous. I mean really there's almost nothing else to say. But naturally, I'll gush some more.

For the record, THIS is how everyone should incorporate music into their fic. Seriously, it's not the main focus, and it's not something random. The lyrics you chose are an integral part of the fic, and they seem tailor made for Sylar's character.

Which, by the way, you have down completely. I love the subtle differences between Gabriel and Sylar, and how that transition happened. It's very well done. And also, I like how you manage to incorporate so much emotion into everything he does.

But at the same time, he's not snivelling or weak. You definitely keep the fact that he steals brains. I imagine that this is probably a very tight rope to walk - between showing his fears/weaknesses and making him weak and between making him dark and making him ridiculously evil. Not many writers could probably do that well; the show definitely does, and you do too.

As for the action, sometimes, works based on actual scenes feel dead to me. But now here. The dialogue you lifted fits in perfectly, and honestly, you wouldn't even need to see the scene to know everything that was going on in Sylar's mind. You just capture every detail so richly. And none of it feels forced or fake or lame.

This is really just incredible.