Reviews for Unfurl
spotless-mind chapter 5 . 7/1/2009
Just started reading this series, and I have to say it's pretty good. I love the descriptions.

Being a Latin major, I have to say that your google Latin is rather atrocious. Here are some better translations:

Incliamo nostros capitos - Let us bow our heads

Permissum is a noun meaning "permission", not a verb.

Nos means "our", but this is in the nominative case which would mean that Our Heads would need to be the subject. Nostrum is the accusative singular, which is the right case for how you want your sentence. It is also the wrong number, because you are talking about heads plural.

Inflecto is the 1st person present means "to bow", but more in the sense of bending.

Capitis is the genitive of Caput. When "head" is defined as "caput, capitis", this means that it is telling you which declension the noun is in, and how the stem changes depending on how the word will be used. You want it in accusative plural (direct object), which is capitos

meus caput inclinus est - my head is bowed

"Est Pandus" has no real meaning. Est means "it is", and pandus is an adjective meaning "bowed". The perfect tense form in Latin for "is bowed" would be inclinus est, although you could use another verb if you were so inclined.

Est perfectus - It is perfect

Perficio is a verb that means "to accomplish"

iustus means "just" in the way that a law is just

Also, I think it was in your story "Area Codes", Sam would have graduated Summa Cum Lauda (With great praise), not Suma Cum Latah.
TuckerCat chapter 7 . 10/23/2008
Again, a great story and I am glad you wrote more in the 'verse. I am hoping for a good ending because I always do and I love the brothers connection. Thanks for showing them working to stay brothers.
doyouqueue chapter 7 . 9/7/2008
oh that was beautiful, i didnt want it to end! hehehe i didnt notice that this was the last chapter of this story and i cursed out loud when i saw that it was, my grandparents were in the same room with me hehe. had to Sammyfi them with puppy eyes... and then blame my brother :D...

anyways, thanks for this awesome story, gonna go read something else by you now...

ahh older brothers, they always "fix it" even when theyre not in the same room.

;)
Nvrmore chapter 7 . 7/25/2008
Whew!

Another awesome story in this verse. So glad you continued it!

Amazing job putting so much emotion into the story. (and fascinating how someone so guarded - Dean - can still be emo. ;) )

Loving it. And saw there was at least one more story (so far?), so I'll be off to read that later.

Simply wonderful.
Diana chapter 7 . 6/5/2008
I love this 'verse and I had read the first two stories and I'm so glad I stumbled on to the sequels when they were rec'd at TWOP. Please write some more, pretty please?
SciFiNutTX chapter 7 . 4/17/2008
I've read through I think all of the 'A Beer' verse stories and really enjoyed them! I wish there were more.
solo23 chapter 7 . 1/12/2008
I love this series! I hope you write more with it
cheesewizpants24 chapter 7 . 12/31/2007
I love this story! I love this ending! Now I wish to say "I love this epilogue" But I can't yet. (Insert sad Sammy puppy doy eyes here)
Shannz chapter 7 . 12/22/2007
I've come across this verse a lot since i've found this fandom. I've steered clear of it just because I don't care for the timeline and any fics that feature Jess as a main part of the story. I honestly don't know what made me click on 'Area Codes' when I found it on someone else's favorites. I think it was the fact that i'd seen various fics from this verse fave'd by others as well. Anyways - I decided to give it a try :) And here I am.

I am so glad that I did. I think it was more your style of writing than the content that I fell in love with first...though the other certainly was not far behind. I've come across wonderful authors in this fandom but few who actually manage to really get into the head of the characters and write them well enough so that a reader feels they have that intimate connection with both Sam and Dean. You do that. And you do it beautifully.

I tend to really enjoy a look at the boys through the eyes of others, another reason that 'Area Codes' drew me in and the first chapter or two of 'A beer.' I so did not want this to turn into a fic that had Dean all pathetic and not able to cope with Sam gone. I despise even the thought of that and cannot stomach reading anything along that line. So - I was happy that you did no such thing. I'm more of a Dean girl but I appreciate Sam on many levels. Both boys are so well written- with equal insight into both. I absolutely love that Sam is so adamant about including Dean in his life. And Jess...well, lets just say that I am completely blown away by your interpretation of her. As a previous reviewer said - she is a strong presence here - in a good way. She's not overly done at all and is someone who is worthy of Sam's love and Dean's approval. I like her. She's not sugar-coated at all.

I hope there is more to come in this series. This particular fic has me a little worried and is very appropriately titled. It really does feel as if everything is beginning to unfurl and that the boys are headed to a precipice that will change everything. I'm curious as to your interpretation of events in canon and how it will affect things here.

Quick mention about John, too - I'm a John fan. Hate it when he is trashed so onesidedly(is that a word?) :) I was very pleased in the story before this one when we got to really 'see' John. You wrote him...fair. Which is good. He merely is what he is with both good points and bad. You were very fair in your assessment of him. He's a hard-ass, no doubt. But you showed his concern when Dean was hurt and the mere fact that he drove Dean to Sams' wedding said A LOT. I approve of your John :D I know, not that you care in the least, lol. Just thought i'd let you know that.

So, off I go to check out some of your other work that is not in this verse. I don't always get a chance to review so when I do - I try to make them good. So don't worry if I don't get a chance to review your other work :) I'm already in love with your writing style. I'm sure they'll be great. Have a Merry Christmas!

-shan
cellia chapter 7 . 12/17/2007
This whole "universe" is quite amazing and compelling. It just keeps getting better and better. I love how Sam and Dean and Jess are portrayed and how they react to everything. Jess is such a strong and great character in this story. Jess' psych skills must sure be coming in handy! I loved the bit where she confronted their friends and said how they'd all been so lucky.

I especially liked this bit:

"His question was met with silence and Dean felt a fissure of anger run across his control. He hadn't wanted to come to this in the first place, had known it was a bad idea from the start. If you didn’t want two worlds to mix, the best and most obvious solution was to stop mixing them."

You keep ramping up the tension and I wonder how much longer Dean (and Sam to some extent) can be split between 2 worlds... or if he'll find a blending in some type of set up like Bobby or Ellen and Jo.

And that Sam was the "baby" (as in many ways Dean was his mom). Aw!

I do wonder that Sam's friends seem so dull. They really don't seem all that awesome or interesting... I sometime had trouble remembering who was who and only a few have characteristics that stand out. While I suppose that having uktra-bland perfect middle-class friends fits with the idea that Sam was mostly interested in "ultra-normal" people who were upfront with everything (who could be, since they had nothing to hide)... not everyone who doesn't hunt down supernatural things is ultra-normal or or has no tragedy or closed-minded about unusual things/people (and paired off in ultra-healthy relationships). It seems not quite healthy that Sam hasn't made some friends who share at least a few mental scars/quirks in common. I do love Jess' sister, though. She's a total brat, but a very insteresting character with her own things going on.

I'm very interested in the idea that Sam's also starting to feel the wear of "playing a role." And I also can't help but wonder if everyone's lives will remain untouched by supernatural baddies. (If I were Sam I would totally stick some salt under the floormats... just 'cuz I'm not a policeman is no reason not to lock the door!)

Anyway, this series is quite awesome and I'm pretty addicted. I have so many favorite parts (oh man, when Dean learned that his brother was engaged *sniffle*) and I love how Dean is trying so hard to fit in for his Sammy, and Sam is so *happy* to see his brother and just wants him to be himslef. Even John is well-portrayed here and not made into a evil 100% bad father (although not the nicest of guys!).

Thanks for sharing all your wonderful writing! I'm now going on to read all your other stuff. I'm not always good about reviewing, but I just wanted to let you know how much I got drawn into your very interesting universe.

(ps I want Jess to stay ok in this universe!)
diana chapter 7 . 12/14/2007
I love your stories in this universe, I hope you're planning to write more! You have a really good handle on the characters and how they respond to things. I think it would be interesting to see some of the events from the show in this universe, like John's death, or anything that would mix up Sam's "normal" world with Dean's supernatural one. I'd like to see Jess and/or Sam's friends react to seeing what Dean really does. :)
Indus chapter 7 . 12/9/2007
I love where you're going with this. So glad to see the updates! Are you planning to follow canon with the selling soul stuff? Don't tell me, just keep writing brilliant fics!
Uyen chapter 7 . 12/7/2007
This is such an awesome verse! I love the whole AU side of it. I love how Sam is soo good to his brother, how he always wants Dean to be there with them. And ofcourse, it warms my heart that Dean has a place he can go to when he needs to, and even better that is Sam, especially seeing Sam is so important to him. Jess is cool to, this is like the first story I really really like her in!

Any chance we're getting more to this verse?
Ghostwriter chapter 7 . 12/7/2007
Great job. And now I have to go take a final. Wish me Winchester luck (the good kind anyway). Catch ya on the flip side.
marisa cooper chapter 7 . 12/7/2007
I love this AU, you've totally captured a very interesting brotherly dynamic. Can't wait to see what happens next!
206 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »