Reviews for Unfurl
Tari Roo chapter 7 . 12/6/2007
So far my reviews have been mostly just of the 'squee' in delight variety and not terribly constructive or informative - so here goes.

But first the squee part: Excellent chapter! Angst! Drama! and gut-wrenching heart-ache. Brilliant!

And now, the constructive:

I went back and re-read all of the other 'Beer' verse stories, start to chapter 6 of Unfurl, and can I just say, Wow... its a lot of wonderful wonderful reading. And in viewing the story as a whole - starting effectively with Dean and Sam yelling at eachother in the street and now 'ending' here at Thanksgiving, it flows together beautifully.

the very reasons that Dean knew 'knew' it was a bad idea to stay with Sam, to 'try' and make it work have now come to fore. Because, as you have so aptly shown, Sam wants the best of both worlds, without dealing with the implication of them inevitably colliding. Dean knew it wouldn't work, knew in the end that the Hunt and Dad and his decisions would affect Sam's normal life, even if only through him. That Sam doesn't actually know what he wants. That the lies would catch up to them in the end.

And its so sad... and so inevitable! Sigh. I think that if if were just Sam and Jessica, and Dean, that maybe it would be ok, maybe the brothers could find a balance, but with Jessica comes an entire world of normal, and Sam can't have both normal and 'his' Dean. Its turning out to be either or.

and considering how the show itself has run so far, effectively closing Sam's open doors to normalcy, preventing him ever really having both, it adds to the sense of inevitable in your verse. sigh.

I know tis a little rambling but well, your fics make me think as well as squee and squirm so... I wonder truly how you see this verse unfolding and if Sam is ever going to tell Jess, or if his old life is simply going to catch up with him (like in the show) and implode his 'normal'. (add another sigh).

a little 'touch of destiny' there? I hope not. I really really hope that somehow they find the balance - if possible. Hence... i am very keen to read more.

So thanks a million for an excellent, poignant, fraught with tension and drama 'chick flick' verse.

Awesome!
Padfoot n' Moony chapter 7 . 12/5/2007
update!
YankeeFan87 chapter 7 . 12/5/2007
aww i loved it. even if sam freaked the hell out of jess's parents. the dean/sam conversation at the end was adorable. thanks for the update!
Jensenite42 chapter 7 . 12/5/2007
I just can't thank you enough for writing these verse stories. Each one just gets more and more incredible. I have no idea how you create these characters that are so dimensional, you can practically see them standing in the room with you.

Like Sam, trying to balance the perfect world he always wanted with his need for his big brother, and Dean, putting on the facade and trying to fit in for Sam. You can see how out of place both of them are in the "normal" world and its even more engrossing than watching them dust spirits or staking vampires.

The emotion at the table scene was so incredibly intense I was gripping my chair the whole time lol.

I hope you continue to write in this verse as it truly is amazing. Thank you for sharing!
Jessalyn-Laine chapter 7 . 12/5/2007
Oh, I'm so behind. I stay offline for a few days and I miss three chapters.

Three wonderful chapters at that. I loved it.

Will the epilogue be up soon?
Nana56 chapter 7 . 12/5/2007
This is such a sad story. I knew it would be from the title, but I'm glad for Dean at least being thankful for Sam and them trying to work something out. It breaks my heart for such a fissure to develop between them.

I did appreciate the bits of humor here, too.
lembas7 chapter 7 . 12/5/2007
Okay, Mr. Moore's inserted lines were PERFECT! *grins* Very nice touch, added in there! :) And GOD does the ending punch me in the gut every. Single. Time. *le sigh of angst-loving happiness*

I love it, how there's a feeling of psychological closure for the reader even though things aren't really resolved at all. Heh. DTFIC!
lilgurlgreen chapter 7 . 12/5/2007
I can't believe Sam just cracked in front of everyone! Can't wait for the epilogue! Is there going to be more in this 'verse after this?
SilverKitsune1 chapter 7 . 12/5/2007
I'm so in love with this universe. You write this amazing Jessica and the brothers are so spot on. They're so complicated and terrified and broken it almost hurts to watch them.
JadeAlmasy chapter 6 . 12/5/2007
Cool chapter! poor coffee mugs! what did they ever do to Dean!lol

Jade
Ster1 chapter 6 . 12/5/2007
Another great chapter...

The more I'm reading this story, the more I'm realizing how different it is from the others in this 'verse. There's a very disquieting undercurrent that I was having a hard time pinpointing. And maybe I'm overreading but here goes...

I was thinking about this story's title. At first glance, I assumed it was meant to pertain to the brothers' relationship. But now, I'm not so sure. I almost feel as if it could just as easily mean Sam's perception of his "perfect" life, ala "the All American Dream." Up to this point, Sam has been a chamelion, molding himself to be accepted. And because he loved and missed Dean, he wanted to include Dean in this life. He wants to have his cake and eat it too. Dean was worried about this from the get go but agreed to give it a try.

But at least in this area, I feel Sam sees everything in black and white. He wants Dean to "fit" into Sam's chosen life instead of acknowledging and appreciating Dean for who he REALLY is. Sam seems so afraid that Dean will rock the boat and then, at the same time, is unhappy that Dean is playing a role for his family/friends. No wonder Dean is frustrated, with all those mixed messages. And considering how ashamed Sam is of their previous life and family-a life Dean embraces and a family he loves- I have to give Dean credit for even trying.

The fights with Dean bring out the parts of Sam that he's trying to hide from/forget. It's easier to try and change Dean than for Sam to learn to accept himself as a whole person, complete with the childhood he had, how it shaped him and what it taught him. I think that part of maturity is realizing that life is hard and unfair and dark and depressing at times, as well as happy. Sam was just exposed to that truth earlier than most people and in a way, he could be stronger for it. And he should trust Jess more - she seems like the type who will be more upset if she learns about the lies than if she has to deal with the truth. Sam doesn't need to hunt anymore but accepting the reality of his past (and Dean and John's present) is the only way I can see Sam become a whole, happy person.

Okay, enough rambling...

TO summarize: love your story!
happycabbage75 chapter 6 . 12/5/2007
Who knew making coffee could be so nerve-wracking!
Rhesa chapter 6 . 12/5/2007
2 updates in a day - wonderful. Please do an epilogue as well as another chapter, I just can't get enough of this verse!

I really hope you will continue to write more in it, as Ive mentioned before the possibilities are endless and I could read these stories forever. I just love your Jess she's such a great characetr. I really want to see her eventually find out about the family biz , and meet John - at an injured Dean's bedside would be a particularly heartwrenching way for it to happen, but any situation you write would be great by for all the wonderful entertainment.
lelann37 chapter 6 . 12/4/2007
sam slipping into latin was great! loved it. i just wanna make dean stop acting and be real with his brother. maybe they need another fightout.
Tari Roo chapter 6 . 12/4/2007
How? HOW? in the world can you reduce me to gooey mush with a turkey dinner and coffee making? HOW?

I feel almost as uncomfortable reading this chapter as I am sure the characters do being in it - with all the palpable tension and underlying emotion and imminent drama.

Sigh...

I can only ask HOW? and say, excellent work, as usual, on yet another high-blood-pressure chapter that leaves you wanting more. I going to go read "A Beer" again... sigh
206 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 .. Last Next »