Reviews for The Difficulties of Avoidance
Elma Trisara chapter 14 . 6/1/2012
I really like this.
akeginu chapter 14 . 5/23/2012
Yay, an update! This was a nice chapter that worked on multiple levels for me.

The library break-in was exciting, as was the almost-encounter with Harper where Ginny briefly lost the map to Tom. The rumor with Harper/Luna was funny, and exactly the sort of misinformation that you would expect to start spreading. For that matter, what does Slughorn think he knows? That's a little worrying... I'm not sure how long Ginny and Luna can handle or hide something like this without involving a professor. Especially if Ginny is going to be sneaking him potentially dangerous reading material...

Of course, the encounter at the end is the best part. It's all in Ginny's line: "[T]he excitement and intimacy of something hidden." I'm not sure what mischief he could get up to with that book, but I'm sure it's something if he doesn't want Luna to know. I do admit that Ginny's idea about making it a trade situation vs charity probably worked more toward progress with Riddle. Yet, it also looks worse for her now if Luna does find out and get upset (Re: "You gave him a dangerous book and hid it from me so that you could cheat on your homework?"). I also can't help but notice that they skipped the 'understanding the material' part of the homework exchange. Its all well and good to have nice essay grades until your practical work depends on information that you don't know.

I like how much you cover in one chapter without dragging things out. I hate stories that look really long but then I end up having to scroll past tonnes of verbose description. You don't waste words here, and the set-up is as much as you need to establish your scenes and your tone.

Thanks for another great update!
PurpleMaharani chapter 13 . 5/21/2012
Great story, must admit never read a GinnyXTom Fic before but I'm glad I read yours! :P

You write all the Characters very well especially Luna, almost as if she's been taken from the book exactly which I adore!

Please update soon!
akeginu chapter 13 . 3/17/2012
This was a delightful read, and I think your pacing and tone match up pretty well with the original series. I agree with your A/N from chapter one about exploring platonic relationships being interesting. One of your strongest skills in this story has been the character interactions. Ginny is spot on. She's accurate, and likeable, although hardly perfect and given to rather extreme emotions. Harper (is he an OC? I can't even tell) is a nice straight man to Luna's absurdity. It was a pleasant surprise to see her as Head Girl in this, and her authority should helps her and Ginny's cause quite a bit. I find myself worrying about their plan, and what they're going to do when the school year is over. Will they have to visit Hogwarts after graduation? Will Riddle need to be moved? Or will things climax before then, even? It seems impossible that Tom could trust them, ever, and doubly so that he would do so before Summer.

I don't mind this being a little AU as it was necessary to have this plot at all. I really like how you worked the old plot elements back in in believable ways. I was wondering how the Death Eater invasion would work, but having Tom escape the Room right before was clever. I also liked Draco's ruse about applying for a position just to check out the Room of Requirements. It echoes Tom's own application for a position to hide his Horcrux in the room. And then there's Tom himself...

I know he's a total bastard, really! But I just love every scene that features him. I can positively feel his rage, frustration, superiority, and his guarded vulnerability at the girls' hands. Every conversation with Tom and Ginny is invigorating and I'm sitting at the edge of my seat waiting to see what happens. There's so much pure tension between them, and the fighting can only do so little to dispel it. Someone's going to give, and I can't wait to see who and how.

Thanks for sharing your story so far, and I can't wait to see what comes next :)
Doctor It chapter 13 . 2/25/2012
Hello there. As another reviewer had stated below, I am so surprised that your story does not have as many reviews as it deserves. It might possibly have to do with the length of time this story had been hanging in the air, but everyone has real life knocking at the door, then busting it open and dragging you to face the demands of reality whether you want to or not. Goddamn uni. Anyway.

Your writing is really superb, and your canon characterization is really on point. I like how you incorporated book related details at a later time (Dumbledore's death). And as I was reading this, knowing that over half a year had passed since the last chapter was posted, I knew I wouldn't be able to stop and I knew that I would feeling raging curiosity as I finished chapter 13. If I had the patience I would give an in depth review of each chapter, mainly to spam you with review alerts in a vain hope that it will plant a seed of desire in you to pick up the pen/keyboard and continue this story, to delve into this realm of yours that I'm quite sure more than a measly 50 people have adored.

I have always loved the environment of Hogwarts, and it is very easy to find bastardized versions of it floating about ffnet. I'm glad that yours is not like them.

My favorite part of this, so far, was Dumbledore's passing remark as Ginny left their impromptu tea with Riddle. Oh Dumbledore and your sticky wand. Hahaha.

Anyway, I must leave to go thrift store hunting. I really hope that you find inspiration to add onto this story. I hope you aren't dead. Because I would be spouting words to encourage you for my own curious pleasure and you would have other things to worry about. Oh dear.

Please excuse me.

I wish you all the best, and I flippin love this story!
Hayden Avery chapter 13 . 10/25/2011
Interesting, I'm really curious too see if they can turn Tom to the light, please update!
RebirthOfAshes chapter 1 . 8/17/2011
First of all, I'm so surprised that this story has not garnered more reviews! I really like it! It's not the typical Ginny/Tom fic, for starters. For another, I've seen fics with more reviews with such bad grammar, whereas this is written so well, and so TRUE to the characters! This is a great story, I hope you continue it more quickly! This story deserves way more exposure as well.
ExilEden chapter 13 . 6/4/2011
Very creepy ending. It's interesting that Ginny still thinks of Tom as handsome. If Tom knew that chink in her armor, I'm sure he wouldn't hesitate to use it to his advantage somehow. It's nice to see an update again! I liked this chapter!
ItsUpToYou chapter 12 . 12/6/2010
XD that was excellent. Tom and Ginny yelling at each other. Like little kids, those two. But we all knew that Ginny's got a quick temper. Poor Tom again, but he had it coming. He was practically asking to get hexed. I know it's quite mean and Tom's rather helpless at this point of the story, but I can't help being amused by his predicament. He kinda deserves it, doesn't he? Though I'm very sure he'll find a way to weasel his way out of it.
inactiveaccount100000 chapter 12 . 12/5/2010
Forbearance lol. I liked how this chapter went. Riddle and Ginny having wild mood swings... well at least when they arn't near each other. When there with each other they seem to share in equal parts loathing and hate. Maybe it's love

Rita Skeeter that evil witch! She ruinded a completly beautiful sappy scene and turned it into a book to sort of makes me happy but she also strangly annoys me along with Ginny. That whole week or so wher they were fighting I was all for team Ginny( although I felt guilty along with her for making fun of Luna) which is uncommon for me because most of the time it doesnt matter what Luna does I still like her. I think that goes to show how good you are at writing from Ginny's view point and getting Ginnys feelings out onto paper. In this scene I was understood exactly where she was coming from too and I got where Tom was too.. yay.

if I wasnt so sad for ginny I would have laughed my head off about the house elf thing.

Oddly I like Harper! u should throw him into more scenes! he's so funny
Recipe chapter 12 . 12/5/2010
So I'm guessing she screwed up on the be-nice-to-Riddle plan. xDDD

I like this chapter, especially when Ginny mocks Tom back with the diary-orphanage-quote. Wasn't expecting that.

Good luck on your finals, but please please please update soon!
ExilEden chapter 12 . 12/5/2010
It would seem right that Riddle would be calm and composed in the middle of a heated argument until he gets called a half-blood or someone mentions his less than glorious parentage. Aside from labeling Ginny as a blood traitor and a silly, naive, emotional girl, I don't really see Tom sinking to that low, childish level of name-calling, being seventeen as he is. I think it's only when his secret 'nerves' are struck that he gets nasty and throws a hissy fit, but being the way Riddle is, he would prey on someone's weak, sore spots to break them down. So I think you did a good job with that part when you made him pluck at Ginny and Harry's break up and her hurt feelings.

I think a little more description wouldn't hurt, especially in fight scenes like that. Gives it more meat, you know?

Anyways, great chapter. Revising it might not be a bad idea, but I don't see anything major that needs to be taken out. Just more polishing and elaborate on what's already written and it would shine like the past chapters.

Also, so far we seem to be only getting one side of the story about Tom's frustrations. I think it would be interesting if you wrote something from Tom's pov, or from inside his "mind", you know, a glimpse of what's behind those dark eyes? Just a suggestion if you ever run out of ideas.
ExilEden chapter 2 . 12/5/2010
Wait, ignore that last review if you will. I was thinking of the wrong story. The T/G story that I was actually writing about is called 'Ghost of a Memory' by Giliath. THAT one has a more accurate depiction of Tom and Ginny. The other one was...kind of a humorous version. Either way, since Tom/Ginny fanfics are so hard to find, I just thought I'd recommend a good one to you.
ExilEden chapter 1 . 12/5/2010
This is a totally random review, but after reading your bio about how you like to read T/G stories, you might be interested in this story "Crimson Ink" by Rhianna. It's not finished, but it's one of the T/G stories out there where both Tom and Ginny are written within the boundaries of plausible characterization.
Elspethe chapter 11 . 12/2/2010
I'm really enjoying this story. The characterization seems to be very accurate, and it has it's moments of sheer hilarity (dance the can can) and excitement. Looking forward to the next installment!
103 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »