Reviews for The Secret Life of a Girl
Sakura Tsukikage chapter 1 . 1/20/2009
I haven't read Escaflowne fanfic for years, but I followed a link to this the other day and remembered reading it when I was really into the show. I also remember how much I loved it. It's something rare to find fanfic this good, and it's left a lasting impression on me. It changed the way I looked at these characters, and the world, gave them added depth in my mind. You did an amazing job, so good that it's near indistinguishable from canon. I do love Escaflowne, and I'm glad that there's fanfic for it this good, with this kind of grace, depth, and sympathy. I realize you wrote this years ago, so if you're anything like me you look back at bits of phrasing and scenes you wouldn't have written now and wince, but you did do a wonderful job with this fic, and one that left a lasting impression on me. Congratulations, and great writing.
arysani chapter 19 . 6/8/2008
Aw! Too bad I know that doesn't work out either. Damn me for reading the wrong story first!

I do believe I have developed a serious crush on Alucier. He's too damned adorable. At this moment in time, I would totally take him over Allen.

Of course, reading that now means I have to find out why that didn't work out and she "went back" to Allen...

Thank you so much for writing this fic - in general, not just this chapter. It was superfun and a delight to get insight into the characters the way you write them. It was definitely a blast :)
arysani chapter 16 . 6/8/2008
For some reason I can't shake the image of Alucier as Karman from Blood. I know it has to be the glasses-and-a-sword thing, but it just won't go away. Does Alucier even have red hair? Or did I just make that up completely with the Karman image?

(Of course, the biting wit with Karman is a little less jovial and a little more...angry so the glasses-and-sword thing is likely where the similarities end. Oh, well, there's the overprotective bit too.)

There's so much fic written about Millerna-the-brat that I have to keep reminding myself that I have higher hopes for her future. I mean, she was quite annoying to begin with. I think my turning point was watching the movie and realizing that there was at leasat one image of her in the writers' minds that was strong willed and more than a little badass. Even if she was Allen's skank and not Dryden's...

Alas, only one chapter left!
arysani chapter 15 . 6/8/2008
Augh! Canon once again destroys all good hopes and dreams!

That is some serious "perfect moment" slayage. But it couldn't've happened any other way, I know. It's just so damn frustrating! Haha.

Alas, almost done. Good thing I have stuff to do today, otherwise I could come up with basically no excuse whatsoever to actually not just read fic all day...
arysani chapter 14 . 6/8/2008
Guh. They're so sweet I might die. And not sweet in the bad way, sweet in the...sweet way. They're so perfect for each other :) Too bad it will take them so long to figure that out!

I continue to enjoy this - I just hope I can come to terms with the fact that it will soon be ending!
arysani chapter 11 . 6/8/2008
Definitely a good chapter. Marlene is so much less "visible" in the series than Eries, and it's so difficult to sort out what sort of person she might have been - obviously the three sisters were different as night and day and...whatever. But giving Marlene this aspect of wanting to protect Allen, and never actually hating the Duke, just not wanting to marry him, paints her much better in my eyes than a few others I've read (ie: wherein she's basically a slut his father married off to control and Allen was merely the latest in her conquests and because she got pregnant by him, she convinced herself she loved him), and I prefer her this way rather than the other way.

And Allen and Eries' friendship is something you develop very well. It's something we basically know in the series, what with "you're the only one I can trust", but there's so much room to roam in the "why do they never actually share scenes together yet somehow they're this close?".

And I definitely don't get the anti-Allen. I mean, I can give in to making fun of him a bit (Didodikali's "Four Minutes" does a fair good job of it), but I don't get the hatred. The man is obviously rather issue-laden, and so he *appears* to bury his troubles in the arms of multiple women. So what? Like that's a new story!

I started (it's like fifty pages...and no where near to done) to write a Dryden/Millerna fic that needed subplots and I decided to do Eries for a subplot and somehow got Eries/Allen totally on accident. And now I'm wondering how I can possibly write Eries after reading this so well thought out. I am actually slightly ashamed I was making her a subplot at all because she can so obviously be so much more. Now to keep on truckin' :)
arysani chapter 8 . 6/8/2008
Ouch. Knew it was coming, but Eries seeing that kiss...talk about harsh.

And am totally loving Alucier. Not that I didn't love him in "Intrigues", but he's so "fresh" here, not a known character, and it feels like I'm getting to know him better.

I probably can't make one more comment about the smooth storytelling, so I'll just leave it at: continuing to enjoy this heaps.
arysani chapter 6 . 6/8/2008
Damn. Now I am glad I read the "end" first. Otherwise how could I be happy knowing that this would never turn out? Ack!

Loved this chapter as I have all the others - and throughly enjoy Revius and Alucier in their younger days :)
arysani chapter 5 . 6/7/2008
Oh their moment! How sweet :)

(Okay, so sometimes I'll write actual reviews and sometimes I'll just blather on about cute things...)
arysani chapter 4 . 6/7/2008
Loving this. And because I know who some of your original characters are from "Intrigues", it's so wonderful to "meet" them from the beginning.

I tell you. You should be writing more fiction than fanfiction. The ease of your storytelling and the way you build a character - it's quite enticing. I love character development, so your writing is basically a dream.
arysani chapter 2 . 6/7/2008
I read your "Intrigues of A Princess" and am loving it. Turns out there's a nifty little entry in a livejournal community that has all sorts of stories listed by author, and thus I discovered there was more to your story :)

Can't wait to really get into this - I loved the Allen and Eries you painted in "Intrigues", and even tho' this is sorta like reading the "end" (seeings as it's not actually ended yet) before the beginning, I hope you'll forgive me in the interest of getting more of your particular interpretations of these characters.
Raven4 chapter 19 . 12/11/2006
Wowsers. Ok, I just sat down and read the whole fic from end to end, and...wowsers. This is going to be less a review, and more the inane ramblings of a crazed fan.

Seriously. Wow. This has easily got to be one of the best stories I've ever read in ANY area of fanfiction. Eries always intrigued me, because she was always to cool and collected, in comparison to whining Milerna who was all frills and ruffles. I'm beyond impressed with how you took a minor character and weaved this incredible story for her, having it fit in perfectly with the storyline.

There's nothing about this fic I don't love. You've made what could be the official backstory for the Astons and Alan, and it's been done WELL. Your writing is perfect, and your character development is beyond anything I've ever seen on ffdn. I love Maerzen, and I love the characterization of Eries - I have no patience for brainless female characters who foolishly chase men (It's a wonder I could watch Escaflowne at all, since its full of them!). Eries is intelligent, and best of all, logical.

And finally, words can't even describe how in awe I am of the chapter concerning Marlene's death. It seemed to be a reflection of when a friend of mine died; it was amazingly realistic. You had me in tears.

Ok, enough of the rant. I could go on forever about all the great things about this fic. And I don't have time to do that. _ I just had to make sure you knew what an amazing writer you were before I closed this window.
Darkrider62 chapter 1 . 11/15/2006
I am very pleased with this treatment of Eries. I always thought she was the one to really the smart one of the bunch. I look forward into reading more.
AmethystWings chapter 19 . 6/19/2006
This is a nicely written fic. It really gives a indepth view of Eries and her past that I find interesting since she is a little known about character in the actual Escaflowne series. This story has fascinating characters and well done development of them that really enhanced the story. The alternate ending was certainly a different view on things as well. Overall The Secret LIfe of a Girl was well done and I look forward to start reading the other two parts in the trilogy.
chocolatelova chapter 2 . 6/7/2006
What a great fic this is. Telling the story behind the Astons and the Schezars from Eries' perspective is brilliant. I love your portrayal of Eries-private and tongue-in-cheek and self-sufficient. I like your writing style, too...it's very straightforward and clean without missing any of the important details. The relationship between the sisters and describing life at the palace is wonderfully done, I think.

I've never been all that interested in the backstory of Asturian nobility until I came across your fic. Now I find it very intriguing. Will read more when I get the chance!