Reviews for That Which Does Not Kill You
imissmymind chapter 1 . 10/17/2007
God, that's sad. Beautiful, though. The part about Dean finally saying "I love you" when he's spent Sam's entire life trying to say it with actions was right on. Loved that line. Anyway, great job. I'll be looking forward to the forthcoming chapters.
ponyperson chapter 1 . 10/17/2007
oh, i love the Dean goes to Hell/Sammy saves him type stories... cant wait for this... more, more, soon, soon!
historylover chapter 1 . 10/17/2007
Great start! I can't wait for more!

Of course, I always love your writing.

raputathebuta chapter 1 . 10/17/2007
! Great start! Dean preparing to go & saying goodbye to Sammy makes me cry. Can't wait for the next chapter!
SophieSaulie chapter 1 . 10/17/2007
OH MY GOODNESS! What an AWESOME STORY! I loved every word. Being the DeanGirl that I shamelessly am, I just loved what you did with him! It was poignant, sweet, heroic (as always), oh so sad, had me sobbing, and was exactly what I could see Dean doing. A last protective act before going to his fate. The WONDERFUL things you had him do and say were so TOUCHING! I was plucking gobs of kleenex while reading it! I kind of hope that there is something similar to it on the show. I'm anticipating that Dean won't be "rescued" from his fate soon or even during "sweeps" months. I'm thinking it will become the season cliffhanger and your story has the kind of potential I was thinking of. AWESOME!

Fav. Parts:

Sitting in plain view, so that even groggy Sammy wouldn’t miss them, were his ring, his amulet and the keys to his baby, sitting on the registration. Dad had left her to him and now he was passing the Impala on to Sam. Not that the bitch would appreciate her; Sam continued to insist she was just a car. Some days, Dean wondered if they were really related.

- SO SWEET and yet hilarious about the Impala

The one thing he kept was the anti-possession charm Bobby had given him after Sam had been possessed by Meg, what now seemed to be a lifetime ago. Hell was going to get his soul, but he’d be damned (okay, yeah, he was, but…) if he would give himself up to be possessed and used against Sam or other hunters or innocent people.

-SO DEAN! Always in protective mode.

The short note had taken Dean forever to compose; he had been working on it for the last six weeks. Then again, saying that stuff did not come easily to him and he had written and ripped up a dozen prior attempts.

- I could see this and I giggled at the thought.

If Sam came along, Dean knew without question his idiot younger brother would try something, anything, to keep Dean from being taken to Hell. And Sam would probably get himself killed in the process, which would make it all for nothing.

- So true!

“I love you, Sammy; I have from the minute Mom and Dad told me I was going to be a big brother. Now, move on, damn you, and live! For me, if you won’t do it for yourself.”

-where the gobs of kleenex started to be plucked

“You take care of him for me, sweetheart, okay?” he whispered. Swallowing a sudden lump in this throat, he continued walking.

-more gobs of kleenex

He had been honest about it. “I’m not going to tell you I’ve changed my mind. I still don’t think you’re out there, and if you are, I want to know where the He—heck, you’ve been. Why I’ve seen and fought demons, but never met an angel on the battlefield. Why you let all this cr—uh, stuff happen to good people.

“But just in case, I want to ask two favors. I’ve never asked for anything from you before, so it’s not like I’ve used up my turn. I, uh, I want you to make Sammy forget. About me and the Deal and everything. He deserves a good life, a happy life, a fucking—um, sorry—normal one. And a family, and all that other good stuff. He’s killing himself over this Deal and I didn’t want that. Blaming himself. It wasn’t his fault, it was mine. I failed, not him! I didn’t protect him, I didn’t do the job Dad left me. I shouldn’t even have been here, Dad should have been and he would have done the job right. So, if Sam’s forgetting me is what it takes to help him move on,’s okay with me.”

He had taken a deep breath then and gripped the back of the pew in front of him. “And I won’t try to say I’m not scared. I am. Eternity’s a long time. But Dad went without wimping out and, uh, well, um, just don’t let me dishonor myself, okay?”

- This WHOLE THING WAS AMAZING! So true to Dean's voice and yet poignant and touching! LOVED IT!

Dean squared his shoulders, nodded and met the beast’s eyes. brave!

Dean stood his ground. “But you, Dean Winchester, are different. This dealmattered.” There was a rumble in the demon’s chest that Dean thought was supposed to be laughter.

Dean shrugged. “A Winchester, and all that.”

“It amuses me to take you alive, not just your soul but your mortal form as well. More to play with.”

The beast gestured with one arm, and Dean felt himself grabbed as if by a huge hand and he was pulled, soul and body, into the maw. Oddly, his final words were “What the hell was it talking about?”

He sort of wished they had been something more memorable.

I am DYING to read what's next! The sicko DeanGirl side of me hopes there's some suffering for Dean ahead, hee, hee!

Great story!
deangirl1 chapter 1 . 10/17/2007
Very cool beginning. I like how you have Dean step up to the plate. It gives me goosebumps to think about this happening to him at the end of the year, but you've written it beatifully. Gotta agree that some high-level demon is gonna be pretty happy to get Dean - he is important in his own right...

I'm also in total agreement that just because Dean goes, he doesn't have to give up and stay - Dad did get out. I love that you address the potential problem of what body Dean would inhabit - kind of the big reason that John had to move on (besides the fact that Jeffery Dean Morgan is now a hot movie property..). I'll be keeping an eye out for your posts!
Sundance99 chapter 1 . 10/17/2007
I really liked the beginning, hope you post more soon.
DeeUnnatural chapter 1 . 10/17/2007
Like the start. Can'twait to see which way you go with it.
JackFrost23 chapter 1 . 10/17/2007
This one is freaky1
Antigone11 chapter 1 . 10/17/2007
Great start! It sounds like Satan himself came up to get Dean. I'm intrigued by the fact that he's so pleased to Dean 'alive.' I'm also very glad that you seem to be setting this up so that Dean primarily gets himself out of hell. I've read a lot of stories where it's all Sam's doing. I certainly expect Sam to do everything he can, but I'm excited to see Dean take an active role in fighting/conniving/tricking his own way out.
Ster1 chapter 1 . 10/17/2007
Really intriguing first chapter-loved the way Dean took care of Sam even at the end. And poor Dean, trying to be brave and honorable in the face of hell. Looking forward to reading more!
ukfan101 chapter 1 . 10/17/2007
great start. I want to read more.
Nana56 chapter 1 . 10/17/2007
This is a fine way to start the day, crying and all that. Very well written, my dear and the hook is buried deep. When's the next chapter coming?
Janissa11 chapter 1 . 10/17/2007
Ooh, great start! Looking forward to more!
149 | « Prev Page 1 .. 7 8 9 10