Reviews for A Mask and a Song
Auua Ytjoml chapter 4 . 4/21/2009
Martins tears made me cry to. It's a good writer that can play with their audiences emotions. Keep it up.
Lord Vrel chapter 14 . 4/14/2009
Good grammar, Awesomful storyline, but it moved along a bit to quick for me. Rassk is now one of my favorite villains, he is quite unique. I do have a few questions: How would a head injury affect Rose so that she couldn't have children? What does "Flurem woo-es" mean? And who put the bop in the bop-she-bop-she-bop? Okay, sorry, that last one was really cliche.

Lokking forward to reading the sequel!
Hera Ledro chapter 14 . 2/21/2009
Alright, just because this is an epic story, I'll ignore typos and the like (sparse as they were; awesome job!).

This is a very original story, one which I am very glad I laid eye on (...my writer's block is particularly nasty today; please forgive that wretched phrase). The original characters (esp. Rassk) are very well-done, yet you capture what I feel is the true essence of Brian Jacques lessons: becoming a warrior.

However, in this and Winter's Flowers (which I shall review later), you illustrate the idea of warrior in a different, less bloody light than Jacques, and I think you hit quite a good method of doing so. Being a warrior is standing up for what you believe in (impo), no matter the cost to yourself. However, this doesn't always involve violence: you paint the idea of a warrior in the light of love, something which is unfortunately overlooked most of the time. Love is often more powerful than a sword, and many writers fail to recognize that. I love how you've taken such a wonderful thing and made it to define the warrior, whether you did so intentionally or not.

I also want to address the notion of the unoriginal characters here, such as Martin, Gonff, and Columbine. Top hole writing all around, I'd say; you did a spiffing job of staying in-character, while adding a bit of your own flair in their dialogue and speech. It was a little disappointing how Jacques allowed his characters to flit from one emotion to the next with little stimulus. You remedy that error quite well; the only exception is Gonff, and it's his nature to flit from one emotion to another like he does.

A perfect ten, without a doubt. Naturally, there are some silly typos around (in Winter's Flowers, for example, you use the word 'rappeled'; it's REPELLED), but the story is so good that it goes beyond balancing them out.

So great job mate! Look for my equally shining review on Winter's Flowers, since I LOVE that one!

Sincerely,

Jon
gone1234567890 chapter 2 . 12/21/2008
Interesting. I'll want to read more when you post it. I really like how you wrote it in true Brian Jacques fashion. This will be fun to read.

willowgrace
Immortal Longings chapter 14 . 11/7/2008
*Whoops*

That, I do believe was the best Rose-didn't-die story I've ever read! As promised, I've read it, and I'm saving Winter's Flowers for a treat after I get the next chapter in my Mattimeo story done with.

The whole story was very lively, and I was smiling the whole way through. Well done. I hope that Winter's Flowers is even half as good!

-Immortal Longings-
Foeseeker chapter 14 . 9/16/2008
Wow! are you Brian Jacques in disguise or something? This was increddible!
elecktrum chapter 14 . 7/26/2008
Oh, goody! A kidnapping! Plunging into the next adventure is the perfect way to wrap up this story. Bravo Zulu!
elecktrum chapter 13 . 7/26/2008
Lovely poem, but what's with the ending? A bit of foreshadowing, mayhap? (I hope!) And what on earth is Flurem Woo-es?
elecktrum chapter 11 . 7/26/2008
Ha! I was right! I expected Rose, and the way you presented her survival was not unreasonable. While their reunion was sugary, it was well within in character (my only complaint being Rose uttering 'Wow!' at one point - it seemed out of place and character to me, but I can deal with a single word) and really, what else could such a reunion of lovers be but sweet? Anything less would have been disappointing.
elecktrum chapter 10 . 7/26/2008
I think what I enjoyed most about this chapter was the fact that Martin was able to give Gonff a scare big enough to make him stop horsing around for a moment or two. I'm glad it didn't last too long, though.
elecktrum chapter 9 . 7/26/2008
Nice! I for one would have liked the battle to last longer, but as you well know I'm just like that and I love a good fight. It just seems the fight was over too easily and quickly (though Rassk is still kicking, so I'm hoping for a bit more action). Still, all the action suited the story well and it was heartening to see the peaceful Noonvale dwellers lending a hand in the battle. The Silent Slavers made the mistake of depending on terror and reputation too much - both are useless when your enemy doesn't know or care about such things. Rassk should have let them use a greater variety of weapons - at least then they would have had a better clue how to defend themselves against a pack of gung-ho otters!
elecktrum chapter 8 . 7/26/2008
Ah! Nothing like a good, old-fashioned donnybrook to get the heart thumping!
elecktrum chapter 7 . 7/26/2008
Woo-hoo! The cavalry has arrived!
elecktrum chapter 6 . 7/26/2008
Filler it may be, but I see filler chapters as opportunities to develop the characters and situations. This was nicely done in that it was lighthearted and gave us some banter and interaction that firmly establishes the characters and their relationships. I especially enjoyed Gonff's high spirits.
elecktrum chapter 5 . 7/26/2008
Brome's anxiety was well written. It was good to see him take action - he strikes as the kind that needs to be working on changing the situation versus waiting for something to happen. The Vigil Keeper is intriguing and I have my suspicions, but I'll wait and see if I'm right.
163 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 .. Last Next »