Reviews for The Art of Making Friends
AngelWings8 chapter 1 . 1/8/2011
Awww. Just, lots of 'aww'.
spinningleaves chapter 1 . 8/6/2009
Aw! I love the pretty boy comment and image of Lee slowly being lured into pyramid games and the rest. Great piece!
Darthme1011 chapter 1 . 1/17/2008
me like more
achingankle chapter 1 . 12/28/2007
I enjoyed seeing some of Karas past, and really liked her friendship with Karl. I'l not a Lee/Kara fan, but this is a sweet friendship story!
SG1SamFan chapter 1 . 10/8/2007
This was so cute! You wrote Lee/Kara and Kara&Karl at their finest. The dialogue was hilarious and so in-character the characters might as well be living the hiatus in your head. I can't write all the things I liked or this would be an even longer review, so I'll just pick a few of my favorites:

-The name "Rena Shaw" for a snobby character

-"'I’m beginning to doubt he exists at all,' said Kara. She looked at the other half of the room, the neatly made bed which looked as if it was never slept in, the textbooks stacked precisely on the desk. 'I mean, who lives like that?' There were no personal possessions, no everyday clutter…it was unnatural. 'I think you made him up so you could get a room to yourself.'" Oh, that's classic Lee if I've ever seen it. :)

-"Karl rolled his eyes and threw a lollipop at her." What a funny, accurate detail to make Karl jump off the page. Excellent choice.

-"She launched into a tirade before Karl had fully opened the door. 'Karl, you will not believe what that bitch just did-'

"She broke off, realising she was staring at thin air. She moved her gaze downwards to meet a pair of cool blue eyes.

"'You’re not Karl.'" Hehe! Wee!Lee. *So* funny. Another wonderful detail.

-"Much to Kara’s surprise, Lee Adama did come to the bar the following week for Karl’s birthday. Even more surprisingly, after chatting to Karl for a few minutes, greeting some other cadets and dodging a drunken girl who tried to hug him, he headed straight for the spot where Kara was propping up the bar.

"Not that she was watching him or anything." Hah! Loved that. I literally laughed out loud.

-"'Yes, but…you do realise that Tauron Spark is far better value? It has a much higher alcohol percentage per measure-'

"Kara burst out laughing. 'Gods, you really are a nerd, aren’t you? I’ll have Aerilon Fire. It tastes better.'" That was hilarious, and so true.

-The phrase "for Artemis’ sake"

-The entire pencil snapping scene, especially "'I could prosecute you if I wanted.'" Laughed out loud there. You kept the flow of the scene well by eliminating almost all description, and it gave it a back-and-forth tennis match feel, if you understand what I mean. I also liked when you had the dialogue describe what was happening, like when Kara said, "'There’s no need to shout.'" You made the scene clear with almost no description, and it was clear which character was speaking by the manner of speech and the opposing points-of-view in the argument.

-"He slid something across the desk towards her. 'Here, Kara, you can have this.' He hadn’t used her first name before.

"Kara looked down to see a shiny red pencil, freshly sharpened.

"She bit her lip. 'Thanks, Lee.'

"He was watching her with a half smile. 'Does that mean you’re not going to prosecute me?'"

I liked that you noted his use of her first name and her biting her lip. Someone's falling-two someones. :D

-"He worked well with her, too. He seemed to understand what was going through her head, passing the ball at just the right moment to set up her shots. It was almost uncanny." So true.

-The entire last part, but especially, "Kara had never seen him laugh properly before. It lit up his whole face, banishing his usual cool reserve and transforming him into someone warm and approachable. She felt something twist in her stomach." I giggled when she threw the washcloth at him. [Just so you know, "flannel" (instead of "washcloth"), "swot", and often "match" (instead of "game"), are British-isms. I didn't have any trouble understanding what was going on, but you might want to be conscious of it as the one and only little problem you sometimes have with characterization.]

-"And from that evening onwards Kara Thrace had two friends." A sweet but not cliché line to end the fic.

One more little nitpick: I thought it was probably out-of-character for Kara to jump when Karl startled her. I just don't think it fit with your characterization of her in the rest of the story. Just a tiny thing. :)

Overall, this is one of my favorites of yours. I'm sorry RL's keeping you busy right now because I miss my semi-weekly updates, but I'm glad you found the time to write this little gem.

Thanks for a lovely piece!

Em ;)
karaleefan chapter 1 . 10/8/2007
I just have to say, I've probably read all you stories about kara/lee...You are by far the best kara/lee story writer EVER...and this story is no exception. Great Job!
AmyBeckett chapter 1 . 10/7/2007
That was cute, and great, and so appropriate for those 3. :) thanks for the fic. I still find it funny that there is no cannon on if she meet Lee or Zac first.
fandomorama chapter 1 . 10/6/2007
Aw pretty!

I love it :D can i get to see Lee and Kara frak around a little more! Keep writing :D
xan-merrick chapter 1 . 10/6/2007
great start can't wait for your next update
angeljean1 chapter 1 . 10/4/2007
The scene where Lee is first tutoring Kara made me laugh out loud. You have a gift with dialogue and a true insight into the personalities of your characters. Keep the chapters coming!
montogma chapter 1 . 10/4/2007
aw..kara meeting karl and lee for the first was a really great input about lee and his dad's forward to the next chapter.
Civil Orange chapter 1 . 10/4/2007
Great start for a story - light and fun, but with lots of potential to develop into something more serious, too.

I'll begin with the beginning (wow, consistent, aren't I?): unusual characterization there, not only emphasizing Kara's insecurities, but actually making her aware of them. Very insightful.

For the next part I want to congratulate you on introducing Helo into the story before Lee - it's way more realistic they would make friends first, and most academy fics tend to ignore Helo completely, out of mere laziness. I also found it interesting how Kara seems kind of innocent - learning to play Triad, being surprised at Karl calling her his friend. I haven't quite managed to decide if it's credible or out of character...

The Rena character is fairly well developed, but I missed some dialogue there to make the conflict clearer - your story is a bit too descriptive at that point, in my opinion.

Apart from that minor scene, your storyline is very compelling and has a nice flow to it. Congratulations again on not moving on too fast and keeping Kara's initial reaction to Lee strictly to annoyance. Usually authors turn this into instant attraction, so good for you for breaking with tradition.

I was a bit concerned at first because your description of Lee's obsessive neatness is kind of cliché, so I was pleasantly surprised when you lightened his character up a little in the bar scene.

Your pure dialogue scene is very well written - it's hard to make the conversation easy to follow while keeping the dialogue natural, but yours worked well. Only thing I have to criticize is that Kara appears to be stupid rather than uninterested, which doesn't fit her real character - she might not be as academic as Lee, but I never got the impression from the TV series that she's not equally intelligent.

Nevertheless, the pen fight is hilariously random and lightens up the story nicely, just as the apology scene is very sweet (not cheesy!).

I'll skip to the fistfight now. Here I thought you might have incorporated Kara's semi-drunk state of mind into your style, just go into more detail about the whole incident and make it clearer she doesn't quite realize what's going on.

"She left the bar and wandered back towards D Barracks, tossing a cubit in the air and laughing as it slipped through her fingers. Then three of her triad opponents emerged from the shadows and cornered her against the wall of the library."

See what I mean? It's a bit bare.

On the contrary, the following conversation between Kara and Lee was very well written, not over-emotional but nice and subtle. The dialogue is excellent and the whole scene is just incredibly sweet, for lack of a better word. Well done!

To end an overly long review: I'm looking forward to reading more of this, so keep writing! I hope you found this review helpful (I tend to be very critical, so let me say again that on the whole I really liked your story, despite my criticism). Thanks for a great read!

Yours sincerely,

Civil Orange
JacobedRose chapter 1 . 10/4/2007
I absolutely loved it! Great job on the characters and the interactions! Thanks for posting it!
arielmoondance chapter 1 . 10/4/2007
Wonderful! Are you going to continue this at all?

Near the end Kara says "swot" and I am not sure if that is a typo...

Thanks for sharing!
cherylad chapter 1 . 10/3/2007
Thanks so much for this story!

I love academy fics .. and live friends back story fics!

Great job.