Reviews for The Difficulties of Avoidance
ms Masen chapter 16 . 6/19/2012
so exciting! can't wait for the next update :D
akeginu chapter 1 . 6/19/2012
Also, I realized what I find so infuriating and endearing about Harper is that he is a total Percy Weasley! Punitive authoritarian jerkhole with an insecure, more human side that he furiously overcompensates for by lashing out. He either is completely smitten with or jealous of Ginny and Luna and he can't handle seeing them running about 'having fun' when everyone else (in his mind) has to play by the boring, confining rules. His shock and horror at Ginny's injuries give lie to him holding any real malice for her, and it may be interesting to see how he adjusts his outlook now that some of his expectations about their gallivanting have been blown out of the water. For such a minor character from the books you've made a nuanced supporting actor for fic.
akeginu chapter 16 . 6/19/2012
Wow, I can see why you were looking forward to writing this chapter, it was pretty exciting! You did a good job writing the action, and the imagery of Ginny just relaxing in an armchair as Tom covertly sneaks out the map was really tense for me. Nice. I liked how Ginny only barely managed to come out on top, and she wouldn't even have had a chance too if he hasn't passed her her wand in typical arrogant Voldemort fashion. But, Ginny does have at least some live combat experience, and as talented as Tom Riddle is, this one is her age, so while he's still leagues ahead of her, the gap is more surmountable than he would guess.

I've been trying to guess how he got/made himself a wand, and I had a couple ideas, but none of them work for various reasons. Like, maybe the Room couldn't give him a wand but it could give him the bare materials... but then how could Ginny have taken the wand out of the Room with her if the materials were made by the room? The only way she could have taken it out was if it/its components' origins were from outside the room.. but then how did Tom get them inside it? It's possible but unlikely that someone left a wand in the Room of Hidden Things, but how could Tom have accessed that while the Room was occupied with his 'cell'?

Questions, questions. I'm sure Luna will have some guesses when she learns about the book, but McGonagoll and others are going to have some dangerous questions of their own after Ginny's injuries and her suspicious appearance outside the Room.

I kind of liked the lines you through to Colin this chapter. I hadn't really considered how this version of the year would be playing out with Voldemort's take-over of the Ministry and the upcoming crack-down on Muggleborns. And it makes me notice and consider the smear campaign against McGonagall with new eyes. Is this what has to (and had to happen, canonically) before Snape and the Carrows could be instituted? And that just makes me worry all the more about the Tom secret... refugee children are going to need the Room if Hogwarts is going to become that Death Eater haven, and Harry is going to need the Room to recover the Diadem. Ginny and Luna's approaching time limit as never been so apparent, but even I'm unsure what their options even are.

You sure know how to keep things interesting! As tempting as it must be to just let Ginny and Tom chew scenery in the Room and bond, the plot continues to reassert itself, and its that sort of urgency versus complacency that lends their interactions the tension they have. Always great to read one of your updates :)
SoftballGirl chapter 16 . 6/18/2012
I really love this story! Please update soon :)
akeginu chapter 15 . 6/16/2012
This chapter is surprisingly invigorating! I actually found the Tom scenes to be pretty fun and endearing, although I remain beyond suspicious of him. If anything, him being even slightly friendly makes me feel like something bad is around the corner,

It's neat to see Ginny learning about Potions from Tom because she thinks the whole time that she's the one getting all the benefits of the situation, while it seems she's unwittingly growing more dependent on (and affectionate towards...?) Tom. The haircut in particular was nice, although I was thinking the whole time about waving a shop object near Tom where he could grab it. Speaking of...

Why does Tom keep asking for a wand? What does he plan to do if he gets one? I wonder if he's responsible for the room no longer being frozen, and if the only thing stopping him from outright waltzing out the door is a wand?

Between the upcoming wedding taking Ginny away from Hogwarts, and McGonagall putting the kibosh on Ginny and Luna's nighttime activities, I'm still worried about how long until this whole jig is up.

Thanks for another update, this story is always great to read.
Purple Maharani chapter 1 . 6/2/2012
Very good chapter I liked the whole rumer thing between Luna and Harper haha very funny :P

I really hope Ginny manages to change Tom! Please update so I can find out! :D
Elma Trisara chapter 14 . 6/1/2012
I really like this.
akeginu chapter 14 . 5/23/2012
Yay, an update! This was a nice chapter that worked on multiple levels for me.

The library break-in was exciting, as was the almost-encounter with Harper where Ginny briefly lost the map to Tom. The rumor with Harper/Luna was funny, and exactly the sort of misinformation that you would expect to start spreading. For that matter, what does Slughorn think he knows? That's a little worrying... I'm not sure how long Ginny and Luna can handle or hide something like this without involving a professor. Especially if Ginny is going to be sneaking him potentially dangerous reading material...

Of course, the encounter at the end is the best part. It's all in Ginny's line: "[T]he excitement and intimacy of something hidden." I'm not sure what mischief he could get up to with that book, but I'm sure it's something if he doesn't want Luna to know. I do admit that Ginny's idea about making it a trade situation vs charity probably worked more toward progress with Riddle. Yet, it also looks worse for her now if Luna does find out and get upset (Re: "You gave him a dangerous book and hid it from me so that you could cheat on your homework?"). I also can't help but notice that they skipped the 'understanding the material' part of the homework exchange. Its all well and good to have nice essay grades until your practical work depends on information that you don't know.

I like how much you cover in one chapter without dragging things out. I hate stories that look really long but then I end up having to scroll past tonnes of verbose description. You don't waste words here, and the set-up is as much as you need to establish your scenes and your tone.

Thanks for another great update!
Purple Maharani chapter 13 . 5/21/2012
Great story, must admit never read a GinnyXTom Fic before but I'm glad I read yours! :P

You write all the Characters very well especially Luna, almost as if she's been taken from the book exactly which I adore!

Please update soon!
akeginu chapter 13 . 3/17/2012
This was a delightful read, and I think your pacing and tone match up pretty well with the original series. I agree with your A/N from chapter one about exploring platonic relationships being interesting. One of your strongest skills in this story has been the character interactions. Ginny is spot on. She's accurate, and likeable, although hardly perfect and given to rather extreme emotions. Harper (is he an OC? I can't even tell) is a nice straight man to Luna's absurdity. It was a pleasant surprise to see her as Head Girl in this, and her authority should helps her and Ginny's cause quite a bit. I find myself worrying about their plan, and what they're going to do when the school year is over. Will they have to visit Hogwarts after graduation? Will Riddle need to be moved? Or will things climax before then, even? It seems impossible that Tom could trust them, ever, and doubly so that he would do so before Summer.

I don't mind this being a little AU as it was necessary to have this plot at all. I really like how you worked the old plot elements back in in believable ways. I was wondering how the Death Eater invasion would work, but having Tom escape the Room right before was clever. I also liked Draco's ruse about applying for a position just to check out the Room of Requirements. It echoes Tom's own application for a position to hide his Horcrux in the room. And then there's Tom himself...

I know he's a total bastard, really! But I just love every scene that features him. I can positively feel his rage, frustration, superiority, and his guarded vulnerability at the girls' hands. Every conversation with Tom and Ginny is invigorating and I'm sitting at the edge of my seat waiting to see what happens. There's so much pure tension between them, and the fighting can only do so little to dispel it. Someone's going to give, and I can't wait to see who and how.

Thanks for sharing your story so far, and I can't wait to see what comes next :)
Doctor It chapter 13 . 2/25/2012
Hello there. As another reviewer had stated below, I am so surprised that your story does not have as many reviews as it deserves. It might possibly have to do with the length of time this story had been hanging in the air, but everyone has real life knocking at the door, then busting it open and dragging you to face the demands of reality whether you want to or not. Goddamn uni. Anyway.

Your writing is really superb, and your canon characterization is really on point. I like how you incorporated book related details at a later time (Dumbledore's death). And as I was reading this, knowing that over half a year had passed since the last chapter was posted, I knew I wouldn't be able to stop and I knew that I would feeling raging curiosity as I finished chapter 13. If I had the patience I would give an in depth review of each chapter, mainly to spam you with review alerts in a vain hope that it will plant a seed of desire in you to pick up the pen/keyboard and continue this story, to delve into this realm of yours that I'm quite sure more than a measly 50 people have adored.

I have always loved the environment of Hogwarts, and it is very easy to find bastardized versions of it floating about ffnet. I'm glad that yours is not like them.

My favorite part of this, so far, was Dumbledore's passing remark as Ginny left their impromptu tea with Riddle. Oh Dumbledore and your sticky wand. Hahaha.

Anyway, I must leave to go thrift store hunting. I really hope that you find inspiration to add onto this story. I hope you aren't dead. Because I would be spouting words to encourage you for my own curious pleasure and you would have other things to worry about. Oh dear.

Please excuse me.

I wish you all the best, and I flippin love this story!
Hayden Avery chapter 13 . 10/25/2011
Interesting, I'm really curious too see if they can turn Tom to the light, please update!
RebirthOfAshes chapter 1 . 8/17/2011
First of all, I'm so surprised that this story has not garnered more reviews! I really like it! It's not the typical Ginny/Tom fic, for starters. For another, I've seen fics with more reviews with such bad grammar, whereas this is written so well, and so TRUE to the characters! This is a great story, I hope you continue it more quickly! This story deserves way more exposure as well.
ExilEden chapter 13 . 6/4/2011
Very creepy ending. It's interesting that Ginny still thinks of Tom as handsome. If Tom knew that chink in her armor, I'm sure he wouldn't hesitate to use it to his advantage somehow. It's nice to see an update again! I liked this chapter!
ItsUpToYou chapter 12 . 12/6/2010
XD that was excellent. Tom and Ginny yelling at each other. Like little kids, those two. But we all knew that Ginny's got a quick temper. Poor Tom again, but he had it coming. He was practically asking to get hexed. I know it's quite mean and Tom's rather helpless at this point of the story, but I can't help being amused by his predicament. He kinda deserves it, doesn't he? Though I'm very sure he'll find a way to weasel his way out of it.
94 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »