Reviews for The Difficulties of Avoidance
vluz chapter 2 . 7/17/2012
Last time I read this story it was about 3-4 years ago. So I had to reread it. Wow. You really did a great job in keeping both Tom and Ginny in character and let them interact in a rather believable way. I especially liked the little conversation they have in the latest chapter. It would be great to see it from Tom's POV.
ms Masen chapter 18 . 7/14/2012
best, best, best chapter so far :D cannot wait for more!
Guest chapter 17 . 7/3/2012
Please continue! I'm dying without this story lol!
Guest chapter 17 . 7/2/2012
Great story so far!
akeginu chapter 17 . 6/26/2012
Ah, so that's how he got the wand! That actually makes a lot of sense, and it makes it all the funnier how he kept asking for her wand when he didn't need it. It's rather chilling that he planned to kill Ginny for her wand allegiance, but it answers some questions about why Tom wanted the wandlore book. I was expecting Luna to be angry about the book, but it figures that she would've known all along! It makes me wonder why Tom led Ginny to think Luna would know what he wanted the book for. I guess he didn't want them talking about it? Or he wanted to drive a wedge between them? Or maybe even his motives were similar to Ginny's, and he was trying to build up that secretive comradarie.

It's sweet how protective Ginny is of Luna around him. Despite being a homicidal jerk though, I feel bad for Tom, being left without food or healing for days at a time. It's really no wonder he got an infection. It was interesting to me for Tom to teach Ginny the healing spells, actually, because they seem like the last sort of spells young Voldemort would think were important. Who knows, though, maybe he just learned them so he could undo whatever horrible tortures he inflicts on people and evade the notice of teachers. The healing spells, and then the potion-drinking later was all very intimate, but this Tom is much more volatile than the one we'd been seeing prior to the fight. (And that's saying something...)

I liked seeing how Ginny came to terms with Tom's betrayal - the whole 'I can appreciate aspects of his company whether I have his permission or not' thing is just so stubborn and in-character. She vacillates between brave healer-warden and treating an injured, unarmed Riddle like you would a cornered rattlesnake. Heh, maybe she's more like a vet :P

I also thought it was neat the way Ginny noticed the parallels between her rebuffing of Harper's help and Tom's rebuffing of hers. I don't think they're at much risk of being friends anytime soon, but I can really see Ginny starting to identify with him more despite herself.

As for the potions thing... I don't mind the Room of Requirement stealing potions from elsewhere in the castle, that makes sense. But, it actually makes me wonder why they have to bring him food, then, if they could just have the Room take it from the kitchens or the Great Hall? I know they'd probably need to check on him anyway, but it would let them skip sneaking to the kitchens and back as a part of their escapades. Maybe they just hadn't realized they could do it before, or the Room is continuing to regain more of its abilities.

It's great to see you getting out these chapters so quick and knowing you're inspired :) Sorry for being a little late reviewing!
Elma Trisara chapter 17 . 6/23/2012
I really like that chapter. Poor Tom. Infected bone.
positivelysmashing chapter 11 . 6/22/2012
I am astounded at myself for never reading this story up until now. I love the characters of Tom Riddle and Ginny Weasley so I'm berating myself for looking this story over here on FFnet. I can say, without a doubt, that your story (The Difficulties of Avoidance), Intricacy's "Final Riddles", and Cassandra Clare's "Draco Trilogy" are hands down the BEST Tom/Ginny stories I've come across in all my years of reading fanfiction; I love each of them for very, very different reasons.

What distinguishes yours from the others is how convincingly canon-esque Ginny acts towards Tom Riddle. It's exactly how I'd realistically imagined Ginny to react if she had chanced upon Tom Riddle once more after her "incident" with him during her first year at Hogwarts. Actually, I think, your depiction of Ginny with regards to Tom Riddle might be the BEST I've yet read. Lots of stories are quick to either pair them up in either friendship and/or romance. Yours is truly a breath of fresh air as I'm on the 11th chapter and still Ginny hasn't come around to seeing Tom Riddle as some 'poor, damaged soul' who has the capability of turning himself into an upstanding citizen of the wizarding world with the proper amount of love and devotion. You have no idea how refreshing this is to read thus far. With that being said, I think you've established the fact that now, there's not many options left BUT for Ginny to interact with Tom Riddle more...and I like that. You've written it so that Ginny can either keep harboring fear and nursing her hatred for this boy that ruined her childhood or she can grow from the circumstances which she's in. Again, I've found myself growing increasingly puzzled in some other fanfics when it's depicted as Ginny slowly realizing there's no option for her other than to befriend her enemy, when, in reality, it's evident to the reader that there are many other alternatives she could take if she regretted taking that one. You manage to do a really well job of that, making it a question of pride for Ginny. She can't say "No" to Dumbledore because all she's really wanted was to become part of the Order. Furthermore, it would only add to her surmounting insecurity of herself as a weak person if she chose not to supervise Riddle. Then there's the whole girlfriend-of-The-Chosen-One thing to consider. It wouldn't do for the girlfriend of the Boy Who Lived, sister of The Chosen One's best friend, and daughter and sister of family full of Order members to shirk away from this unfortunate responsibility.

I'm so glad I stumbled upon this story! This story should have many more reviews and readers. It's a shame. :( Do you have an Archive of Our Own account? You could also put your fic up there, solely for the fact to get the word out there about it. :]
Trelaney chapter 17 . 6/22/2012
That was epic.
positivelysmashing chapter 1 . 6/22/2012
strong LOVE this story already! /strong
ms Masen chapter 17 . 6/22/2012
i preferred your version, ie the room supplying the potions. it is the room of req. after all :P can't wait for more! finally seeing some real feelings from ginny in this chapter :D
Elma Trisara chapter 16 . 6/20/2012
Oh dear. Oh dear, how horrid. What Tom gonna do now?
Hayden Avery chapter 16 . 6/19/2012
Amazing chapter, stunningly well written, please update ASAP!
ms Masen chapter 16 . 6/19/2012
so exciting! can't wait for the next update :D
akeginu chapter 1 . 6/19/2012
Also, I realized what I find so infuriating and endearing about Harper is that he is a total Percy Weasley! Punitive authoritarian jerkhole with an insecure, more human side that he furiously overcompensates for by lashing out. He either is completely smitten with or jealous of Ginny and Luna and he can't handle seeing them running about 'having fun' when everyone else (in his mind) has to play by the boring, confining rules. His shock and horror at Ginny's injuries give lie to him holding any real malice for her, and it may be interesting to see how he adjusts his outlook now that some of his expectations about their gallivanting have been blown out of the water. For such a minor character from the books you've made a nuanced supporting actor for fic.
akeginu chapter 16 . 6/19/2012
Wow, I can see why you were looking forward to writing this chapter, it was pretty exciting! You did a good job writing the action, and the imagery of Ginny just relaxing in an armchair as Tom covertly sneaks out the map was really tense for me. Nice. I liked how Ginny only barely managed to come out on top, and she wouldn't even have had a chance too if he hasn't passed her her wand in typical arrogant Voldemort fashion. But, Ginny does have at least some live combat experience, and as talented as Tom Riddle is, this one is her age, so while he's still leagues ahead of her, the gap is more surmountable than he would guess.

I've been trying to guess how he got/made himself a wand, and I had a couple ideas, but none of them work for various reasons. Like, maybe the Room couldn't give him a wand but it could give him the bare materials... but then how could Ginny have taken the wand out of the Room with her if the materials were made by the room? The only way she could have taken it out was if it/its components' origins were from outside the room.. but then how did Tom get them inside it? It's possible but unlikely that someone left a wand in the Room of Hidden Things, but how could Tom have accessed that while the Room was occupied with his 'cell'?

Questions, questions. I'm sure Luna will have some guesses when she learns about the book, but McGonagoll and others are going to have some dangerous questions of their own after Ginny's injuries and her suspicious appearance outside the Room.

I kind of liked the lines you through to Colin this chapter. I hadn't really considered how this version of the year would be playing out with Voldemort's take-over of the Ministry and the upcoming crack-down on Muggleborns. And it makes me notice and consider the smear campaign against McGonagall with new eyes. Is this what has to (and had to happen, canonically) before Snape and the Carrows could be instituted? And that just makes me worry all the more about the Tom secret... refugee children are going to need the Room if Hogwarts is going to become that Death Eater haven, and Harry is going to need the Room to recover the Diadem. Ginny and Luna's approaching time limit as never been so apparent, but even I'm unsure what their options even are.

You sure know how to keep things interesting! As tempting as it must be to just let Ginny and Tom chew scenery in the Room and bond, the plot continues to reassert itself, and its that sort of urgency versus complacency that lends their interactions the tension they have. Always great to read one of your updates :)
106 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »