Reviews for Unfurl
lelann37 chapter 7 . 12/6/2007
omg, the ending was so great! oohh. yea! they have to figure something out with the fighting and such...dunno what though-but as long as they always make up, that's all that matters
Thru Terry's Eyes chapter 7 . 12/6/2007
That was a really good chapter for a lot of reasons. Well struck.
Ster1 chapter 7 . 12/6/2007
Something that struck me while reading this chapter is how very "young" Sam is. And that would make sense, seeing as how the events of canon never occurred. For better or worse, those life experiences matured Sam and allowed him to grow up. Here, though, Sam is still the angry youth who has not yet learned about restraint and compromise. His lashing out at the dinner table, while maybe emotionally satisfying for him, ruined Jess' attempts to host her first Thanksgiving, embarassed his guests, and put Dean on the spot. And then, Dean is left to smooth things over with both the family and, in his typical big brother role, fix Sam.

Don't get me wrong: it's impossible not to love these characters, flaws and all. You've done such a fasinating job of showing how the previous estrangement effected the Winchester family dynamics and without the hunt/time together to help mend things, how different the boys are from canon. I've already mentioned Sam but Dean, although a good actor, is also a bit worse for wear: gruffer, less patient, more rough around the edges and I think, pretty fatalistic about the odds of having Sam in his life. He wants a happy solution but seems resigned to the opinion that there can't be one. Sigh...oh,boys..

(Oh, and still loving your Jess. What a great character you've created.)

Hope you continue to write more in this 'verse. It really is a fantastic AU!
wild wolf free17 chapter 7 . 12/6/2007
Aww, boys.
NathMG chapter 7 . 12/6/2007
This was such a wonderful chapter. I could practically cut the tension with a knife. I'm glad they got a chance to talk and smooth this over a bit. I feel an overwhelming sense of sadness at the close of this chapter. The boys maintaining this facade in front of Jess' family and their friends is becomming so difficult. Their two worlds are blending and it's just so painful and raw. I hope you will continue to write stories in this AU after the epilogue. There is so much more to be said and done. Great story!
happycabbage75 chapter 7 . 12/6/2007
Crikey. When Sam has a meltdown, he doesn't do it by halves!

Just one word.

Awkward.

Thanks for this story. Excellent ending.
maz101 chapter 7 . 12/6/2007
This sounds like family gatherings we've all known! Love your depiction of the boys - the longer this verse goes on (I've read them all now!) the bigger the tension that soemthing big is going to blow. But you can stretch it a lot further and we'll just enjoy! Thanks for your work.
Tari Roo chapter 7 . 12/6/2007
So far my reviews have been mostly just of the 'squee' in delight variety and not terribly constructive or informative - so here goes.

But first the squee part: Excellent chapter! Angst! Drama! and gut-wrenching heart-ache. Brilliant!

And now, the constructive:

I went back and re-read all of the other 'Beer' verse stories, start to chapter 6 of Unfurl, and can I just say, Wow... its a lot of wonderful wonderful reading. And in viewing the story as a whole - starting effectively with Dean and Sam yelling at eachother in the street and now 'ending' here at Thanksgiving, it flows together beautifully.

the very reasons that Dean knew 'knew' it was a bad idea to stay with Sam, to 'try' and make it work have now come to fore. Because, as you have so aptly shown, Sam wants the best of both worlds, without dealing with the implication of them inevitably colliding. Dean knew it wouldn't work, knew in the end that the Hunt and Dad and his decisions would affect Sam's normal life, even if only through him. That Sam doesn't actually know what he wants. That the lies would catch up to them in the end.

And its so sad... and so inevitable! Sigh. I think that if if were just Sam and Jessica, and Dean, that maybe it would be ok, maybe the brothers could find a balance, but with Jessica comes an entire world of normal, and Sam can't have both normal and 'his' Dean. Its turning out to be either or.

and considering how the show itself has run so far, effectively closing Sam's open doors to normalcy, preventing him ever really having both, it adds to the sense of inevitable in your verse. sigh.

I know tis a little rambling but well, your fics make me think as well as squee and squirm so... I wonder truly how you see this verse unfolding and if Sam is ever going to tell Jess, or if his old life is simply going to catch up with him (like in the show) and implode his 'normal'. (add another sigh).

a little 'touch of destiny' there? I hope not. I really really hope that somehow they find the balance - if possible. Hence... i am very keen to read more.

So thanks a million for an excellent, poignant, fraught with tension and drama 'chick flick' verse.

Awesome!
Padfoot n' Moony chapter 7 . 12/5/2007
update!
YankeeFan87 chapter 7 . 12/5/2007
aww i loved it. even if sam freaked the hell out of jess's parents. the dean/sam conversation at the end was adorable. thanks for the update!
Jensenite42 chapter 7 . 12/5/2007
I just can't thank you enough for writing these verse stories. Each one just gets more and more incredible. I have no idea how you create these characters that are so dimensional, you can practically see them standing in the room with you.

Like Sam, trying to balance the perfect world he always wanted with his need for his big brother, and Dean, putting on the facade and trying to fit in for Sam. You can see how out of place both of them are in the "normal" world and its even more engrossing than watching them dust spirits or staking vampires.

The emotion at the table scene was so incredibly intense I was gripping my chair the whole time lol.

I hope you continue to write in this verse as it truly is amazing. Thank you for sharing!
Jessalyn-Laine chapter 7 . 12/5/2007
Oh, I'm so behind. I stay offline for a few days and I miss three chapters.

Three wonderful chapters at that. I loved it.

Will the epilogue be up soon?
Nana56 chapter 7 . 12/5/2007
This is such a sad story. I knew it would be from the title, but I'm glad for Dean at least being thankful for Sam and them trying to work something out. It breaks my heart for such a fissure to develop between them.

I did appreciate the bits of humor here, too.
lembas7 chapter 7 . 12/5/2007
Okay, Mr. Moore's inserted lines were PERFECT! *grins* Very nice touch, added in there! :) And GOD does the ending punch me in the gut every. Single. Time. *le sigh of angst-loving happiness*

I love it, how there's a feeling of psychological closure for the reader even though things aren't really resolved at all. Heh. DTFIC!
lilgurlgreen chapter 7 . 12/5/2007
I can't believe Sam just cracked in front of everyone! Can't wait for the epilogue! Is there going to be more in this 'verse after this?
213 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »