Reviews for The Difficulties of Avoidance
Elma Trisara chapter 17 . 6/23/2012
I really like that chapter. Poor Tom. Infected bone.
positivelysmashing chapter 11 . 6/22/2012
I am astounded at myself for never reading this story up until now. I love the characters of Tom Riddle and Ginny Weasley so I'm berating myself for looking this story over here on FFnet. I can say, without a doubt, that your story (The Difficulties of Avoidance), Intricacy's "Final Riddles", and Cassandra Clare's "Draco Trilogy" are hands down the BEST Tom/Ginny stories I've come across in all my years of reading fanfiction; I love each of them for very, very different reasons.

What distinguishes yours from the others is how convincingly canon-esque Ginny acts towards Tom Riddle. It's exactly how I'd realistically imagined Ginny to react if she had chanced upon Tom Riddle once more after her "incident" with him during her first year at Hogwarts. Actually, I think, your depiction of Ginny with regards to Tom Riddle might be the BEST I've yet read. Lots of stories are quick to either pair them up in either friendship and/or romance. Yours is truly a breath of fresh air as I'm on the 11th chapter and still Ginny hasn't come around to seeing Tom Riddle as some 'poor, damaged soul' who has the capability of turning himself into an upstanding citizen of the wizarding world with the proper amount of love and devotion. You have no idea how refreshing this is to read thus far. With that being said, I think you've established the fact that now, there's not many options left BUT for Ginny to interact with Tom Riddle more...and I like that. You've written it so that Ginny can either keep harboring fear and nursing her hatred for this boy that ruined her childhood or she can grow from the circumstances which she's in. Again, I've found myself growing increasingly puzzled in some other fanfics when it's depicted as Ginny slowly realizing there's no option for her other than to befriend her enemy, when, in reality, it's evident to the reader that there are many other alternatives she could take if she regretted taking that one. You manage to do a really well job of that, making it a question of pride for Ginny. She can't say "No" to Dumbledore because all she's really wanted was to become part of the Order. Furthermore, it would only add to her surmounting insecurity of herself as a weak person if she chose not to supervise Riddle. Then there's the whole girlfriend-of-The-Chosen-One thing to consider. It wouldn't do for the girlfriend of the Boy Who Lived, sister of The Chosen One's best friend, and daughter and sister of family full of Order members to shirk away from this unfortunate responsibility.

I'm so glad I stumbled upon this story! This story should have many more reviews and readers. It's a shame. :( Do you have an Archive of Our Own account? You could also put your fic up there, solely for the fact to get the word out there about it. :]
Trelaney chapter 17 . 6/22/2012
That was epic.
positivelysmashing chapter 1 . 6/22/2012
strong LOVE this story already! /strong
ms Masen chapter 17 . 6/22/2012
i preferred your version, ie the room supplying the potions. it is the room of req. after all :P can't wait for more! finally seeing some real feelings from ginny in this chapter :D
Elma Trisara chapter 16 . 6/20/2012
Oh dear. Oh dear, how horrid. What Tom gonna do now?
Hayden Avery chapter 16 . 6/19/2012
Amazing chapter, stunningly well written, please update ASAP!
ms Masen chapter 16 . 6/19/2012
so exciting! can't wait for the next update :D
akeginu chapter 1 . 6/19/2012
Also, I realized what I find so infuriating and endearing about Harper is that he is a total Percy Weasley! Punitive authoritarian jerkhole with an insecure, more human side that he furiously overcompensates for by lashing out. He either is completely smitten with or jealous of Ginny and Luna and he can't handle seeing them running about 'having fun' when everyone else (in his mind) has to play by the boring, confining rules. His shock and horror at Ginny's injuries give lie to him holding any real malice for her, and it may be interesting to see how he adjusts his outlook now that some of his expectations about their gallivanting have been blown out of the water. For such a minor character from the books you've made a nuanced supporting actor for fic.
akeginu chapter 16 . 6/19/2012
Wow, I can see why you were looking forward to writing this chapter, it was pretty exciting! You did a good job writing the action, and the imagery of Ginny just relaxing in an armchair as Tom covertly sneaks out the map was really tense for me. Nice. I liked how Ginny only barely managed to come out on top, and she wouldn't even have had a chance too if he hasn't passed her her wand in typical arrogant Voldemort fashion. But, Ginny does have at least some live combat experience, and as talented as Tom Riddle is, this one is her age, so while he's still leagues ahead of her, the gap is more surmountable than he would guess.

I've been trying to guess how he got/made himself a wand, and I had a couple ideas, but none of them work for various reasons. Like, maybe the Room couldn't give him a wand but it could give him the bare materials... but then how could Ginny have taken the wand out of the Room with her if the materials were made by the room? The only way she could have taken it out was if it/its components' origins were from outside the room.. but then how did Tom get them inside it? It's possible but unlikely that someone left a wand in the Room of Hidden Things, but how could Tom have accessed that while the Room was occupied with his 'cell'?

Questions, questions. I'm sure Luna will have some guesses when she learns about the book, but McGonagoll and others are going to have some dangerous questions of their own after Ginny's injuries and her suspicious appearance outside the Room.

I kind of liked the lines you through to Colin this chapter. I hadn't really considered how this version of the year would be playing out with Voldemort's take-over of the Ministry and the upcoming crack-down on Muggleborns. And it makes me notice and consider the smear campaign against McGonagall with new eyes. Is this what has to (and had to happen, canonically) before Snape and the Carrows could be instituted? And that just makes me worry all the more about the Tom secret... refugee children are going to need the Room if Hogwarts is going to become that Death Eater haven, and Harry is going to need the Room to recover the Diadem. Ginny and Luna's approaching time limit as never been so apparent, but even I'm unsure what their options even are.

You sure know how to keep things interesting! As tempting as it must be to just let Ginny and Tom chew scenery in the Room and bond, the plot continues to reassert itself, and its that sort of urgency versus complacency that lends their interactions the tension they have. Always great to read one of your updates :)
SoftballGirl chapter 16 . 6/18/2012
I really love this story! Please update soon :)
akeginu chapter 15 . 6/16/2012
This chapter is surprisingly invigorating! I actually found the Tom scenes to be pretty fun and endearing, although I remain beyond suspicious of him. If anything, him being even slightly friendly makes me feel like something bad is around the corner,

It's neat to see Ginny learning about Potions from Tom because she thinks the whole time that she's the one getting all the benefits of the situation, while it seems she's unwittingly growing more dependent on (and affectionate towards...?) Tom. The haircut in particular was nice, although I was thinking the whole time about waving a shop object near Tom where he could grab it. Speaking of...

Why does Tom keep asking for a wand? What does he plan to do if he gets one? I wonder if he's responsible for the room no longer being frozen, and if the only thing stopping him from outright waltzing out the door is a wand?

Between the upcoming wedding taking Ginny away from Hogwarts, and McGonagall putting the kibosh on Ginny and Luna's nighttime activities, I'm still worried about how long until this whole jig is up.

Thanks for another update, this story is always great to read.
Purple Maharani chapter 1 . 6/2/2012
Very good chapter I liked the whole rumer thing between Luna and Harper haha very funny :P

I really hope Ginny manages to change Tom! Please update so I can find out! :D
Elma Trisara chapter 14 . 6/1/2012
I really like this.
akeginu chapter 14 . 5/23/2012
Yay, an update! This was a nice chapter that worked on multiple levels for me.

The library break-in was exciting, as was the almost-encounter with Harper where Ginny briefly lost the map to Tom. The rumor with Harper/Luna was funny, and exactly the sort of misinformation that you would expect to start spreading. For that matter, what does Slughorn think he knows? That's a little worrying... I'm not sure how long Ginny and Luna can handle or hide something like this without involving a professor. Especially if Ginny is going to be sneaking him potentially dangerous reading material...

Of course, the encounter at the end is the best part. It's all in Ginny's line: "[T]he excitement and intimacy of something hidden." I'm not sure what mischief he could get up to with that book, but I'm sure it's something if he doesn't want Luna to know. I do admit that Ginny's idea about making it a trade situation vs charity probably worked more toward progress with Riddle. Yet, it also looks worse for her now if Luna does find out and get upset (Re: "You gave him a dangerous book and hid it from me so that you could cheat on your homework?"). I also can't help but notice that they skipped the 'understanding the material' part of the homework exchange. Its all well and good to have nice essay grades until your practical work depends on information that you don't know.

I like how much you cover in one chapter without dragging things out. I hate stories that look really long but then I end up having to scroll past tonnes of verbose description. You don't waste words here, and the set-up is as much as you need to establish your scenes and your tone.

Thanks for another great update!
101 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »