Reviews for A Friend Indeed
SNRomance chapter 2 . 8/21
In terms of not dating siblings, it's more of a 'you hurt them, I hurt/kill you' as most people are overprotective of their siblings and of any hurt that comes the siblings way. Dating presents a higher chance of the sibling being hurt because relationships frequently don't end well. So it puts the friend in a awkward place if they break up because the friend sibling would be angry over the partner sibling being hurt by the friend, or the other way round. Either way, it causes issues so its generally avoided where possible..
in all country you don't date your best friend sister with out talking to them, in American you don't ask any guy. and harry did not even talk to him about it. like a normal person.
ron not there with his family on Christmas and no one cares man his family sucks.
ron had a reason to be worried ron was right to ask what happen the twins are just bullies.
how come in 6 year, hermoine attack ron with birds marking up his face and she stop talking to him, but no one ever said how wrong she was. because ron was not her boyfriend they did not have a date and he did not know she like him. so he did nothing wrong.
just two much ron is worthless first you don't have to repeat a grade the only one that matter are new and owls, but it just seem like they just throw ron away like he was trash.
Rebmul chapter 6 . 6/22
hehe this was good the only other fic I know of that has rita crushed like that is one where harry and super girl are at the dance I loved the ending and draco being accused of being gay
GinnyPotter6891 chapter 6 . 6/10
Love it, and the way you skipped the extraneous days between signifivpcant happenings! Off to read some more of your work.
missgsmith51 chapter 6 . 3/27
While I agree that Malfoy needed to be taken down a few pegs, the chosen method left a really bad taste in my mouth. As a retired teacher, I'm appalled that the professors allowed it and stunned that Dumbledore, whose character was revealed to be gay, would have smiled at that particular bit of taunting. Such comments would be considered bullying and sexual harassment in our schools, and students have been suspended and even expelled for participating in such things these days. (Then again, Dumbledore is pretty blasé about bullying and rarely punishes it.)

While the behavior is typical of Malfoy, I don't think Harry or Neville would ever stoop to mock even a creep like Draco based on sexual orientation. They would be far more likely to focus on his DE parents and relatives, his ridiculous Pureblood attitudes, and the fact that he is continually bested in every way by the person he considers inferior (Hermione). The revelation that Harry felt sorrow over the surviving children and families of the dead DEs, following the purge, shows a level of compassion and humanity that seems inconsistent with the taunting incident.

I can't say I'm surprised by Fudge. Several years ago, following the release of book 5, I read an essay titled "Cornelius Fudge - Death Eater or Dimwit?" over on Mugglenet. I remember thinking, Why can't he be both? I actually felt there was plenty of evidence for it.

I'm surprised that Dumbledore forgot about Snape in the end. Then again, I can't help wondering ... If Snape had truly changed his loyalties, would the Mark still have controlled him? Is it possible he escaped the purge and simply disappeared?

Anyway, thanks for sharing your story. I enjoyed reading it.
missgsmith51 chapter 5 . 3/27
I agree with your note, for the most part. I still think Dumbledore will be able to make trouble for Harry, intentionally or not, with the Horcrux hunt. Unless some more efficient precautions are taken, Dumbledore is sure to have the same trouble with the Ring Horcrux, which means he could still die by the end of the year.

Harry also still has the soul bit in his head, and that needs to be removed and destroyed, as well. Perhaps you could do a one-shot flashback explaining how all of the Horcruxes were finally destroyed and what happened to everyone (former DEs included) involved.
missgsmith51 chapter 4 . 3/27
It was pretty gutsy of Neville to take Ginny's place in the second task. I'm glad Harry spoke up about his lack of faith in Dumbledore's ability (or desire, perhaps?) to protect him and his friends. By attempting to use Ginny despite her refusal and Harry's concerns, I feel he behaved disgracefully. He knows Harry was forced into the competition against his will, and he must realize it was for nefarious purposes. Therefore, he should have given Harry some latitude in this instance. I can't believe he didn't even have the Weasleys' permission to use Ginny. Had he taken her after being denied initially, I think he could have been charged with abduction. The way he plays with people's lives is disturbing.

"Even the news about Barty Crouch Sr. and Jr., while interesting, did not seem that useful." What news? I've been interrupted several times this evening as I've been reading, but I don't remember reading about Crouch, Jr.

"All four of them were doing well, but Harry was doing the best, somewhat to the disappointment of Hermione as she tried to keep up." Hermione really doesn't like being second best, does she?

I like Ginny's necklaces. Smart girl! I suppose she will hear the entire graveyard business, as I can't imagine Harry will escape that.
missgsmith51 chapter 3 . 3/27
"Exactly what are you apologizing for, Ron?"

"I'm sorry for all the rude comments I made to you. I'm sorry for trying to hit you. I'm sorry for trying to stop you from dating Ginny. YOU MAY DATE HER, but I'd prefer not to know about it."

After a moment, Harry nodded and said, "I'll accept your apology for those things, as long as you never do them again." It was clear that while Harry accepted the apology offered, he was still bothered by something lacking from the list. ********

It's mighty magnanimous of Ron to *allow* Harry to date Ginny. (Said with a great deal of sarcasm.) I still don't understand why he thinks he has a right to say who Ginny dates. Unfortunately, the subtext of Harry's acceptance of Ron's apology - that there is something much more significant for which he needs to apologize - completely eluded Ron. Honestly, I think the things for which Ron did apologize pale in importance compared to his savaging Harry's integrity and calling him a liar. I'm not sure that is something Harry will ever get past. If Ron ever truly grasps what he has done and sincerely asks for Harry's forgiveness, Harry probably will forgive ... but I doubt he will ever forget, and there will never be real trust between them again. JM2K.
*******
"Harry, I admire your courage to switch to a more respectable subject, but you can't join my class. You're a year and a half behind." Sometimes Hermione irritates me. I only wish Harry actually HAD been admitted to her class by the professor, just to see her superior and rather arrogant attitude punctured. I like Hermione, but her assumption that she knows better than everyone else is colossally annoying. You have really nailed to a T that little flaw in her character!
missgsmith51 chapter 2 . 3/27
I really didn't think it was possible for Ron to be worse than he usually is, but I think you've managed it. He has surpassed his usual "gittishness" and become an absolute boor. Frankly, I hope McGonagall suspends or even expels him. I daresay that if Dumbledore puts him at the bottom of Black Lake in a misguided attempt to recover the friendship, Harry might just leave him there. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I can't wait to see what McGonagall has to say to Ron in the morning.
missgsmith51 chapter 1 . 3/27
Normally, I'm not a Harry-Ginny fan, but it's because I never really saw a foundation for their relationship. I have other issues with their 'ship in canon, but they aren't pertinent here. The issue here is that, because YOU like them, you have fleshed out Ginny and made her a dynamic, three-dimensional character. This reader, at least, can care about and root for her.

I also like Hermione and Neville as a pairing. I don't see that particular one often; but it is nice to see Hermione with someone who likes and respects her and sees her as more than someone to be used for homework help. There is a quiet dignity and nobility to Neville's character, despite his being (IMO) very underused in canon. I hope he and Hermione work out.
TheWateringWizard chapter 6 . 2/9
The Malfoy roast was excellent! Lavender absolutely killed it for me!
Great ending! I loved Harry and Ginny! I also immensely appreciated the fact that, even with a rocky start, they got along well with Dumbledore. It seems that all the stories I read contain a very manipulative and uncaring Dumbledore. I think the fact that he was able to intervene during the graveyard and the subsequent capture of Pettigrew and Voldy helped because the weight of the prophecy was gone.
In the end I loved your story. It's 60k words but it seems so much longer. As I said many times I love your portrail of Ginny and the relationship Harry and Ginny had in your story. I'll be sure to read your story again when I need good feels and I have a few hours in front of me!