Reviews for Sight the King
Chrysanthemvm chapter 21 . 8/10
Well, this is now my favourite of all time. It's got /everything/ I've ever looked for in stories. I only regret that the standards are incredibly high now! Nothing will ever reach this greatness again.
The very summary had already caught me but the first chapter trapped me like a noose. I am too delighted. Especially since it was a long trip! I love a long storyyy!
Every character had a depth I didn't expect (and will miss dearly now that it's over) and even the act of killing a main character filled me with glee! A bold and wise move! Triggering such a story line, unbelievable! Not to mention the OTP dynamics... That's definitelty where the perfection lies. The way you've written this has both tension-and-expression-and I don't want to face the fact that it's over... When will I see this personalities again? Guess I'll just have to read it all once more!
Never had I stopped so many times while reading because I was shivering so much, too much! That's never happened! I'd almost forgotten I had feelings until I came across this!
I want an epilogue! I'll cry into my pillow! Thanks for being the coolest writer in existence!
moyogi chapter 21 . 6/12
That was.. wow. That was one hell of a ride. I adored the intense, gripping plot that could indeed have been straight from the manga (and then some! wow!). I also adored the characterization of both Yuugi and Yami Yuugi, because it shot the uke-seme mold the fandom seems to love straight to hell.
I gotta say that Jounouchi's death was actually shocking and took me absolutely off-guard! I read the lines over and over and thought "Wow, this author got balls! Brilliant!" It just felt radically different from anything else I'd read in this fandom so far. The very real emotional impact could be felt througout the fic, which speaks volumes of your talent for consitency.
The way you wrote Kaiba as this cold-hearted, calculating madman was also something I didn't expect at all!
Overall it's a very brilliant piece you wrote here and definitely among the Top 5 Best fics in the entire Yu Gi Oh! fandom. Even if it's been 8 years since you've posted this I'd like to let you know how much it means to us readers to be allowed to immerse ourselves in such a great story to this day! I hope you're doing well and will continue to share your stories with us!

Chyme for the Rhyme chapter 21 . 6/5
There’s a lot to love about this fic; the descriptive thought put into how Yuugi’s perception shapes his surroundings, with all the little details included that some other authors would skip over, like how he views each game and it’s intricacies, move by move, to the way he analyses the differences between himself and Atem. I also love the realism, how the reality of money and a necessary disguise is discussed and sorted out between the two, highlighting not only the difference in morals between them, but how running away or being ‘out on the lamb’ is a nerve-racking and tiring procedure.

I love how the theme of games and playing them is forced outside the realm of Dual Monsters, how it plays into scenarios of life and death the way the original manga sought to tackle before it eventually became fixated on the necessary evil of promoting the game in question. Yuugi is quick and sharp here, while dealing with the struggle of the psychological trauma he’s been put through and the way you have him dealing with this alongside each ‘puzzle’ and ‘game’ he needs to solve, including the puzzle of solving Kaiba’s forced naming of his partner, help to express this beautifully.

And of course Jounouchi...his death is abrupt and takes place after only a few chapters, but he leaves behind such a colourful impact. And even after he’s gone and unable to help or encourage Yuugi anymore he’s presence is still felt to the way he gives the Other Yuugi a moment of poignant inspiration when he uses the method of Jounouchi’s last victory to break out of prison. And there’s a twist of irony that Jounouchi’s method to facilitate the survival of his own character no matter what, helped lead him straight into a bullet’s path later on.
I also adore the fleshing out of your various OCs here; they feel very much like real people and the nice titbits later on, expanding upon a family member we never got to see in canon, were very well thought-out.

And of course the most important message expressed in this piece: that Yuugi does not require the Pharaoh for survival. That he was always strong enough to survive on his own. Granted, his experiences in Titan have fashioned him into someone more capable than he was at the beginning of the story, but the potential was always there, even without a magic Puzzle wrapped round his neck. And that he learns to acknowledge this and say ‘but I still want this additional thing, this precious person with me anyway,’ speaks of what a lot of romance novelists could stand to learn.
Reynardetta chapter 21 . 4/30
I...that was... wow. I found this last night and I ended up staying awake until the sun rose reading it, and I passed out around 7, and as soon as I woke up I continued reading it, and just... that was /so intense/ holy shit. This is honestly one of the best fics I've read.
Mahayana chapter 21 . 4/27
First of all, to anyone reading who's looking for the smut in chapter 18, just google the fic title and author name, and there will be livejournal accounts with the uncensored chapters up.

As for the fic itself... I read through a number of reviews here and we all agree that this fic is magnificent, and I will tell you exactly why I love it so much.

You write with purpose. There is not a bit of excess story in this fic. Every detail builds on the characters, builds on the plot, and it's all... going somewhere. Reading Yuugi's trip through Titan, I never felt like I was wasting my time reading elaborate descriptions of landscapes or game mechanics. Every detail was important and interesting. The shell games, the hungover teenagers working at the fast food places (brilliantly named, I might add). It was all important, and I love you for it. I really, really do.

I am a big fan of season 0, and this fanfic could almost have been written by Kazuki Takahashi himself in those early days. I mean, Yuugi's grandmother, the Titan of the Marsh, was putting together a puzzle confession Sugoroku wrote for her... which Sugoroku loosely alluded to during the early chapter when Honda buys a blank puzzle to confess to Ribbon-chan. That was well played, madame! You have such great attention to detail.

I loved how all the games reflect the plot and the inner turmoil of the characters themselves. (Just like they do in the manga!) I even loved Granny Norie, even though her description was so... viscerally disgusting. haha She's a nice lady.
Hebi and Hikari could have walked straight out of an early chapter of Yugioh themselves. Though I did find it ironic that the girl named "Snake" ended up not being the one to kill everyone, and instead it was the girl named "Light." How ironic. haha

I'm a bit sad we never got to see Yuugi's promised duel with Kaiba, and that we never found out if Yuugi woke up at the end and how he got home, or if they found his dead, underwear-clad body in the bathroom stall... There was a whole other story waiting down that line of plot, including another trial probably because hey Yuugi just got tied up in another murder. But the ending was nice anyway. It ended at a good spot with a very moving, and theme-appropriate miracle of the die landing on its edge, and us readers are just greedy and want more. You were probably exhausted by the end writing so much, at such a consistently high level of quality. But you know, I really appreciate your hard work. You just gave me a wonderful three days of curling up in my bed and reading some really damn good fiction. My toes were curling at how well you set the gritty tone of the Yugioh universe, including naming all the neighboring towns after games. Brilliant!

And let me say, I like that Yuugi grew up to have a spine and even was on top! haha The whole point of the manga was for Yuugi to slowly learn how to stand up for himself and have self-confidence, so you were following the plot to its logical conclusion. I like seeing characters grow and change with the story. Well done!

I read this story once already, many years ago, but I was re-reading it today out of a fit of nostalgia (and a new Yugioh movie written by Kazuki Takahashi himself just came out, so it was good timing). The older I get, the more I appreciate just what you have done here, breaking so many cliches and stereotypes in Yugioh fanfiction. Thank you.

Marry me?
Anonymous chapter 8 . 12/4/2015
I haven't finished reading this yet, but so far I'm really enjoying it! As soon as I saw the name "Adam Young," I thought of Good Omens - and sure enough, his nickname is antichrist...

I've also appreciated the games you've used in this. The marble game I played as a kid, and the twist on the shell game Yuugi pulled a few chapters ago is a reference to the gameshow puzzle, which I learned about in statistics class. I think it was the right move, btw, not explaining to the audience that allowing the player to switch their choice increases their odds of winning. A little mystery is nice.

Since this story was written ages ago, I expect you'll never read this. Hell, I'm reading Yu Gi Oh fanfiction out of nostalgia. But I'm pretty impressed by your work, and if you're professionally published I'd be interested in knowing.
kaitenzero chapter 21 . 10/23/2015
This is honestly one of my favourite YGO fanfictions ever, I love your style of writing and the way you built up the relationship between Yugi and the other Yugi! Definitely a story I know I'll be re-reading at some point :)
I guess the only thing I'd give in criticism is that the ending felt a little rushed, it could have been slightly longer - but minor point really!
ZaboveNaught chapter 21 . 10/9/2015
I don't care how old this fanfic is, or if nobody sees this review; this might be the best fanfic I've ever read. In like every way this is perfect. It's certainly the best Puzzleshipping fic I've read so far, the characterisation, the development, the plot, the slash, everything was brilliant. Thank you.
vargs chapter 21 . 9/17/2015
Hooooly fucking shit. I am quite literally years late to this fandom and this is the best find I've had the good fortune of coming across. I don't even know if you check your anymore, seeing as so many people moved on to AO3, DW/LJ, Tumblr, and whatnot. I am so very glad this exists and that you wrote this and that it's still here. Thank you so much for this gift.

(also. small world. you made the tutorial for getting labelled LJ notifs in Gmail, right? i was searching up this fic on livejournal for the uncensored version and recognized your username. sometimes, I'm just awed at six-degrees-of-separation. I remember getting linked to it on Plurk back when I was still active in LJRP.)

(also, i think you modded at CnC. really, really small world. holy shit. damned at one point?)
Akayuki Novak chapter 21 . 6/24/2015
...*soft, disbelieving laugh* I /knew/ it was an impossible game. I know the layout of a die doesn't work like that. But... can I just say, /wow/. This whole story has been one ride of 'wow' all through-out. *frowns* There is one thing that I really want to know though. The sex scenes... what is that code? Or is it just dashes? Because I thought it was Morse code, but I didn't know what counted as a dash and what as a dot. And I kinda want to read the scenes.
Sophie-SSS chapter 21 . 1/17/2015
This was perfect in every way possible. The best yugioh fanfic I've ever read, by far. Congratulations. I don't know who you are, or if you will even read this, but thank you for the amazing experience.
koobre chapter 21 . 11/6/2014
I have no words to describe the emotion inflated in here. I am literally about to cry. No one, and I mean no one, has ever been able to write this sincere and keep it consistent. You made me feel so engrossed in the story, that no words can describe this. When I read this, I got more then a story. I got true emotion. This, is what writing should be like. Thank you for the beyond heavenly story. -Koobre
Anya chapter 21 . 8/16/2014
This was, without a doubt, the best yugioh fanfic I have ever read. Your writing style is very unique, and it lends itself well to this story. It seems you haven't been on FF for a long time now, so I doubt you'll see this, but the hours I spent reading this story today were definitely not wasted. Keep being awesome.
jj chapter 20 . 5/7/2014
nice my fav part is the end of chapter 16 lol to cute and all your crazy long names nicly done but a little confusing at times but i like it
Marzannar chapter 18 . 12/31/2013
Not a proper review, but since my plan to finish this story today has been thwarted, I thought I ought to tell you that this chapter has sign language I don't understand and does a remarkable job at being a mood killer. It might be intentionally so, but if it's not, please correct it. I didn't check the story's rating as I read on phone, but raise it if you feel apparent sex scenes need it. Don't cut scenes out because of it. Send me a reply, please, or otherwise I will be unsure whether I ought to continue if it's intended.